What are the best places to travel in europe this summer 2009?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ngay1203, Jul 5, 2009.

1. ngay1203 macrumors newbie

Starting the trip off in geneva, and looking to go to germany possible austria and maybe parts of eastern europe.. 4 of us are students so budget is tight, but also looking to have fun i.e if they're any good festivals or cheap gigs going on. We're only travelling for 10 days so we're looking to see the best of the best. Heat factor and train prices will also be a factor

Any reccommendations please post in yahoo?
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...fRk7gf8jzKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20090701115511AAYFcrn

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For value for money; Poland (but learn how to say "without ketchup").
    For scenery; Austria, Bavaria, Andorra.
    For fun; Italy, Spain.

3. ngay1203 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have exprience with these countries?

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It's already mid summer in Europe!

If you want to travel cheap, you need to plan ahead. You will not get the best deal on airfares, ground transport or hotels by booking this late.

Anyway, how about visiting the United Kingdom? Apparently this summer's weather there is going to be very good in comparison to other years so it might be the best time to visit.

Apart from that, I recommend Southern France and Monaco, as well as Prague in Czech Republic.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Drug tourism in Portugal?

My buddy just got back from Spain, Portugal, and Morocco, and he said it was gorgeous!

6. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

as you said, some of you are students, so travelling "across" europe might not be the cheapest alternative.

i'd suggest enjoying one country and just comeback and enjoy other countries next time.

you could get cheap train tickets though, if you are under 26.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why are you starting in Geneva? Geneva is boring. Head to Zermatt or somewhere else in the Swiss Oberland if you want a better travel experience. I'd avoid the major cities as much as possible right now, they'll be packed with throngs of tourists.

8. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

Of course Im going to be a little biased and say Greece. We have some of the best islands in the world, and we have some of the cleanest waters/beaches as well. Its not terribly expensive like more frequently traveled destinations, and there are lots of things to see/do here.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Seconded!

Yes sir! We have a house in Poland that we drive to every year (from England), we take different routes each year to see as much as possible. Used to have a place in Spain too but we sold up.