What are some good ways to invest in yourself in 2020?

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Of course it's probably a good idea to invest well in your financial future, but what are some other things someone could invest in to make their life better?

Currently I've been investing in my health, my education so I can have the highest degree in my field, my looks so I can present myself well to the world.

I guess I could start by being more organized. That would be a good one. Another one off the top of my head is that I could diversify what I do with my day. I only have a few interests and don't really try new things, ever. So maybe I could do some new things this year as well.

Reactions: avz and b0fh666

torvan

macrumors member
For me, it was:

Writing exactly 100 different "Things I am grateful for" things. I did 10 of them over 10 weeks in 2019. It helps remind you what you are grateful for and what things matter the most to you.

Journaling at least once a week,but limiting myself to a single page. This forced me to really concentrate on what I am writing, why I am writing it, and what really mattered that day.

Getting off social media for a given period of time. I took three weeks off all social media during Lent, and took all of September, October, November and December off as well (and have not yet returned). To substitute, I wrote letters (by hand, which was a 30 year throwback), and made/received phone calls. I realized in doing so who the people were to whom I truly mattered. It was jarring that really few of my "friends" gave a damn to contact me or return my calls/letters.

All this allowed me to detoxify my world and my days. It allowed me to sit out in the morning (when weather allowed) and enjoy relative quiet (I live in a large urban area) while I had my morning tea/chocolate. It allowed me to clear my mind of the junk that is today's world. It gave me time to read books that have challenged preconceptions and understandings of history, to become more aware of my surroundings, and gave me more of an idea who I am today as opposed to a decade or two ago.

Certainly organization is a worthy goal, as is self evaluation. Perhaps make a list of your likes/dislikes and reconsider the dislikes as a way to see if your tastes have changed. Try a new cuisine you have not had before, or even take a daily walk around your neighborhood without using tech (like an Ipod). Take in the sounds, the homes/businesses, observe the traffic pattern, stop at a coffee shop and just people watch for an hour. You might be surprised at the result.

I applaud your interest in expanding your mind and life!

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
For me, it was:

Writing exactly 100 different "Things I am grateful for" things. I did 10 of them over 10 weeks in 2019. It helps remind you what you are grateful for and what things matter the most to you.

Journaling at least once a week,but limiting myself to a single page. This forced me to really concentrate on what I am writing, why I am writing it, and what really mattered that day.

Getting off social media for a given period of time. I took three weeks off all social media during Lent, and took all of September, October, November and December off as well (and have not yet returned). To substitute, I wrote letters (by hand, which was a 30 year throwback), and made/received phone calls. I realized in doing so who the people were to whom I truly mattered. It was jarring that really few of my "friends" gave a damn to contact me or return my calls/letters.

All this allowed me to detoxify my world and my days. It allowed me to sit out in the morning (when weather allowed) and enjoy relative quiet (I live in a large urban area) while I had my morning tea/chocolate. It allowed me to clear my mind of the junk that is today's world. It gave me time to read books that have challenged preconceptions and understandings of history, to become more aware of my surroundings, and gave me more of an idea who I am today as opposed to a decade or two ago.

Certainly organization is a worthy goal, as is self evaluation. Perhaps make a list of your likes/dislikes and reconsider the dislikes as a way to see if your tastes have changed. Try a new cuisine you have not had before, or even take a daily walk around your neighborhood without using tech (like an Ipod). Take in the sounds, the homes/businesses, observe the traffic pattern, stop at a coffee shop and just people watch for an hour. You might be surprised at the result.

I applaud your interest in expanding your mind and life!
Thank you! I really enjoyed reading your post. Just reading it was relaxing and calming.

I like how you said re-evaluate your dislikes because I was thinking the EXACT same thing yesterday.

For example, I am working on getting the highest degree in my field, but tbh I don't really enjoy school work so I'm going part time. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to studying if I'm being honest. I'm not in really any rush to finish.

But yesterday I decided, why not push myself and work a little harder and stay a little busier? I think my overall net happiness and life satisfaction would increase because I would feel challenged by the course load and a sense of satisfaction from working harder.

Reactions: torvan

torvan

macrumors member
Thank you! I really enjoyed reading your post. Just reading it was relaxing and calming.

I like how you said re-evaluate your dislikes because I was thinking the EXACT same thing yesterday.

For example, I am working on getting the highest degree in my field, but tbh I don't really enjoy school work so I'm going part time. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to studying if I'm being honest. I'm not in really any rush to finish.

But yesterday I decided, why not push myself and work a little harder and stay a little busier? I think my overall net happiness and life satisfaction would increase because I would feel challenged by the course load and a sense of satisfaction from working harder.
You are welcome--I am glad that I can be of help in that way. I am also glad you are going to push yourself harder because you can, in effect "get it over with" which is what drove me to complete my MS Pharm. I did not want to go the PhD route because of the student loan debt that would make it too expensive, and my state did not require me to have the PhD to be licensed back then anyway, unlike today. But what it also taught me (besides medicine and human anatomy) was tools in stress reduction and how to write effectively without being overly "wordy" which really comes in handy outside of work as well as inside of it.

I am also glad you are changing your mindset into "this is a challenge" as opposed to "this is an obstacle" because that will set yourself on the path to studying more effectively and will make you much happier when each part is over. For example, at the end of the term, I would always reward myself for it's completion, and really reward myself if I pulled off grades in the upper 5% (which I usually did) and threw one hell of a house party when I finished the Masters dissertation and it was accepted on just the second draft!

Reactions: Hieveryone

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
You are welcome--I am glad that I can be of help in that way. I am also glad you are going to push yourself harder because you can, in effect "get it over with" which is what drove me to complete my MS Pharm. I did not want to go the PhD route because of the student loan debt that would make it too expensive, and my state did not require me to have the PhD to be licensed back then anyway, unlike today. But what it also taught me (besides medicine and human anatomy) was tools in stress reduction and how to write effectively without being overly "wordy" which really comes in handy outside of work as well as inside of it.

I am also glad you are changing your mindset into "this is a challenge" as opposed to "this is an obstacle" because that will set yourself on the path to studying more effectively and will make you much happier when each part is over. For example, at the end of the term, I would always reward myself for it's completion, and really reward myself if I pulled off grades in the upper 5% (which I usually did) and threw one hell of a house party when I finished the Masters dissertation and it was accepted on just the second draft!
Nice! Always gotta love a good house party hehe 😃

And yes cost is so sky high for school. I was not willing to pay $250K for my degree so I just went in-state to my local university. It's a pretty well known state school famous for science research and medicine, but my program is in business and by no means ranked or anything like that.

I like it though. Faculty are laid back, but at the same time there's plenty of opportunity to learn and network if one chooses to maximize it. What one puts in is what one will get out.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2016
Of course it's probably a good idea to invest well in your financial future, but what are some other things someone could invest in to make their life better?

Currently I've been investing in my health, my education so I can have the highest degree in my field, my looks so I can present myself well to the world.

I guess I could start by being more organized. That would be a good one. Another one off the top of my head is that I could diversify what I do with my day. I only have a few interests and don't really try new things, ever. So maybe I could do some new things this year as well.
Looking at your usual insecurities, invest in a better therapist and much much more education. Then, travel the world. If you think you’ve seen every continent, heard every language, had every argument, start all over again.

Healer Flame

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2019
but what are some other things someone could invest in to make their life better?
Be ultra super greedy 🤠
If you notice those who drive $100 000 + cars will complain and whine about 10 cents price rice. Where as the poor won't mind donating $100.

🎼🎼🎺🎷🎻 life oh life......ohhhh life🎤🎤🎤🎼🎼

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Looking at your usual insecurities, invest in a better therapist and much much more education. Then, travel the world. If you think you’ve seen every continent, heard every language, had every argument, start all over again.
Dude I’m earning the highest degree in my field rn And I don’t say that in a bragadocious way but not everyone With education feels the need to show others they’re educated by using big words and acting smart

ericwn

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2016
Dude I’m earning the highest degree in my field rn And I don’t say that in a bragadocious way but not everyone With education feels the need to show others they’re educated by using big words and acting smart
And you may be smart in a field but based on your questions in any other area of life you are not. Don’t discuss the obvious. You asked for advice - you got it.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
And you may be smart in a field but based on your questions in any other are of life you are not. Don’t discuss the obvious. You asked for advice - you got it.
i don’t claim to be smart at anything. I just do the best I can and ask for help when I need it and however far that takes me is fine with me I’m perfectly content

ericwn

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2016
i don’t claim to be smart at anything. I just do the best I can and ask for help when I need it and however far that takes me is fine with me I’m perfectly content[/]

Sure sure. You received my advice. Try to educate yourself even more. Education hardly happens in Internet forums.

Step away from superficialities.

Make your own experiences rather than ask strangers.

I’ll repeat until it sinks in.