What are the chances of the iPhone 5 having HSPA+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DDar, Aug 4, 2011.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

The reason I'm asking is because that's honestly the only reason I'm holding out for an iPhone 5 (currently on a BB 9700) and am getting more than impatient with these "Not gonna launch 'till October! Lol!" Rumors...

2. troop231 macrumors 603

It should have HSPA+ I hope. Also hoping for a September launch as well, which matches the ATT vacation blackout reports.

3. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

You mean HSPA+ rebranded as 4G?

Hope so, why wouldn't they at least have that?

4. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Because stupid people would buy it even if it didn't have it?

5. Tones2 macrumors 65816

6. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I'd say it's extremely likely that it will have HSPA+... This will make Verizon pissed as ATT will have the only "4G" iPhone.

7. shadrap macrumors 6502

This is exactly why they won't do it. Apple no longer owes AT&T anything. They will either have 4G for all or for none. Speculators have already said that the iPhone 5 could potentially draw 64% of Android users. If they piss Verizon off they would loose the ground they could possibly gain.

8. kre62 macrumors 68000

Seeing as the Gobi chip in the Verizon iPhone is already 14.4 HSPA+ compatible...as in today...as in this instant...and Apple is contracted to use Qualcomm for future cell chips Id say its a 100% chance the next iPhone will support HSPA+.

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You couldn't be more wrong.

Apple would ignore the rest of the GSM carriers around the world to not piss of Verizon??? You're nuts. :rolleyes:

The phone would be dubbed an instant turd if it didn't come with at least a 14.4Mbps HSPA+ compatible radio.

I would practically guarantee it will have at least a 21Mbps HSPA+ radio in it just to one-up some of the pseudo 4G Droids out there that only have 14.4Mbps radios.
    Many carriers around the world support 21Mbps or higher speeds over HSPA+.

Hell, even T-Mobile USA supports 42Mbps HSPA+ in many major cities.

And where did you pull that 64% number from?

I could guess where, but I would probably get tattled on for hurting someones feelings. ;)

10. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Just because the chip is in there doesn't mean Apple will activate it.

The iPhone could tether a long time ago and deliver updates OTA, but Apple didn't make use of those until recently.

11. shelbymayer macrumors regular

64% LMAO! You pulled that number out of your a** didn't you? If not please please post a link to whatever CRAZY story you got this number from!

12. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I'd say pretty slim - like others have mentioned, it's almost certain it won't have Verizon's 4G LTE, and pissing off thousands of customers will only force them closer to Android.

The only chance is if they somehow force AT&T to keep it quiet and not brand it as 4G. Everyone assumes AT&T has faster 3G anyway, so if it wasn't public that AT&T had an advanced network (can we even call it 4G?) people might not really figure it out.

13. kre62 macrumors 68000

The critical reasoning skills, or lack thereof, of some people on this forum continue to amaze me.

It'll be HSPA+. That is all.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correction. It will draw 63.8% of android users:D
    I'm pretty sure it will have HSPA+ 3G though.

15. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

16. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Regardless, it'll still be faster on AT&T then that piss-poor excuse for a network they call Verizon.

"Can you hear me now, dawg?" "Nah son, I'm on the intanet buying another phone so I can talk and look up when The Facts of Life is on Nick at Nite at the same time."

17. shadrap macrumors 6502

Here is the link: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390323,00.asp

PC Mag credible enough? or you can google it and see all the other sources that quoted it.

Better be careful with that throttled data and piss poor ping.

18. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

HSPA+ runs at the same speed as HSPA if not worst on the current iphone.....wouldn't make a diff in speeed

19. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Isn't HSPA+ supposed to be twice as fast as regular HSPA?

20. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

You are so wrong. How many GSM carriers around the world support HSPA+? More than Verizon with it's LTE. It's a 100% chance that the next iPhone will support HSPA+. The only thing is what HSPA+ will it support. 14.4, 21 or maybe 42

21. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Considering most of the world doesn't have it I would say it's very unlikely.

22. Geckotek, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Why would Verizon be pissed? I can seem them desiring to have a 4G phone, but with the limitations of the current LTE chipsets, I'm sure they will accept that the outcome is what fits the current market and will accept it.

Pissed is not a good word to describe the status of a business.

NVM, misread your post.

This post is so full of fail...where to start?

First, if you call your "dawg" while he's on the internet, the phone will ring and he will be able to take your call.

Secondly, Verizon's network reputation far exceeds that of AT&T who has been hammered for their network issues for the past few years. Verizon also has much better coverage outside of metropolitan areas. Yes, AT&T currently has the newer/faster 3G tech so they have that going for them. And yes Verizon has LTE but the iPhone won't take advantage of that for a while. But to call Verizon's network "piss-poor" is just poorly informed.

23. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

look at all these 4G HSPA+ phones that are out...the current iphone has HSPA and has better download and upload speeds....:rolleyes:

who said it did support HSPA+, are you illiterate?

read my post again.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Actually, very literate. Your statement isn't exactly well worded. Read my response again (which I edited before reading your rude reply).

25. kre62 macrumors 68000

Thats where youre wrong. You need to have a forward thinking mindset, not a right-this-instant mindset.

Yes HSPA+ speeds without enhanced backhaul are similar to HSPA speeds. The point is, ATT is adding enhanced backhoul to many cities right now, which will increase the speeds.

Also t-mobile has some blazing fast HSPA+ speeds this instant.

So a phone that is capable of accessing those speeds will be crucial so as to not be left behind. 2 years (contract length) is a lot of time for new developments.