What are the chances Apple will release a bigger screen for the iPhone 6.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krissypantz2828, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

I am wondering because I have only been an apple fan for about 1 1/2 years and don't know their trends. I also want to know because if they release a device with a bigger screen I will just buy the iPhone 5S in a couple of months and keep that phone for a long while. I will be done pretty much, and use the phone for as long as I can humanely possible.

If not then I will wait for the 6. Either way it's hard to tell what they are going to do. But demand is high for larger screens so Apple might budge.

What do you guys think?

2. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

3. mactumors macrumors 6502

I think they definitely will. In previous years, I see why it didn't make sense. I think next year is the year. The last 2 years they transitioned the screen size to 16x9. If they wanted to make it larger, next year would be a fine time to do it. Also, they've split the iPhone line into 2 lines, called 5s and 5c for now. Screen size would be a good way to differentiate these 2 lines going forward.

4. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Eek! :eek:

Personally I'm hoping for 4.3" - 4.5" MAX.

Don't want them to go too large.

5. playaproved macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat, 4.5 max. Although the Moto X feels pretty damn good in the hand at 4.7".

I think the screen size will end up being whatever will allow the OS to scale accordingly.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Likely. I think they will go with a half inch increase to 4.5 inches with a 720P display

7. Doc Evils macrumors regular

Very high.

Apple needs something drastic to show it can be on top of its game.

8. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Went from an iPhone 5 to S4 and the size difference is startling!!

Been using the S4 for about 6 weeks now and picking up my 5th gen iPod touch is startling!!!

It's ridiculous how quickly one adapts to the larger screen.

I've never been a fan of anything over 4" but that has changed.

As much as I am enjoying the S4 I long for the reliability, stability and silky smoothness of iOS but I won't go back at the expense of screen real estate or jalibreak so with that in mind I'm hoping for both in the not too distant future...

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

A bit wider and I would be happy. I even think if the screen ran to the edge, then it would be perfect.

10. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I'd say it's ridiculous how quickly people can adapt either way (from larger to smaller or smaller to larger), all it really comes down to in the end is ones own personal preferences.

11. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I hear you, but I think Apple will go for the, "happy medium" of the 4.7/4.8" as some of the phablet guys on here have been talking up to 6"

That's just crazy talk :eek:

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

There are some chances, but there is also the strong possibility Apple will keep the 4 inches screen for another iteration. Analysts have been suggesting a larger screen for ages, so don't base anything on them.
    We have no concrete evidence as of now, but in a few months leaks will surface.

13. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

The "C" model will stay at 4 inches, the new flagship will increase to 4.3 inches, and at an extreme but not totally impossible stretch, we'll get a third model with a 4.7 inch screen.

14. Evnor macrumors newbie

I believe there will be two screen sizes to cater customers needs.

I think 5C has shown us what will be the future of 4" iPhone; C-series will be targeted to people who prefer more compact phone and one hand use experience. I see that in near future most of the people prefer bigger screens (4.5"-5.7") because of (subjectively) better content experience.

That´s why Apple will most probably introduce iPhone with bigger screen. However I do not believe in 4.5" screen. Why? It is too close to 4" iPhone adding next to nothing value for customer (not big enough screen but not too easy to use one handed). What I believe is Apple will release (premium) iPhone with screen size of 5"-5.5". This phone will probably be something more than just the bigger screen (think about Galaxy S4 vs. Note3 with Pen) which will make it arguably different kind of user experience from 4" iPhone.

15. ARSC macrumors 6502

16. AceMason macrumors regular

I feel like it'll be .5 inch increase to 4.5. They went from 3.5 to 4 inches previously and it seems like Apple doesn't usually implement drastic changes.

17. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

100% they will. Its a sign of the times and they need too.

Guessing 4.5 to 4.8 - Id love 4.8 myself with a much bigger battery.

18. skidbubble macrumors 6502

It wasn't long ago when most folks here were dead set against anything bigger than an iPhone 4. Comments such as "it's too big" or "it wont fit in my pocket" or "my thumb wont reach all 4 corners" were the norm. Now everyone seems to have done a 180. I wonder what changed?

19. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

20. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

21. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I hope they keep the same form factor, but make the size of the screen bigger. There's far too much blank space on the current iPhone model. The bezels have got to go.

Also, 4.5 I think would be a fair size adjustment, but truthfully, I really love the size of the 5s now. It is a perfect fit in your hand and looks like a "phone".

22. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I'm so.. startled..

23. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Yeah.... Bigger screen is very drastic :rolleyes:

------

Anyways there is a 50/50 chance ATM. No leaks that can tell you if they are making the screen bigger officially and not just testing sizes.

24. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Very high chance, but you'll only really know for sure once parts get leaked - so maybe next summer we'll get a clearer idea.

They need to do it, though. 4.7-5" would be great.

And keep the options for the people who want a 4" screen.

25. robertopod1968 macrumors member

I think they would be smart to release an iPhone 6 with a bigger screen in the next 6 months after the hype dies down a little . Have the 5s for people that want the good spec but not the size, drop the price of the 5S $100 and the 5c $200 and they cover the whole range people would want and keep more people interested.