What are the chances of a MacBook price drop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mbos430, Jan 15, 2008.

1. mbos430 macrumors newbie

Based on the announcement of the Air, what are the chances of a price drop relatively soon for the regular MacBooks? Would it have happened today if it were to happen, or would they do it in a few days or weeks?

(I'm finally trading in my 7 year-old eMac. I love the new iMacs but I need a laptop because I'll be traveling for a year on my med school rotations.)

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. sportsnut macrumors regular

3. mbos430 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for replying. can you think of any good reason to wait on buying a MacBook right now (standard cheapest model)?

4. gothamm macrumors 6502a

buy it man. the SR chipset is great. i personally have a white 2.2 ghz. this thing is blazing fast...much faster than the crapbook air.

5. mbos430 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips. I'm probably getting the base model. The only thing I use it for other than basic functions is some music recording. My current eMac is 800MHz with 256MB of ram, so it should be wicked fast in comparison. I'd go out and get it today but I think it would distract me too much from my midterms this week. I'll get it over the weekend since I have extra time thanks to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

6. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

i'm with you mbos - i wanted to see a price drop in the macbook too cause I'm looking into getting one. unfortunately, because of the way they price the macbook air, I doubt they will drop the price of the macbook. had they priced the air lower (like maybe $1500), then there is more of a chance to see the macbook price drop. oh well. i guess you (and I) have 2 options. wait a couple more months for apple to upgrade the macbook again and/or drop the price, or just buy the macbook now.

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Think the way I do APPLE NEVER DROPS COMPUTER PRICES! maybe iPods and software but not computers.

8. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Why can't they put in LED screens in the Macbook?!

It's like the ignored stepchild of the family...and it would probably cost them pennies to add in the backlit keyboard...

I was waititng for today's announcement with anticipation, but this glorified pancake will not do for me; the MBP would go to waste in my hands with all this power unused, and it bothers me that the Mccbook I like--the black one, is $1500 bucks and is missing features that come standard with the other models.

What is a man itching to convert to Apple to do?!