Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elcoyotelocoatx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Without getting into the pro/con argument (already covered ad nauseam in other threads) regarding Magic Mouse / TrackPad support, what is your prediction as to whether or not Apple will decide to provide it with the next iPad?

elcoyotelocoatx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Again, not interested in getting into a discussion as to whether or not they should or shouldn't. I'm asking if you think they will or won't.

@Intell: Thanks for actually answering the question.

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't think an iPad will ever support a mouse. Although to the neigh sayers, the need for a mouse is the same as the need for and external keyboard, I can see how many would find it useful.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

They definitely won't. As steve jobs said ioswasdesigned for the precision of a finger, osx was designed with the precision of a cursor. You need a pointer to move a cursor but if you drop the cursor you can use something more intuitive like your finger. Going to a mouse on an ios device wouldn't make sense as it was designed specifically to be used without one

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Again, not interested in getting into a discussion as to whether or not they should or shouldn't. I'm asking if you think they will or won't.

0.01% chance. If the iPad ever does support a mouse or trackpad it will be tied to a software release not hardware.

elcoyotelocoatx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
0.01% chance. If the iPad ever does support a mouse or trackpad it will be tied to a software release not hardware.

Could you elaborate, please? Are you talking about an iOS, firmware, etc. update from Apple, or are you saying it's feasible that a third-party app could be released that includes mouse support that's acceptable to Apple (ie not a hack like jailbreak)?

Also, thanks for the responses. :)

Richard A

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
Could you elaborate, please? Are you talking about an iOS, firmware, etc. update from Apple, or are you saying it's feasible that a third-party app could be released that includes mouse support that's acceptable to Apple (ie not a hack like jailbreak)?

That would all depend on Apple wanting to have mouse support for the iPad. Either with Apple releasing an update to support a mouse or allowing a third party the rights to have an app that allows a mouse. So only Apple knows, everyone else would just be guessing. :)

Either way I hope not, it's a touch device.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Without getting into the pro/con argument (already covered ad nauseam in other threads) regarding Magic Mouse / TrackPad support, what is your prediction as to whether or not Apple will decide to provide it with the next iPad?

Chances=0

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
No.

Kinda defeats the purpose of a touch screen doesn't it? Besides doing so would result in the entire system having to be redone to support a cursor and then we wouldn't be able to use it as a touch device anymore :(

The best thing about the ipad is that you don't need any peripherals, so it is easy and convenient to cart around.

Speedyparker87

Cancelled
Apr 4, 2010
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Mouse - 0%
Trackpad - 1%

There will never be a mouse cursor on the iPad's screen. I would have to try a trackpad with the iPad in order to say if it could be done. I think it could be implemented on a limited basis for certain apps.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000

If you read other threads covering the same subject why start another thread where you already know the answer? Seems like a waste to me but to answer your question. NEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL

There is no pro or con, just no.

They won't, for reasons that are patently obvious to all but you.

You ARE persistent in your miscomprehension. The concept of a mouse/screen pointer is as anathemetic to iOS as entering line commands in a GUI-based computer.

So, how many may pages can you stoke out of this thread?

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Mouse support would be nice for VNC apps, where you're interfacing with OS X/Windoze.

Would also be handy for text selection/manipulation - the finger interface is just too clunky, especially if you're spending a lot of time editing a document.

Chances of it happening? In iOS - nil, in individual apps - maybe.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Well, I usually don't wade into these discussions but what's with all the negativity regarding mouse or trackpad support on this device? I use remote desktop apps (currently logmein) on my iPad all the time when I'm on the road to connect to my office PC. I can assure you some sort of bluetooth mouse support would be an extremely welcome addition to my iPad for RDP or VNC support applications.

Apple has been astounded at the adoption rate of iPads for business users (much to the dismay of Microsoft) and are quite eager to support them so why not mouse support? They clearly have bluetooth support for keyboards and yet nobody seems to complain about that functionality being built into a "touch device". What difference would it make to add a little extra code to the firmware to support an external pointing device for those apps that could make use of it? The bluetooth support could simply "be there" same as the keyboard support and then leave it up to the user as to whether or not they want to make use of it.

Personally I think Apple would be crazy to not add this support to a device that is clearly being used for business apps in a lot of cases. Obviously it wouldn't be for everyone but leave it up to the user as to which input method they want to use. At a bare minimum at least make the O/S hooks available to the app developers so they can add the support specifically to their application.

It certainly in no way would detract from the basic functionality of the device by just being available to those who might need it. 90% of the time I use my iPad by itself and am perfectly happy swiping away with my finger tips and/or using the onscreen keyboard but for those odd times when I need to do remote work I would love to have mouse support along with my "already existing remote keyboard support". Just sayin'...

Cheers!

P.S. I could also see this being a huge benefit to support input devices for physically challenged individuals who like the portability and physical format of the iPad but may have issues working with the touch interface.

James

elcoyotelocoatx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Wow, so much fanboi in this thread, what with all the personal attacks, multiple !!!! and ALL CAPS in a discussion about an appliance. Seriously, I've seen teenage girls who have more emotional control than you lot.

Thank you for reminding me why I've never owned an Apple product in my life: I don't ever want to be associated with you clowns.

I suppose I'll have to "settle" for a PlayBook or a Slate. And you know what? Just like the rest of the 95% of computer users, I'll be perfectly happy not centering my life and personal identity around a consumer product.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The naysayers really haven't offered any sound reasoning for their position.

I'll say that there is indeed a possibility... not necessarily within the next year, but the claims of "never" are pretty shortsighted.

Apple supports physical keyboards on the iPad. The arguments expressed here against a physical mouse are equally applicable to a keyboard... and yet there is support for a keyboard. This is especially puzzling for a device that was marketed primarily as a media consumption device where most content would be accessed by touching an icon or link on the screen.

Apple has plans that reach far beyond what their products currently provide.

Apple produced a keyboard dock. I have one, it's great. But it isn't very conducive to using it in combination with touching the screen. I temporarily jailbroke my iPad to try the mouse driver. The combination of keyboard dock and mouse were fantastic!

iOS is still in maturing. iOS 4.2 will bring initial support for printing. Subsequent releases will only add more needed functionality. When those pieces are in place, I would not be surprised to see support for a mouse.

The iPad would then be in a position to deliver the decades long pursuit of a computing "appliance".

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
mouse: never because the apps are made for touch.

trackpad: not next release because many things with higher priority must be optimized. later it's a possibility if the ATV2 get a similar UI and apps. Then the iOS5 may get trackpad control across all iOS devices. I give it 25%.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I think it is a possibility. The Adam tablet is supposed to have a trackpad on the back of it and if it makes certain things more natural and easier to use, I can see other tablet companies adopting it.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
NOPE!

There's no pointing device integration in the iOS core, and most likely it never will.
There's still a possibility that bluetooth pointing device integration could be implemented at the application level, but not system wide.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
That is a pretty bad comparison, as both OSX and windows are gui yet each have a command line.

Facepalm. (How old are you? I remember mainframes and punch key cards.)
Yes, and entering pre-1984 era line commands by keyboard to perform tasks on a mouse driven GUI (Windows OR MacOS).

The mouse in iOS is the finger...to put an addition layer of device between the device and the screen is an anthema. A physical keyboard, it can be argues, can be more comfortable than the onscreen one.

And to the OP...it's not "fanboyism", it is understanding the philosophy behind the device. And even if Apple eventually supports a mouse, no one here has any more clue than you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.