What are the Best Plays/Worst Plays you have ever seen?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Scepticalscribe, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The title says it all. Currently, there are threads on movies, (best movies), and, mirroring that, worst movies ever seen. However, I have found that the pleasure/high/ emotional response to a truly superb play, or production/performance truly transcends that of anything but the best of movies. Feel free to disagree. Likewise, poor drama really upsets me in a way that movies never manage.

I have been lucky to see a few of the "greats" in action, live, on stage. Two decades ago, I saw the late, great, Paul Schofield on stage in London, and recently, in Ireland, I was privileged to see James Cromwell in a wonderful production of A Long Day's Journey Into Night.

Great plays that I have seen have included "I Do Not Like Thee Mr Fell", and "Accidental Death of an Anarchist", both performed by Druid Lane Theatre. The Spanish company Els Comediants have done a brilliant "History of the World"; Footsbarn, a touring iconoclastic (and strongly international) but originally British - company have done some stunning interpretations of Shakespeare's classics, Hamlet, King Lear and MacBeth.

Anyway, cheers and I'd be interested in what people think were good plays, and why; or if any performances stood out as worth remembering.

Cheers

2. shecky Guest

shecky

Trinity Rep in Providence, RI did a production of All the King's Men that was unbelievably amazing - most interesting for those who know the story, they cast an african-american in the lead role of Willie Stark.

not really a play but Spamalot was fantastic, as was Blue Man Group.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I saw The Giver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giver) adapted for stage in elementary school. It was unbelievably craptastical.

I really enjoyed Damn Yankees at the local playhouse...I don't see a lot of big productions, but that's a standout in my memory.

4. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I really enjoyed Wicked. The music was fantastic, the acting was great, and it was all around just a great time. If it came back again, I would go see it again!

Steve

5. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Cats, horrid.

Phantom of the Opera was awesome, and so was The Lion King, even if just for the costumes.