What are the chances for a better battery on the next iPhone 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rMBP15, Mar 11, 2013.

1. rMBP15 macrumors member

rMBP15

I was hoping for an improvement in the battery front from 1440 mAh to like 1800 or 2100 mAh... how realistic is it?

2. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I think we will get better battery, better camera, cpu/gpu jump, and maybe a better screen (higher ppi)

4. Skika macrumors 68030

Nope

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

either way, this will probably be one of the few iphone updates that I skip since the cpu/gpu upgrades will not be noticeable in real world usage, and the battery easily gets me through a day. I don't take enough photos to merit an upgrade in that regards.

6. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

How about if they also add a fingerprint scanner, wireless charging (bottom-back glass plate), and a hardwired FindMyiPhone (independent of other settings)?

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Honestly, wireless charging alone would make me upgrade. Having a nexus with it, it is very convenient. Finger print scanner.....I don't lose my phones and no one but me uses it, so that is useless for me personally...same with find my phone.

8. rMBP15 thread starter macrumors member

rMBP15

So.... the iPhone 5S will have....
    - fingerprint scanner lock-screen
    - 13MP camera
    - 1600 mAh battery
    - A7 SoC processor
    - NFC

9. Auxo macrumors 6502

Very slim. I think we will see the real hardware change in the 6.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

A6X if history is any indication.

I suppose it could have a bigger battery but I doubt it will as the form factor will very likely be the same. My iPhone 5 gets fantastic battery life as long as I'm not using Push email. Definitely gets me through the day. Who doesn't charge it while they're sleeping? ... other than those who don't have access to power all the time and end up buying a battery case knowing that when they buy the device (people on location shooting films, etc. A very small percentage of people).

11. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

The issue is people claim the iPhone has the best battery life of any smartphone and in fact it doesn't. You need to keep it plugged in when you can, carry a battery charger, use a charger case or suck it up. Apple's unwillingness to offer a user swappable battery is an issue for many, and for those who say it isn't well they must not use their phone much.

12. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

It's a little bit better than Android, but it's more b/c iOS restricts apps that run in the background, as well as having a smaller screen (albeit smaller battery, so not sure which is the dominant factor here). Part of what makes the situation more tolerable is the fast charging (again , maybe it's b/c it has a smaller battery).
    It also tends to hold its charge on standby better, but absolutely, if you just use the phone for 5 hours straight, it's going to go down similar to an android phone. Some android phones are WAY worse than the iphone, but the best Android phones do compare to the iphone in terms of battery life.

13. awegew macrumors newbie

"the battery easily gets me through a day"

Doing what? There's no way that my phone gets me through a workday with calls, bluetooth, a bit of browsing, etc. Keeping it charged is a constant issue, especially given that Apple are too lazy to code a Blackberry-like standby mode at night.

They should have kept the 5 at the same thickness and just put more battery in the thing.

As for battery life in general, it's sort of stupid that the industry doesn't have any sort of standard benchmark. The carriers list calling time, playback, etc. Give me talk time when the phone is being used with bluetooth and as a wifi hotspot. Much better benchmark.

Versus what? Based on what? The battery life isn't long enough for me but I'm not sure that other devices are better. A user replaceable battery is a big sacrifice in design. Not that it isn't handle, but that sleek iPhone would look like garbage with a user replaceable battery.

14. maxosx macrumors 68020

Most likely it will return a full twelve minutes extra :)

Jokes aside, I only trust Mophie to eliminate Apples ongoing battery deficiencies. It's not the battery, it the fact that iPhone 5S will likely be 5 or 6mm thin. :eek: