What are some maintenance steps you can take to keep your MBPr running like new?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Feb 25, 2015.

1. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

None. OS X will take care of itself, without the need for user interference. Unless you're experiencing a particular problem, just relax and use your Mac and let it take care of maintenance.

2. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Firefox got slow, then I deleted all the files and reinstalled it. Now it runs like new.

There are steps you can take

3. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

I try not to install poorly written programs in the first place. I look at the highest rated reviews, and more importantly, the average to low ratings. I also do not install programs that mirror OSXʻs built in functionality. This is of course a personal preference as Iʻm sure many users prefer their aftermarket programs for various reasons. Just comes down your needs.

Lastly, Iʻve learned (as well as-Iʻm sure-almost all veteran Mac users) how to properly uninstall programs. Know how to clean your system caches and folders. Donʻt depend on useless utilities that end up deleting more than they should.

4. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Firefox is pretty standard. I mean, you can't say it's poorly written. Anyway, how do I clean caches and properly delete files? I just followed this to delete it which is also the instructions in the firefox website:

1. Drag the Firefox application to the Trash.

2. Firefox also has a .plist file at ~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist you may wish to remove.

If you also wish to remove your Firefox user data and settings (bookmarks, extensions, etc.) trash the "Firefox" folder, located here: ~Library/Application Support/Firefox. [2] See Removing user profile data (below) for additional information.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox

5. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Think you misunderstood. loll...I wasnʻt talking about Firefox, I think Firefox is a great browser. I was talking about software in general. Many new Mac users will buy a new Mac, go the app store, and download software that they donʻt need or that does stuff your system already does.

Run it lean and clean...thatʻs my advice. :)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those aren't maintenance steps. That's resolving a particular problem with a particular app, although your "solution" was likely overkill, rather than simply troubleshooting the issue.

7. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Don't install crap - that's the best way to keep it running like new.

8. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Exactly! I run it lean and clean. I don't download apps from the app store.

I don't keep any widgets.

The only extras I have are chrome, firefox, pages, notes, keynote, google earth, google drive, and turbo tax lol.

----------

Troubleshoot didn't work. So I just completely deleted it and re-installed it. Now it's fast again. Although it still doesn't feel the same as before, but I'm thinking that's just in my head..

9. austinpike macrumors 6502

Don't "update" major OS revisions.
    Use it as a reason to backup, reformat and do a clean install.

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Repair the permissions occasionally in disk utility. Keep an external backup. Wait until the 10.x.1 update before moving to a new OSX version.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

12. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

None! That's the beauty of OS X. Gone are the days of maintaining a pristine windows os.

On the hardware side, clean the heat sink with compressed air once per two weeks to prevent dust build up and slow your mac down

13. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

it's a computer use it to it's fullest and when it dies or something better comes out, replace it.

14. leman macrumors 604

If it slows down with the time, then I'd say that its poorly written ;) But in general, I've been using Macs for a while and I never noticed any performance degradation. Very very rarely a buggy system process runs rogue, and that might force you to restart the machine, but thats pretty much it...

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Nothing

Unless you download some third party nonsense then they pretty much look after themselves...

16. dudeslife macrumors member

dudeslife

FruitJuice is a great app for maintaining your battery health

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That app is useless. There is no need to "maintain" an Apple notebook battery or drain to a specific percentage on a specific schedule. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

18. dudeslife macrumors member

dudeslife

Actually, it is not useless. It follows Apple's battery recommendations and does the thinking for you. It is especially useful for people who mainly keep their notebook plugged in. I would go months without unplugging on my first battery. Fruitjuice works great as a reminder tool.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple doesn't recommend anything that Fruitjuice does.
    There's nothing wrong with leaving it plugged in. You and the app developers are operating on old information that does not apply to today's Apple notebook batteries. Apple makes no recommendation about how long to stay plugged in or how often to run on battery power. The app is useless.

From the developer's FAQ page:
    Apple makes no such recommendation.
    That is not a cycle. Read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the Battery FAQ that I posted to learn what a real cycle is.

20. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

With a name like fruitjuice....I'll leave it there :D

21. dudeslife macrumors member

dudeslife

From Apple's website:

Do not fully charge or fully discharge your device’s battery — charge it to around 50%. If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may lose some capacity, leading to shorter battery life.

Does that not apply to leaving it plugged in all of the time. Fully charged?

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, that applies to long-term storage of a battery or notebook.

23. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

If you really want to boost battery, turn off the psycedilic screen saver that comes stock. I love it, but it definitel drains my batery

24. dudeslife macrumors member

dudeslife

Well, Apple's official stance may be this but my first battery performance declined to about 2 hours after 3 years of use (mostly plugged in). Would you consider this normal and acceptable?