What are odds the next MBP 13" gets discrete graphics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ls1dreams, Apr 25, 2011.

1. ls1dreams, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Is anyone familiar with intel's roadmap / nvidia's agreements in the near future?

I'm trying to time the purchase of my first macbook (have a work owned one now), but absolutely want discrete graphics.

How likely is a late fall / winter MBP 13 to have it? What chips/performance would we be able to expect?

The big problem it seems is that Intel doesn't plan to release Ivy Bridge until sometime in the first half of 2012. So, no idea what Apple will release later this year. Maybe just a chassis upgrade with the slightly improved SB chips?

If so, sounds like I might be waiting a while =/

2. goMac macrumors 603

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Slim and none. My prediction is that it will just not happen, or at least be quite a while.

4. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

seconded. get a 15iner if you really need the extra horsepower. I imagine heat is a central issue here

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup, the fall release will likely be a small spec bump. It will be early next year before you can hope of seeing a discrete GPU in a 13'. Grab a 15', its not as heavy as you think.

6. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

nvidia isn't part of Intel's picture. Intel kicked them out. No more chipsets.

Integrated Graphics by Intel is what you have to look forward to from now until the end of time - at least with Apple and their 13" macs. Intentional or not... Sandy Bridge was their testing ground for this approach and considering the sales numbers... nobody seems to care. :(

A new sub-par standard has been set and it is the Intel IGP.

7. Criticalmass macrumors member

Criticalmass

the 13 inch MBP won't get discreet graphics back until Apple does a major redesign. I can almost guarantee it. They also won't increase the resolution until it gets a major redesign.

The bad news is that we don't know when that will happen as Apple is trying to pretend consumers don't care about notebooks anymore. That it's all about ipads and Macbook Air's, which is total B.S, but that's how Apple often tries to control the market, and give itself the excuse for not updating a line of products.

And honestly the Optimus technology isn't that great, I don't know how much longer it will continue to fly. I think manufacturers are going about the battery life issue at all the wrong angles, they need to find ways to cram more power into the batteries instead of adding things like graphics switching and the like to save power.

Or they just need to give up the ghost and start adding solar panels to the notebook lids to help increase the life-off-the-plug.

8. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Well... until the stock price goes south there won't be any change in strategy.

Simple fact. Get used to it.

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

There is a reason why 13 inch starts off at 1199 dollars and 15 inch starts off at 1699 and 1799 dollars.

One of the reasons is the discrete graphic card.

13 inch always has been Pro for light users.

The real MBPs are the 15 inch and 17 inch.

This trend will continue for a while.

10. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

THIS.
    It would be fantastic to have a solar panel...wonder how large it would have to be to make any difference? What if the apple on the front were a solar panel? :D

11. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

In this day and age, a solar panel that size would give you an extra 30 seconds to a minute prolly. Honestly Im not sure, but I know that it wouldn't do much of anything. Solar power is terribly inefficient these days, but they are working on it.

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

13 inch getting it? I hope not for the sake of cost containment.

As far as battery issues, power efficiency is going to be one of the biggest improvement features of Ivy Bridge, basing this from what I have read.

If the Apple logo was a solar panel, that would be badass. The only downside would be the costs and minimal gain...imagine a 13 inch computer with a 42 inch external solar panel...

13. aeronleslie macrumors newbie

how do u start a thread on this site?

How do you start a new thread...?

14. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Well, by that logic the lowly macbook should cost more than the MBP because it still has a separate GPU.

Please don't make Apple out to be geniuses when it comes to the differences in MBP's and how they are priced. You make it sound like they intentionally left out the discrete graphics in the MBP13 to warrant the higher price on the 15/17 versions when in fact... it's only because the MBP13 unibody was too small and Apple was too lazy to think it through.

15. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Click the "New Thread" button?