What are teh odds teh MacBook will be included in the looming refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by altecXP, Jan 27, 2011.

1. altecXP macrumors 65816

I was about to click 'buy" on a MacBook (had already up dated my sig as you can see) then i saw about the stores running so low on MacBooks/MacBook Pros. I don't need a new laptops this moment buy I will very shortly. What are the odds that the update will include an update for the MacBook?

Even if they ONLY give it 1440x900 resolution I'd gladly get one. The 2.4GHz C2D is fast enough for me. I just don't want to buy one and have a new one the same price 1-3 weeks later.

2. PM Smith macrumors newbie

County Armagh and Belfast, Northern Ireland
    I'm in exactly the same position. The existing Macbook is powerful enough for me on the road, but I'd like a slightly higher resolution screen such as the 1440 x 900 one in the 13in Macbook Air. I hope the updates are out soon, both my wife and I need to buy Macbooks for our work within the next month or so.

3. altecXP thread starter macrumors 65816

*crosses fingers* I hope it's refreshed this week. So many stores are VERY low on Mac laptops right now.

4. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

There are Macbooks at the Referb Store for $150 off. Worth a look.

5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

doubt it.

Such a big refresh will involve a conference and there hasn't been one scheduled anytime soon.

6. altecXP thread starter macrumors 65816

The problem here is that stock indicates that most stores will run out this week or even this weekend. That would put a dent in Apples sales for Q1, they cant go for weeks with out any stock at their partner stores.

My Microcenter has:
    15in 2.4: 3
    MB: 3
    13in 2.4 open box: 20+
    13in 2.66: 1
    13in 2.4: 0
    17in: 0

7. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

If you're waiting to buy a MacBook (Especially for a low price), keep waiting.
    Last refresh, I bought my parents a refurb 2.26GHz 250GB, 2GB for $759.

Also, my bet for refresh is sometime next month. 2 Refreshes ago, it was in Jun '09. Then, April '10. I'm guessing for like the 8th, 15th, or 22nd of February.
    As was said diminishing stock will really hurt Apple.

8. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Apple doesn't really have to schedule conferences that far in advance, AND Mr. Jobs is taking a leave of absence right now. It's certainly possible that the engineers may want to just quietly refresh the models (that's what everyone else does, you don't hear Acer putting on a big press event to announce the next generation of Extensa laptops). Otherwise, it could be a small scale press conference. Verizon announced their event for the iPhone 4 only a week in advance. I wouldn't lose hope on it being soon.

I would like to see a resolution bump. My 14" laptop now is about 3 years old and has a 1366x768 resolution (roughly equivalent to the macbooks 1280x800), so when I upgrade, I dunno, feels like it should be higher :p

Discrete graphics on the MacBook would be sweet too. Oh and maybe a rear-facing camera, since apparently that's why the iPad sucks, doesn't the MacBook suck too because it can't be used as a digital still camera? (Had to do it, sorry)

9. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

im still using a 2009 aluminum mac 2.0 ghz laptop and its doing me good. also have an ipad. if they refresh only reason i may grab one is if there is a resolution bump. then it might be worth it. not sure id buy just for sandy.

10. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

would they dare do this all at once to us
    iphone 4 verizon
    ipad 2
    macbook updates

11. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Knowing Apple, yes yes they would. Remember the conferences where everything got updated (1 point they had new PowerMacs, new PowerBooks (G4s), new iMacs all incredibly fast), and they used to update the whole iPod range at once

12. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Well I hope the new/refreshed 2011 MacBooks don't have that awful rubberized bottom. :eek:

13. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

If they either discontinue the 13" MacBook Pro or merge it with the white MacBook to come up with who knows what, then I'd say it's very likely that it'll all happen at the same time. Otherwise, I'd say it's very unlikely that it'll all happen at the same time, if that makes sense.

14. el-John-o macrumors 65816

On the "Will Apple do it all at once" comment.

ABSOLUTELY, right now they will. Their CEO has been called the most essential-CEO in history, meaning the company cannot survive without him. You can agree or disagree with that fact, but the shareholders are pretty convinced. Their stock value only dropped a little before recovering (last time I looked), but they are on a thin rope with investors. They are waiting to pull the trigger if spooked, releasing all of these products all in the same quarter or two, will produce tremendous quarterly reports and record high sales for Apple, which will help get the shareholders to trust Tim Cook, and to understand that Apple can survive with Steve only in the background.

So, yes, I forsee before third quarter 2011, iPad 2, iPhone 5, 10.7 (Lion), Macbook refresh, other relevant refreshes for products around or over 12 months (I don't know the current generations age of the iMac and Mac Pro, but those very well could be refreshed as well.) We may even see another big product announcement, like a touch-screen Air for Lion. (I'm making that up, PLEASE don't quote me, OR bash me and say it's not coming. I have NO idea what's coming, but I'm saying it could be something that shocking, after he returned from his last leave of absence we got an iPhone. Just sayin.)

When a guy like Steve Jobs steps down, he plans it. Analysts believe they were making plans for his leave of absence in the first week of December or earlier. He may not have told the employees or made it official, but he surely spoke with the board, and certainly Mr. Cook. When the Verizon iPhone event hit was when I first thought something was up. I know "it's not an Apple event", but they sent the number 2 guy, didn't they? If you don't think you need a major company presence, you send an engineer, or Johnny Ives or someone like that, you don't send chain-of-command number 2 unless you had originally intended to send the CEO. I'm sure he was taking every opportunity to rest, relax, finish up whatever loose ends he needed to, so he can take some time off.

-John

15. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

I could see the MBP's being updated and then a 2-3 week waiting period before the Macbook is updated. I've seen Apple do this to people who then decide the Macbook isn't worth the money and buy the more expensive MBP. Then half a month later Apple quietly updates the macbook.

Good way to squeeze a few extra sales out of the buying public.

16. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I wouldn't hold my breathe on Macbook's resolution upgrade. Apple left out backlit keyboard, SD card slot and etc on Macbook. Apple will try to differentiate between Macbook and Macbook pro. They will update MBP's resolution, but I doubt they will upgrade Macbook to 1440X 900.

17. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Why not? They are the same now, yet the 13" MBP outsells the 13" MacBook (doesn't it? I don't know that for a fact but I thought I read that somewhere.)

I could see them bumping the resolution on all the models. You act like Apple doesn't make any money on the MacBook, just because something costs more, doesn't necessarily mean the profit margin is higher. It's absolutely possible that Apple makes more per MacBook than they do MacBook Pro. Apple doesn't compete with itself, it wants to push out the best products it can on every line. They don't hold back, sell sell sell!

18. Camps23 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is a great post but like the many people posting I'm in the market for a MacBook right now. Almost pulled the trigger yesterday but was told about the possible update. Let me get this straight it will be updated for sure within the next 2-3 months? More ram ? Better processor ? Possible resolution update ?

19. cootersgarage6, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

Do you think the macbooks are going to get cheaper?

I think the MacBooks are going to get cheaper....
    First, the iPhones have gone down in price since the first one, the iPod Classics have gone down like CRAZY...
    The macbook air... went down about $700 compared to the first model... The iPod touch also got cheaper, well, instead of $50 more for a 16GB, it's the same price for $32 GB instead.
    The Apple TV went down in price also...

I tihnk that Apple should lower there prices, and really need to, because all the other companies are starting to, and they would bring macs to a whole new market... or the people that are in the market for like $700 computers..
    Oh, and the Mac Mini went down in price a lot also

20. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

its 100% sure we will see new macbook+pros, at march's half the latest.

stop hoping for a price reduction, why would they give their money to you? They already make a lot like now, why would they stop it?
    The minimum price i see coming for a macbook is 900, and thats for the white or the 11 air, dont hope for less.

21. Synthion macrumors regular

What are teh odds you no longer use teh word teh?

22. Camps23 macrumors member