What are the advantages and disadvantages of militarizing space?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Mar 13, 2018.

1. darksithpro, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Trump has brought up the prospect of creating a Space Force branch. Some members of Congress are for it, while the Pentagon seems to be against it. If this where to happen, how would China and Russia respond? Do you think it would have on impact on civilian/corp satellites and private ventures such as Space-x?

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/presi...-policy-debate-creating-military-space-force/

"President Donald Trump today talked about creating a U.S. Space Force, breathing new life into a concept that’s been proposed by lawmakers but opposed by Pentagon leaders.

The subject of space policy came up during the president’s visit to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in California, while he was addressing a crowd of Marines. His comments had an off-the-cuff tone, and made it sound as if creating a military service focused on defending the space frontier was his idea:

“We are finally going to lead again — you see what’s happening, you see the rockets going up left and right, you haven’t seen that for a long time. Very soon we’re going to Mars. You wouldn’t have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn’t even be thinking about it.

“My new national strategy for space recognizes that space is a warfighting domain, just like the land, air and sea. We may even have a Space Force — develop another one, Space Force. We have the Air Force, we’ll have the Space Force. We have the Army, the Navy.”

“You know, I was saying it the other day, because we’re doing a tremendous amount of work in space, I said, ‘Maybe we need a new force, we’ll call it the Space Force.’ And I was not really serious. And then I said, ‘What a great idea, maybe we’ll have to do that.’ That could happen.”

2. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Disadvantages:

• More military spending when we already do waaaaaay too much
    • Potential to impede on communication satellites
    • Potential to put even more little bits of shrapnel in orbit which will create further hazards for space travel
    Advantages:

I can’t think of any really.

3. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

He really is like a cartoon super villain isn't he?

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Basically.

[​IMG]

5. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting article: http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3411/1

Does this imply that we shouldn’t form a US Space Force? To the contrary, a Space Force will become the sine qua non of interplanetary stability and commerce just as the US Navy is on Earth. However, just as the Army spawned Air Force, the Air Force similarly needs to birth a new Space Force. However, we can’t do it under the same constraints that exist and will likely continue to exist in the future within the DOD procurement and budgetary establishment. This is not to state that a Space Force will be ex parte to the present DOD; it will be a US military force under the same command structure as other military services. So how would it be different? And what should a US Space Force do?

The mission of a new US Space Force would be to:

• Guarantee the safe passage of space vehicles of all nations and industries of peaceful intent;
    • Ensure the safe prosecution of interplanetary commerce;
    • Enforce zones of influence upon request;
    • Provide global weather information, military communications and imagery support;
    • Provide for global defense against medium and long-range ballistic missiles;
    • Reduce or eliminate the threat of orbital debris;
    • Ensure that no weapons of mass destruction are stationed in space;
    • Provide deep space observation to detect extraterrestrial threats to Earth, such as impacting comets or asteroids;
    • Provide a means of countering the threats posed by potentially impacting asteroids or comets;
    • Develop highly-advanced propulsion, power, and communications technologies essential for a spacefaring civilization;
    • Obtain royalties for commercial use of technologies developed by the Space Force; and
    • Provide services for hire for transportation, inspection, protection, and communication.

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

My opinions italicized above. It’s basically spending money we don’t have to solve problems that don’t exist. But it’s appropriate I suppose given the fact that Trump isn’t even remotely a fiscal conservative.

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

The space around our planet is already filling up and we haven't even been going up there a hundred years yet. We currently have a potential issue with China's space station coming down in the coming weeks that pose a risk.

8. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

If we don’t, the Chinese or the Russians certainly will, putting our national security at risk. Just look at what happened in Hawaii in January and the panic it caused. The sad reality is that space is a potential battlefield just like the land, air and sea are today and our adversaries know it. We can’t cede that area to them.

9. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

My thoughts exactly. Better us than them.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So we police the world, which is what this entire populist movement is totally against??

BL.

11. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not police the world, but prevent China and Russia from weaponizing space to target the US and it's allies.

12. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I guess I’m struggling to understand how this would work as a preventative measure.

We put weapon systems in space, are we going to attack China or Russia is they try to do the same?

13. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

We put DEFENSIVE weapon systems in space to counter Chinese and Russian offensive weapon systems. That way our systems can take out their systems, which most likely would be nuclear.

14. Tech198 macrumors G5

Makes sense. Pretty much anything now-days we put the "blame" on these two countries, without any proof.

If we never give them a chance, how do we know?

15. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Perhaps I misunderstood you. The list you posted earlier indicated to me that the idea was to put all kinds of weapons systems not just into orbit, but interplanetary space also, which seemed like a colossal waste at this time.

If it’s just something like anti-ballistic missile defenses in orbit or something like that, I suppose this is fine, but, again, I don’t really see that as a necessity today and this seems to be something that could be done by Air Force Space Command.

16. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

China state run media has said they're investing a lot of time and money on hypersonic missiles and are making big technological leaps. God forbid they develop a space based platform with nuclear tipped missiles, aimed at the US and other western friendly countries.

17. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

The only difference between DEFENSIVE and OFFENSIVE is which side of the playing field you are on. No thanks. All this idea is good for is ramping up a a new cold war.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet you aren't seeing it from their perspective where they see US as putting offensive weapons systems in space to take out their defensive weapons systems, sparking yet another arms race.

Again, are we going to police the world? Because yet again, that goes against your side's so-called populist movement.

BL.

19. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

It doesn't matter what they think, or feel at this point. If we have the technological and a strategical advantage, we should act appropriately and implement it right now! Who cares about political correctness. It's about safe guarding US national interests and it's allies.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet you don't allow those same countries the same quarter to guard their interests and their allies. Again, are we to be policing the world? Because that completely goes against your side's so-called Populist movement.

BL.

21. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Again, it's not about policing the world, rather it's about gaining a strategic militarily advantage . It's a deterrent, a safe guard to protect the United States and it's allies interests.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And like I said, you don't believe that those other interests aren't looking out for themselves and safeguarding themselves from The United States?

It is this "us versus them" mentality that got us the Arms Race, the Cold War, and brought us to the brink of World War III.

Again, whatever happened to that populists' credo of having them look after themselves? That was the whole entire basis behind Brexit, let alone the populist movement Trump and Bannon are spreading throughout the US as well as Europe. Now you've completely gone a 180 on that and now want to protect those that aren't looking out for themselves. So which is it: Are you being the big bad policeman again, or are you the populist with only making <insert country of choice here> great again?

You can't be both without sounding contradictory or hypocritical.

BL.

23. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

The world doesn't need another bully.

24. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trump never said he wouldn't defend his allies, especially NATO and article 5. Taking a step back and not involving yourself in every foreign affair doesn't mean, or equate that you want to isolate yourself from anyone, or every event, or weaken your foreign policy. It just means you want to take a smarter approach to the broad complexities of the international community. Americans are tired of invading rouge dictatorships and nation rebuilding at the cost of US tax payers in the trillions. We should be taking a lesser role internationally as a financier, less meddling in foreign affairs CIA wise, while building stronger coalitions and a smarter strategic Asia, middle east strategies.

25. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

Advantages: it changes media conversation away from you firing Tillerson.