What are the chances of seeing a Fusion drive in a future rMBP?

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I love the idea of having the best of both worlds - the capacity of an HDD and the speed of an SSD. But I want a MBP, not an iMac, and I'm wondering whether people think there's any chance of Apple cramming a Fusion drive into one of their rMBP's, say, next year? Is it just too small to fit?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I love the idea of having the best of both worlds - the capacity of an HDD and the speed of an SSD. But I want a MBP, not an iMac, and I'm wondering whether people think there's any chance of Apple cramming a Fusion drive into one of their rMBP's, say, next year? Is it just too small to fit?
Zilch. There isn't any space for a platter based HDD as it currently stands.

Maybe in the cMBP if they keep those around.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Close to zero. There's barely enough space in there for another NAND storage module, let alone a full 2.5" HDD.

So, unless Apple decides to make rMBP thicker, or cut off a portion of precious battery just to accomodate that one feature, it ain't happening.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Well, I think is unanimous then.

People, don't immediately go ga-ga over anything new please. With the falling price of solid states and your devices on-line full time (u can have tons of storage on your file servers and cloud if u don't mind paying), a hybrid storage system is just a stop gap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.