What are Prisons for? rethink

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by whoknows87, Mar 25, 2014.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

When I first read this I couldn't help, but laugh then I thought about it for a few seconds, who in their right mind would do such a thing? no one which answered my question a person NOT in their right mind, clearly prisons do not rehabilitate people, and they do a horrible job of helping those who did wrong do right and somehow giving them a shot to assimilate back into society once out, once they leave that prison, the last thing anyone in that prison should want is a few coming back again and again and again ... looks like some folks don't need to be in prison but rather a mental hospital where they can seek treatment for whatever conditions they have........... here is the story
    Police say a man walked out of a New Jersey prison after serving 15 years for robbing a children's shoe store, headed straight back to the same shop and robbed it again.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...River-Leaves-Prison-Robs-Store-252265861.html

In 1999, 25-year-old Christopher Miller was arrested after he forced employees into the back room of the Stride Rite shoe store on Hooper Avenue in Toms River, tied them up and fled with cash.

After a 15-year sentence, Miller was released on Friday from South Woods State Prison in Bridgeton.

Police say Miller, now 40, took a bus from Atlantic City to Toms River on Saturday, and went to the same shoe store.

Employees tell police that he entered the store and demanded cash, telling the workers -- a teenage boy and 43-year-old woman -- to go to the back room. They refused.

He became agitated, according to police, and took the cash register drawer, which had $389.

2. dec. Suspended

dec.

I like your opening sentence as it is longer than most of those that I write and they can be really, really long since I have a weird habit of mostly using punctuation marks like commas, colons and semicolons as opposed to full stops without really knowing why, although I've began to wonder more and more about it, maybe there's some incident in my history that made me scare away from full stops but that is getting kind of off topic so I'll try to answer your question: A person does something weird after his prison sentence (his interpunctuation didn't go that well, so to speak *giggle*) why would that one case lead you to the conclusion that "prisons clearly do not rehabilitate people"?

3. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

In the US? Prisons main objective is to have a large " customer base " to build more prisons. Mostly to funnel taxpayer money into Corporate Coffers

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Clearly a person who had no idea whatsoever what to do when he got out.

More generally, prisons today mainly serve for the purpose of revenge. Oh, and, to line the pockets of the private prison industry. Rehabilitation is "too expensive" and "often doesn't work". So, people get locked away for ever longer periods at great expense to the public.

And, to top it all off, a large fraction of the people in city and county jails are actually mentally ill homeless people who either committed petty crimes, or, are actually arrested for humanitarian reasons because otherwise they would die on the streets. There was an article about it in the Los Angeles Times recently. Basically a review of the situation that has persisted since the 1980's, shortly after most of the mental hospitals were closed (1989 version):

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-12-04/local/me-2_1_homeless-mentally-ill-people

Same situation prevails today.

Here is a book about how the jail-mental-hospital system works and what it is like inside:

http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Fathers-Through-Americas-Madness/dp/0425213897/

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I once listened to a radio interview where someone was advocating for making physical abuse (like lashings) an option over serving a prison sentence. At first I was horrified, but then he brought up the point "Think of it this way. If you had the option to go to prison for 10 years or receive 20 lashings on your back, which would you choose? And if you would choose the lashings, what does that say about our prison system?"

The man had a point.

P-Worm

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think in the US a more important question is, "Are you locking the RIGHT people up"

Given the numbers if people who are wrongly convicted, later proved by DNA.

Plus the very stupid "WAR on drugs" which fills prisons to breaking point.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm no psychologist, but that sounds pretty clearly like he wanted to a) get caught and b) get sent back to prison.

It certainly is not unprecedented for some prisoners to want, consciously or otherwise, to be returned to prison. And while very few people would describe the living conditions in prison as pleasant, they do offer a certain level of security (you are provided with food and shelter) and - perhaps more importantly - the "freedom" of having to take much responsibility for one's own existence.

The first time Mr Miller robbed the shoe store it was most likely a purely criminal act. The second time it was the act of someone with psychological problems.

8. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Reminds me of Murder in the First:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113870/

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its purpose isn't to rehabilitate, but to restrict the freedoms of those who have broken the law. If the purpose of prison was to rehabilitate we wouldn't give life in prison as a sentence.

10. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Makes perfect sense. But it also makes sense not to let our anti crime system dump people into circumstances that encourage more crime.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Rehabilitation should be reserved for non-violent offenders and people who haven't killed or hurt anyone by being stupid and high.

Cross that line and it's unpleasant stretches, life or sparky.

12. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Repeat offenders, and especially those still involved in violence while in prison, need to be sentenced to death to free up space for people who can be helped. And ban private prisons in the process.

13. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

The US needs a mixed economy. Private prisons have got to be the stupidest thing I've heard all day. A prison is not a business and the fact that it is treated as one is very disturbing regarding the safety of normal citizens.

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Prisons are no longer for rehabilitation. Prisons are for warehousing those who can't follow the rules of society. This individual was an example of exactly what prisons are. For 15 years the people were safe from him. Now when he returns to prison, they will be safe for 15 more.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

At least part of it's purpose should be. (IMO)

Prisoners get released.

We should use the opportunity to facilitate the transition back into society and enhance their chances of turning their life around.

If we don't, then were punishing society as well as the felon.

16. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

It doesn't look like your prisons are for rehab though even though they should be. I see absolutely no advantage to prisons being private other then the owners of it. I thought America was a promised land but when something as basic as prisons can be private, not so much(gives owners incentive to be greedy and mistreat)

Thank god I'm 16 and discovering all the wrong in the US system, better then finding out after moving.

I absolutely agree, what the hell will people learn in prison they get free food and shelter, that's far better then normal citizens that have done no wrong.

17. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Even from an ROI standpoint, its gotta be cheaper to spend 10 or 20% more during a first incarceration than to pay 100% for a second.

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Rehabilitation does not work. They've tried it over and over again. It's a waste of money. Make the sentences harsh, the prison conditions horrible and people won't want to keep coming back. Take out the air conditioning and remove the cable for starters.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Prisions such as Eastern State Penitentiary were designed with rehabilitation in mind as opposed to other systems that just took people off of the streets. Interesting really and had been the basis of many prision throughout the world

Ever wonder where the word penitentiary came from?

20. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Apart from OPs example, most criminals don't expect to be caught, or atleast don't think of that possibility while commiting a crime.

Or why do you think there are so many murders in the US compared to other (1st world) countries which not only don't have capital punishment but even limit the time to be served to 15 years or less...

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Except, you know, it does.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18135537

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And you would be wrong.

From the Florida Department of Corrections ...

Or this ...

Or this ...

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Prison Rehabilitation does NOT work and is expensive. This is blatantly obvious when you look up inmates and see the number of times that they've been incarcerated. If rehabilitation worked well, there wouldn't be fewer people returning to prison.

Georgia Prison System website allows you to look up inmates. Throw a random name in there and look at the number of times they've been incarcerated.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I fail to see why you're making this point again when it has been completely debunked by the two posts above.

Unless you've got some better explanation as to why Norway's island prison has the worlds lowest rate of reoffending.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you stamp your feet harder it might make that statement true.

;)