What are the chances of the Mac Mini getting an update at the upcoming WWDC?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gary King, May 31, 2005.

  1. Gary King macrumors 6502

    Jun 14, 2004
    What are the chances of the Mac Mini getting an update at the upcoming WWDC? Should I wait for that to be over before I purchase my Mini?

    Could it be possible that the Mini gets a price drop, for instance, after the WWDC?

    Thanks! :)
  2. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jun 14, 2004
    Any other opinions? This is a really big purchase for me :)
  3. Willy S macrumors 6502

    May 8, 2005
    It is probably wise to wait a week for the Mini. However, if I had to bet, I would bet on no Mini upgrade until this fall in Paris.
  4. feakbeak macrumors 6502a


    Oct 16, 2003
    If this is a big purchase for you, what is the harm in waiting one week? I would wait.

    The Mac mini hasn't even been shipping for six months yet. I find an update to the mini unlikely at this point. Especially, considering WWDC has typically been geared towards software and pro hardware. Still the mini could get speed bumps or other minor changes in the next few months. I think it would be more likely to occur at or around the MW Paris event.

    Whatever you choose to do accept the reality of your choice and be done with it. If you buy now the Mac mini might get a nice update a few weeks later. If you choose to wait, you may wait a long time and then not even be that impressed with the eventual update. You may wait a while and then give in and an update comes out the next week. Life happens, just make the best decision based on your finances and computing needs/wants and don't worry it about afterwards. You can second guess yourself until the end of time - hindsight is always 20/20.
  5. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jun 14, 2004
    Very true :)

    Can someone suggest normally when an announcement regarding a Mac Mini update would take place, if there was one during the WWDC? I think during the MacWorld Expo of when the Mini was first released (was it a MacWorld Expo?) the Mini was announced during the keynote presentation (by Jobs - I saw the actual speech) right?
  6. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a


    Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    No chance;

    If they upped the Mac Mini, it just wouldn't fit into the current line-up.

    The only thing I can see being upgraded is the Graphics card, and then 1.42GHz accross the whole line, with a Superdrive offered on the high-end.

    So, I'm not quite so sure now why I said no chance...(thinks)
  7. sjpetry macrumors 65816


    Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    Agreed fully.
  8. tsk macrumors 6502a


    Jan 14, 2004
    If I was betting, I'd say no.

    But if you look at the entire product line, it seems to me that the products in biggest need of an update are the iBook and the Mini (in that order). It would be nice to see those two products with 64MB video cards for Tiger.

    I'd say it makes good sense to wait a week.
  9. kgarner macrumors 68000


    Jan 28, 2004
    Go ahead and wait a week, but the WWDC is typically used to unveil Pro level stuff, not the consumer line, so I think it would be unlikely at best. When you do purchase your mini, be sure to budget for at least 512 MB of RAM. There was a huge difference in mine once I dropped in my 1 GB stick.
  10. joecool85 macrumors 65816


    Mar 9, 2005
    I think there is a decent chance of upgrade a wwdc. Personally I think that within the next 6 months the mini will see 1.6ghz or so. Oh yeah, and a 64mb vid card (should have started with that anyway :rolleyes: )
  11. berol macrumors member

    Apr 27, 2005
    A couple weeks ago, a rumors site said they'll be updated in July.
    [EDIT: the next post reminded me the rumor also said it wouldn't be introed at Macworld Expo, but a date near then.]
  12. nagromme macrumors G5


    May 2, 2002
    Small. And if it DOES get updated, it might not be a big splash or even mentioned at the keynote, it could just show up Tue, Wed, or the week after.

    I think summer is more likely.

    I'd say wait until the end of next week, or the following Tuesday (often the day of the week when Apple releases stuff), just to see, though.
  13. link92 macrumors 6502

    Aug 15, 2004
    I'm more tempted to say Apple Expo for the Mini...

Share This Page