What are the advantages if buying an iPhone instead of an iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ofiaich, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ofiaich macrumors member

ofiaich

Hi everyone! :p

If I have a good phone already, what are the advantages of buying an o2 pay and go iPhone instead of a 32gb iPod Touch? I know the memory is double.

I know the 16 gb iPhone is £399.99 at the O2 store and iPod Touch for around £269 - £289

Does the iPhone had other features, not counting text messaging, that the iPod Touch doesn't have?

And yes, I have been searching and reading a lot! :D

Thanks !

Ofiaich ;)

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Constant connection. iPod Touch only has connectivity on WIFI. You can always access the internet and email, and of course a phone.

3. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Then you would know the iPhone is a phone and the touch is an iPhone minus the phone...

4. Chicagomac08 macrumors member

If I am not mistaken, all apps work on the iphone but some will not work for the touch (shazaam)

I also know that Nike + only works on the touch.

5. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I think the O2 iPhone PAYG has 'free' wifi at 'the cloud' hotspots if you use the O2 sim.

6. ofiaich thread starter macrumors member

ofiaich

thanks for the helpful comments!

@dubhe, not sure if any 'The cloud' hotpsots are in the city near to me, because BT is not the telephone provider and that company seems to stifle the competition. But my mobile can act as a WiFi hotspot, so no worries there :D

@Chicagomac08, thanks that's really helpful ! I will check carefully to make sure the apps I need are compatible.

@andyblila, thanks. Yes, would not need to launch the WiFi hotspot software on my other phone which takes a bit of time!

Ofiaich :)

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The only advantages that an iPod Touch has over an iPhone:

No phone costs
    More storage for the dollar
    32GB iPod Touch available (iPhone only up to 16GB)

That's about the only advantages of an iPod Touch. However, the top one is a biggie. $70/month is a lot for some people. But with that $70, you get GPS and 3G, so you can connect to the Internet from infinitely more places than just WiFi hot spots.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It depends what you are looking for really:

The iPhone is (obviously!) a phone that will allow you to make calls, send SMS, etc.
    Also, as pointed out above, it has an "always on" connection to the internet, allowing you to browse anywhere, use push email effectively (and anything else that requires a network connection) almost anywhere in the country.

It also has GPS although the usefulness of that is not massive for many people as there is no turn-by-turn navigation software available yet, and a (pretty weak) camera

On the flip side, the iPod touch is available in bigger capacities, has a longer lasting battery (because it's not functioning as a phone), is thinner, lighter and supports Nike+

If you're primarily looking for iPod type features, I'd personally say go for the 32GB iPod touch. However, if you're looking for a general purpose device that can be the only device you need to carry around, then go for the iPhone.

9. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Don't forget that the iPhone also has a camera while the iPod touch doesn't

10. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Every O2 iPhone has that. :D

11. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Not completely true. The iPhone also has SMS capability, granted that is a phone function, but also has a camera. The constant connectivity has to be played up though. Access to the internet at any time, no matter what speed, is a big factor. Also having "push" email has to be played up. You have to be at or near a WIFI Hotspot to access any of these on the Touch.:eek:

12. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Agreed.
    I originally bought a first gen iPod touch, to see "what the fuss was about", as the contract on my previous phone had a few months still to run. Suffice to say, as soon as the contract was up, I sold my touch and got the iPhone, because once I sampled the browsing capabilities of the touch, I longed to have a data connection everywhere.

13. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Exactly, same thing happened to me. My daughter now owns my iPod Touch! LOL!! :D

14. ofiaich thread starter macrumors member

ofiaich

Thanks for your replies,

Very helpful !

My main need is for email in Japanese and Chinese. I know the iPod Touch's and iPhones language abilities are great! I also know that I can install dictionary apps, but can't cut and paste a word that I need to look up into the dictionary.

I can do that with WM6.1 and am using a HTC Touch HD at the moment but Japanese on a WM device is not so good. CE-Star is just OK but when I enter a ! mark, it is inserted at the beginning of the line.

Other Japanese input methods cause buttons to be disabled, and necessitate registry edits. Windows Live and Messenger often stop working too.

Thanks again ! I think a pay and go UK O2 iPhone will be good for me !

Ofiaich :D

15. daisuke07 macrumors regular

16. firewood macrumors 604

I think the OP already has a cell phone, and is asking the differences between keeping his current phone plus getting an iPod Touch, and getting an iPhone.

If the OP has a camera phone, he can make calls, do SMS and probably take photos with it plus an iPod Touch.

The main differences are:
    One bigger thing to carry instead of two things, one of which is thinner.
    16GB less media memory.
    Data networking when away from wifi access points.
    More accurate GSM location outdoors.
    Built-in microphone for VOIP and voice recording, etc.
    Earphone jack on top instead of the bottom.
    Contacts all on one device with easier syncing to dotMac.

Any others?

17. DMoney0023 macrumors member

you can be like me and get a 32 GB Touch and an 8 GB iPhone

18. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Is this thread a joke? One is a phone and one is an iPod. What are we debating?

19. ofiaich thread starter macrumors member

ofiaich

@theDUB,

I don't waste my time posting joke threads.

If you read the thread, you can see that there have been many helpful comments. I thank those people very much ;)

Thanks,

Ofiaich