What are some situations where you found Live Photos nice to have?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I have mine turned off. I see it more as a gimmick than anything else at this point.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah ok. I see. That would be a good reason for Live Photos.

4. Gav2k, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Using Live Photos saves using burst shot and you tend to catch the moments upto and after which with kids is just perfect.

5. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

Any landscape or static shots, it's obviously not that compelling.

But for my daughter, cats, or anything hard to take a picture of, it's awesome.

7. pika2000 macrumors 68030

It is also good to capture the nuance of an environment (eg. a bustling city, a street performance, etc).
    Once the likes of Facebook supports it directly, we will see people using it more.

8. keithneese macrumors newbie

I have a 7 month old daughter. I just got the 6s on Friday night. I have been able to catch her laughing or babbling in photos thanks to the live photo function. I honestly love it.

9. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

The frame rate is quite poor. I did capture some Fireworks with it to show to people and it was good for that I guess. I can see how it would be good for kids, but perhaps a higher quality and frame rate would be better.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I turned mine off before the first image taken and have not used it.

Do not see a lot of purpose for this feature for me.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I turn it on as necessary. I don't use it a lot, but it's a nice feature when you want it.

12. lordhamster macrumors 6502

I use it occasionally when I'm trying to get a Portrait of my kids. It is nearly impossible to get two young kids to stand still for more than a nanosecond and look in the same direction. This adds an additional dimension to the still.

99% of the time though, I turn it off.

13. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

I took a picture of my daughter on a swing. That made for a pretty nice live photo. Other than that it's just an opportunity to accidentally see my messy house or hear me swearing. I definitely leave it off and only turn it on if I want to take a Live Photo specifically.

14. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

15. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I tried it but found it glitchy at best. So it's turned off.

I used it with my newly born niece and nephew and still didn't rate it.

16. S.T.A.R. macrumors regular

S.T.A.R.

17. cynics macrumors G3

I don't like them. They take away from the image I'm trying to capture. Plus they are too "proprietary" for me.

However I can see their appeal for some people.

Anyway, I just turned it off. I can think of a couple circumstances I'd like to use them however a video usually works better.

18. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

To eat up free space on my device.. I hate having all that free space.

Kidding. I turned mine off. I haven't even thought about using the feature since I've upgraded but that's just me. I'm sure others love them.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I have kids, dogs, cats, fish, a chinchilla, etc. I've taken zero Live Photos other than when I first got the phone to see what all the buzz was about. Well, after an upgrade it turned itself back on so I had to turn it off again. I'm not excited about going back to the days of low quality, low framerate video with obnoxious blur transitions. If I want video I take video. If I want a picture I take a picture. If I want both I choose the one I want more.

I don't mean to be cranky. I'm glad other folks are getting good use out of it!

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

21. skiltrip macrumors 68030

My kids playing in the leaves. This is the moment I went from considering it a silly gimmick to feeling it's something I really like.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I take a lot of pics of my son. Live Photos of him in the swings are among my favorite. I also like when we talk him "cheeseburger" and he grins. It's a little action shot.

If it is an important pic I turn Live Photos off though because there is a tendency for moving shots to come out blurry in the still part of the image. And, to me, a photo is still a photo first. In the swings example of say about half the pics turn out blurry. Thankful I got a 128gb device to take as many as I want and have time to go through and wipe at my leisure.

23. TheMacApple macrumors regular

Never know when someone might be there last day. Sure would nice to have live photo for the memories