What are people's thoughts on ADHD medication?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TechGod, Jul 19, 2014.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I know the answer for myself but I'd be interested in others opinions.

2. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

It technically might be good for people who actually have ADHD, but the bigger problem is that the ADHD diagnosis is thrown out like after-dinner mints.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree that it is way over diagnosed.

4. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Yup it is technically good. But while my grades went up I had gotten into a depressive state and had lack of sleep and loss of appetite. For me the 2 meds I tried were not the best.

5. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I remember when I was diagnosed. They said it could either be ADHD or Manic Depression. Are you sure you were diagnosed correctly?

6. Meister, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

Of course if a doctor diagnosis you with something its probably a good idea to take his meds.

This is why I dont go to any doctors :D

I think either mental illnesses are over-diagnosed or people are just getting crazier all the time.

It seems to be a side effect of modern society.
    Stone age hunters simply had no time to be depressed because they were busy staying alive.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think for those who need them, they're great. However, I think most people with ADD would be better served with counseling and a personal trainer. Physical exercise is not a cure all but for many health issues it can moderate the worst effects. As a society, were too concerned with the quick fix rather than what is best in the long term.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Sure seems like it

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is the problem with medications. They all have side effects. It seems like it would be better if they helped patients with less severe cases learn coping mechanisms prior to prescribing drugs. Also as Ugg mentioned regular exercise helps quite a bit with hyperactivity. Taking medicine for an indefinite period of time really should be a last resort due to the combination of side effects and potential financial strain.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I may have, allegedly, tried some while studying for university exams and it was amazing, I powered through an accounting textbook as if it was a best selling novel.

11. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I'm 100% about it. I it's just not in my head, the symptoms of ADHD are always present and it bothers me. But I can't do anything about it.

----------

See, for some people the side effects weren't all that bad but for me it was the worst thing ever so I guess it varies upon person to person.

I am lower on the scale of ADHD so I think it would have been better if I was taught coping mechanisms.

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I had a teacher lecture us about ADHD once. (Oh man, that teacher was great. I learnt more than the subject he actually taught, haha)

He said that if only parents were enforcing proper diet and exercise that the majority of people "diagnosed" with ADHD, wouldn't have those symptoms to begin with. Because it's true, the majority of people I knew that were ADHD at school, were the same people chugging down soda and sweets all day. Sadly enough, I knew people with diabetes who also were continuing that same lifestyle.

I watched a documentary recently where they were talking about products being designed for the sake of scaring people into buying them. Mouthwash was one of those things that wasn't common until they scared you into thinking everyone noticed your bad breath, and cholesterol medication used similar tactics - It is ONE problem that can lead to a heart attack, but they make you think it's the ONLY thing that can. The current "high numbers" today, were still normal before the regulations to make them seem bothersome kicked in.

My mom takes ADHD medication, depression medication, pain medication, and I'm pretty sure something else. At this point, they do nothing for her, she just sounds and acts like she's on drugs 24/7. The darn lady is hyper all the time too, I can never get her to shut up while watching TV, sitting in the living room, or wherever. And when she doesn't take her medication, she will make your life a living nightmare.

So I have to agree with the teacher on this one. Just changing your lifestyle most likely will help with any attention disorders, especially if you disagree with your doctor's opinion.

Because they can only do so little with what information they give you. In my case, last year I went to a doctor about headaches. The only thing he could do was prescribe painkillers for the meantime before I had an MRI. I had the MRI, and then saw a Neurologist. Turns out I have a tiny aneurysm on the side of my brain, but he was confused because something like that doesn't just show up, and I probably have had it for years and years because of my original head surgery.

You know what I figured out what was causing those headaches in the end? The stupid parallaxing in the original iOS 7 developer builds. I haven't had them since I turned it off.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Source, please.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm also skeptical when people call things over-diagnosed, but I really question whether everything should be handled with medication given its potential side effects.

Some psychologists will acknowledge various treatment that doesn't involve medication. Just having a tranquil work area when it comes to dealing with anything that requires careful attention is generally helpful. As mentioned exercise helps with hyperactivity. My concern is merely that the side effects on some of these things have the potential to be pretty bad, yet they are at least sometimes used as the first attempt at treatment.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Counterpoint (unless "majority" means the same as "subset") ...

----------

It would seem to me that it's up to each person (and their doctor) to judge the benefit of any medication and weigh it against the experienced side effects.

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Sure.

I still think better diet and exercise should be the first step, instead of just coming to the conclusion that medication is the solution.

17. TechGod, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014

TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I'm sorry but I very well damn know it's not my diet. I know that it's nothing to do with my diet and more likely to do with my glucose falling so fast a day after my birth. It was near critical level so that could be where the ADHD comes from, again not related to my diet. I think for many people it is but not me.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'd like to add that tv is probably also a culprit.

19. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

That TV that I never watch?

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Could you source that, and explain the logic behind that assertion.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Even when you were a kid?

I'm of the belief that the passivity of tv viewing is hugely detrimental to children. I've seen friends turn on the tv and their kids instantly become little zombies. That cannot be good for the mind and it's definitely not good for the body.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2007/09/08/tv-adhd/

http://www.seattlechildrens.org/media/press-release/2004/04/000155/

These are two studies that support the TV/ADD connection, I'm sure there are many more.

I've also read that just being outside in a park, amongst trees produces a calming effect on all people but especially those with ADD. In today's increasingly harried, paranoid suburban households, just going to a park is viewed as a major event.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's not like they become complete mental blanks, staring at the pixels as they move about the screen without acknowledging the context and meaning of what they're seeing. They're processing and absorbing information, just like with anything.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

As one of those links states, the shifts between scenes don't reflect real life, much less the fact that the speed of the action doesn't allow time for reflection or introspection. If you're reading a book, you can lay it down for a second or two to think about it. If you're playing a game with people you're interacting not only with people but also with the game.

One of the biggest losses in post WWII life is the time for random thought. How many kids these days get to lie on their backs andd look at the clouds, creating an entire world out of wisps of nothing? Too many of them are either plunked in front of a tv or forced to march in lockstep to their parents' wishes for non-stop soccer, piano, play dates, tutoring, etc.

We've gone from a mostly autonomous world to one even Orwell would be shocked by.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Do not limit that behavior to kids. I still do that, and I don't watch very much television. It never goes over 1-2 shows per week. I do sometimes spend too much time posting on here though.

25. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm saying it's a FIRST STEP to take. Obviously it's not the case with everyone. But some professionals will stuff a prescription into your hands before advising/doing anything else, and that's just bad. I've been to an emergency room where they just took a checklist of my symptoms and then immediately wanted me to go have surgery.

I have seen too many people like you go through multiple medications for ADHD. Everyone has the same issue with the side effects. It sucks because the parents will be okay with not making you take it and suffer, but then teachers will be like, you have to do something about this.

I DON'T think there's anything wrong with taking the medication, but you have to rule everything else out first, especially if you're going on medications that have drastic side effects.