What are the conditions required for Photoshop CS6 and LR5 to work on a cloned HD?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by StressedSnowCat, Dec 7, 2013.

1. StressedSnowCat macrumors member

If I clone my Mac Mini's Hard Drive, what do I need to do so that Photoshop and Lightroom work on it in case of a Hard Drive Failure? Give the clone the same name as the original Hard Drive? Or will having to drives called "Macintosh HD" cause a conflict? I'm trying to set up a contingency plan in case my Mac HDD dies so that I have no downtime at all and don't need to connect to the internet to re-enter my serial number. Ideally in case of a failure I want to just have to connect the clone and boot from that and work right away.

Can this be done?

PS: I have Carbon Copy Cloner.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't know specifically how Adobe handles this, but I do know many apps that require a serial number tie the registration to the hardware UUID. So if the hardware UUID changes, like a new drive, reentry of the serial number is required.

You can do your clone and test, but I bet it won't work without reentering the serial number.

This comes up when people install new SSDs in there Macs then clone. Each time I have seen this both Adobe and MS Office apps have had to have the registration info reentered.

3. StressedSnowCat thread starter macrumors member

But that seems counterproductive since you can only have two active installations of adobe products at any one time. I can understand tying the install to the mac's serial number but tying it to the hard drive is a bit dumb as hard drives fail and have to be replaced. If two hard drives fail on me then I can't deactivate my serial numbers on these and have to get in touch with Adobe to unlock my activation, not nice. Especially if they go broke one day and the activation servers are shut down... Is there any workaround?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not that I have seen. I suspect all of this is a reaction to rampant pirating of some of the Adobe apps like PS. Just my guess. I don't disagree with you that it is a bit draconian.