WHAT ARE THE BEST GAMES TO DOWNLOAD ON MY NEW IMAC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jae Hokes, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Jae Hokes macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hey guys, just bought a new SandyBridge iMac about a month ago and im obsessed with it. Just curious to know what are the BEST MAC GAMES, UTILITY APPS (I dont mean the apps everyone swears by, i mean apps that are useful and dont here much about) and THE BEST APPS TO KEEP MY MACK RUNNING SMOOTHLY (MacKeeper?) - All information would be appreciated thank you

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

assassin's creed 2, portal 1 and 2. pretty much any blizzard game

3. mlynchmob16 macrumors regular

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

My favorite game is Photoshop :p

As to utilities, you really don't need them. They tend to do more harm than good, or at best are a waste of money.

5. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it's not. It's a trojan. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    The first section of that link deals specifically with the MacDefender/MacSecurity/MacProtector/MacGuard issue, which is not a virus. I encourage you to read it.
    You don't need MacKeeper or any other such apps to keep your Mac running well. Some of those "maintenance" or "cleaner" apps do more harm than good. Your Mac will run fine without them.

7. Ap0ks macrumors 6502

Get CapSee for obvious reasons ;)

Seriously though, other than the suggestions people have given, you'll need to provide more details about what it is that you're after. It's all well and good asking for the best of, but that is all down to personal opinions and preferences. That said most people swear by Onyx for system maintenance and Quicksilver/Alfred for app launching etc...

8. MACza macrumors member

Quicksilver is a fantastic app! I am new to Mac OS X and just LOVE Quicksilver. Makes your life much simplier, easier and quicker. Especially if you are not too keen on pushing a mouse around. Can also simplify your Dock a lot as you don't need all the icons on the doc for apps you use a lot.

Get it from qsapp.com then install additional plugins.

It DOES require a bit of a learning curve, but after that, things happen "at the speed of thought" :D

9. Jae Hokes thread starter macrumors regular

Speaking of Quicksilver, I have it but have no idea how to fully use it...i try to search the web off it i try to type in like modern warfare 3 and like other apps i have on my mac come up i tried lookin for tutorials on youtube but theres nothin really explaining it all, anyone have any suggestions?

10. Jae Hokes thread starter macrumors regular

Can i get istat pro in my menu bar so i could keep track

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iStat Pro is a widget, which appears in your Dashboard. iStat Menus can appear on your Menu Bar.

12. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

If you want games on your computer, and you've got a well-fast enough internet connection, you can check out Onlive. onlive.com Streaming gaming without having to install multiple games on your computer and take up hard drive space.

It doesn't work as well as could be for some people if they don't have the greatest or most consistent internet connection. It works well for me though, so I can say that if it works for you, I recommend it!

(I'm also not that big of a gamer, so the occasional free half-hour demo has been good enough for me.)

13. dj-anon macrumors member

dj-anon

14. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Get Alfred. It's much better and easy to use.

15. afj.lambert macrumors newbie

I use atMonitor to optimize my iMac, really like it.

16. Jae Hokes thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys everyone on this thread has been extremely helpful thank you guys im new to mac so i want to know all the secrets and the most useful things to do on a mac you guys hooked me up! Last question is what is the best and CHEAPEST external hard drive to back my iMac up with? What are the best brands where can i find them?

17. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Pretty much any external HDD will work. I use CleanMyMac to keep it, well, clean and running good. Also, please don't use all CAPS in the title :(

18. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Are 90% of your posts about Macs not having viruses?! We all knew what he meant!

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might know, but that's not true for everyone who visits this forum or reads this thread. If my post causes you such pain, don't read it.

20. Jae Hokes thread starter macrumors regular

Someone please teach me how to use Quicksilver to its full potential!

21. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Actually, MacKeeper is a legit piece of software. There's a legit MacDefender site as well. The bogus piece of software or, as more specifically noted by GGJstudios, a trojan, which calles itself MacDefender, MacKeeper, Macguard, etc.. does exist, but it only surfaces via a webpage redirect; it has no dedicated website.

To the OP.
    My favorite games for Mac are:
    Age of Empires III (one of my absolute favorite franchises, ever!)
    Asphalt 6: Adrenaline [$6.99 on Mac App Store] (Excellent racing game)
    Machinarium [$9.99 on Mac App Store] (Very beautiful and challenging puzzle game)
    Pinball HD [$2.99 on Mac App Store] (Very fun pinball game with excellent graphics)
    Galcon Fusion [$1.99 on Mac App Store] (A somewhat simplistic, but very cool looking and very addictive action-strategy game)
    Other notables are: Bioshock, Assasin's Creed II, Call Of Duty 4, FlatOut 2, etc..

Have fun with your new Mac; don't just let it sit, collecting dust ;)

22. Jae Hokes thread starter macrumors regular

Age of empire is probably the kind of game id like to get into, what is it like a command and conquer but back in midevil times? Also do i need to play all of them to know whats going on? Because i see you mentiond the 3rd one

23. KirkL macrumors 6502

Nope :D

Each version (I, II, III) deals with a different time period and a different geographic location.

24. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

That's a good way to put it. The "medieval" style is what has drawn me to like Age Of Empires franchise over franchises like Civilization and Command And Conquer.

No. AoE I, II and III are pretty much standalone to each other. There's no story to follow and the premise is the same in all three games. The reason I mentioned the AoE III is because it's the latest, with more sophisticated AI, deeper strategy levels, etc.. AoE II is actually my favorite of the franchise and one of my absolute favorite games overall. I'm not sure you can get for the Mac though. I still own a PC copy which I tried to port to Mac using Cider, but it ended up having too many crashes, so I gave up :(