What are the Biggest Public Events in UK and world?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by LERsince1991, May 1, 2012.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

So I'm doing a project and a decent part of it is about linking together public events (can't really explain it any more otherwise everyone would be confused and off topic, link at bottom of post if you want more info).

I NEED YOUR HELP!

Question
    What are the biggest or most popular public events in UK and world?
    I need to make a list :)

For example; London Olympics, Milan/new york/paris Fashion week, London Design fair... etc...

In cities such as; London, Birmingham, Paris, Milan, New York, Monaco, Rome, Stockholm, Madrid, Copenhagen, Berlin, Amsterdam.

Can't really think of much to be honest! (doesn't have to be design related, just the things I know about since I'm an architecture student)

THANKS!
    Luke.

Link for more information on my architectural project; http://www.lukeriggall.co.uk/architecture/virtual-reality.html
    The link is very far from what the current project is like and will be updated on May 23rd when I am finished.

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Largest photo festival in at least N American and perhaps the world. Contact - In Toronto for all of May every year.

Calgary Stampede - largest outdoor event, or something like that.

Toronto Film Festival

Montreal Jazz Festival

Montreal Just for Laughs (Comedy)

Toronto Caribana

Toronto Gay Pride Parade

These events are all considered to be the biggest (or just about the biggest) on the continent or the globe. I've left the smaller, merely national, events off.

Good Luck.

3. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks!!!

Any more then? That way I can select the more suitable ones for my project :)

Put in very very simple terms I have designed an architectural project with spaces to experience events from a remote location. For example streaming video/ sound etc...

Thanks!

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No question, hands down, without a doubt, the most important event in the UK and the world is my birthday.

Not sure about remote viewing or the creation of architectural space...I'll leave that up to you!

:rolleyes: ;) :D

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The Hajj has a lot of blokes in white robes. ;)

Attached Files:

6. LERsince1991, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks that hajj thing looks interesting and on the ball.
    Heres some others;

Local (project is based in Lincoln, UK); Lincoln xmas market, etc... (in contact with local events manager for more)

National (UK); Olympics, Royal Wedding, Grand National, Queens Jubilee, London Riots.

International (urban cities more); Elections, Montreal Jazz Festival, Rio Carnival, Chinese Event?

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

8. 184550 Guest

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I get the impression he's looking for reoccurring events.

Yes, the Superbowl would work, but not the others, IMO.

10. 184550 Guest

Yeah, I saw that he mentioned the London Riots in one of his posts so that got me thinking of similar one-off events. Though I suppose you could make the argument that riots in London are recurring. :p

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just in case we forget....:D

12. LynnW macrumors member

13. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks everyone by the way,

I need your last bit of help!
    If anyone has ever been to rio carnival that would be great!
    I need to know some key words to describe how you felt at that event for example, did you feel squashed in a large crowd, were you experiencing exotic smells you didn't know about, were your ears ringing from loud music, did you feel a suns heat blazing your skin etc...

THANKS!

14. mtreys macrumors member

^^^^ This. And Champions League.

15. Cox Orange, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Not wanting to destroy your project, but wouldn't that get you into copyright infringement. I mean, wouldn't you have to get the permission to show some events, that are filmed by some TV channels who have to pay a big amount of money to be the only one in their country to have the right to show the event?

Big events...
    munich octoberfest ("Münchner Oktoberfest" = Munchner with two dots over the "u"), is recurring and actually well known in the world (main visitors Americans, British and Japanese... but for me it mainly serves a cliche about Germany. So, if it is something that one should know for the overall knowledge it would fit, if it should be something worth visiting to get to know a place maybe not.
    Carneval in Collogne and Mainz ("Köllner Karneval" / "Mainzer Fassenacht"): like mardi gras, but cars/wagons show political caricatures/satire figures, along just for fun meaningless historical costumes.

Love Parade (but now stopped in Berlin and the "Ruhrgebiet" in Germany after an accident in 2010)

Gay Pride (Cristopher Street Day in Germany)

What of "Isle of Wight Festival" and these sort of things?

16. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

Big?

I suppose if you want big, you could usually guarantee a million plus people at a Jean Michel Jarre gig!!

17. Kimbie macrumors regular

Kimbie

Dreamhack in Sweden believe its the worlds largest LAN party

18. mufflon macrumors 6502

(sweden)
    The Lund's student's carnival is a rather large event that has been reoccurring every 4 years since the mid 19th century (some say 1849 or so). A couple of hundred thousand visitors and approximately 5000 students working non profit, some for more than a year.

Some have said it's the second largest reoccurring non-profit event in the world - so kind of big :)

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Le Tour de France has been kind of big and well attended, though spread out a lot. And with recent events, it might be on the decline.

20. 8.33 macrumors newbie

Notting Hill Carnival

Fetes de Bayonne

Pamplona bull running

Oktoberfest

Rio carnival

- From memory these are the 5 biggest street parties in the world. Pamplona and Bayonne both do the red and white costumes and bull/cow running. Pretty incredible sight.

21. Queso macrumors G4

22. eric/ Guest

eric/

Mardi Gras in New Orleans

New Years in NYC

Comic Con (venue changes yearly or whatever)

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

E3 in LA.
    Gamescon (somewhere) in Germany. Always forget where.
    Tokyo Game Show in... Tokyo.

24. ArthurWellsley macrumors member

Notting Hill Carnival = usually about 3 million people around Notting Hill, London. Carnival in Rio is bigger, but Notting Hill is the largest European Carnival.

Chinese New Year - usually about 1 million people around China Town in London. Said to be the largest Chinese New Year celebration outside China, although San Francisco may have a claim.

New Year - usually over a million people in or near Trafalgar Square in London.

England football at home = Wembley Stadium = 85,000- global TV audience would be larger.

England Rugby at home = Twickenham = 85,0000

The Football World cup is said to have a global audience close to 2 billion

European Cup is smaller maybe 400 million, same as African Cup of Nations.

Four yearly Rugby World cup is smaller when hosted by a Southern Hemisphere nation, but larger when held in the North, because if France or England host the TV audiences world wide will be larger due to time differences, say 500 million.

Formula 1 Grand Prix racing is the second largest world sport after football, with world wide audiences over 1 billion

American football Superbowl final has a large USA audience, but a relatively small following outside the USA.

The Reading music festival has 87,000 odd capacity each day for three days, whilst the Hackney (in London) weekend is 50,000 capacity each day over three days.

Indian Premier League Cricket (IPL) has a television audience over 1 billion, and so despite the fact that it has only been going a few years has already over taken American football for a sport with a large following.

25. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Edinburgh Fringe
    Bristol Balloon Fiesta (largest hot air balloon thing in europe?)
    London Marathon?