Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've been comparing specs between the Late 2008 Macbook 2.4 GHz (unibody aluminium) http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/stats/macbook-core-2-duo-2.4-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html and the mid-2009 Macbook Pro http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/stats/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.26-aluminum-13-mid-2009-sd-firewire-800-unibody-specs.html and I can't see much difference except the processor being a P8600 vs a P8400, the Pro having a higher max RAM limit, the battery time and lack of SD and FW400 ports on the 2008 model.

What am I missing? Unless one needs the extra battery time (no biggie since one can replace the battery on the 2008 model) and the SD and FW ports then the 2008 model would be a good buy, right?

Cheerio
/p

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rock on, thanks mate. I completely missed that very useful comparison machine.

Yes if one is in the market for a used computer the late 2008 seems a good buy.

How is the display better though? Will I be disturbed if I work in Photoshop?

Thanks again
/p

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
Thanks for the comparison site, I've actually just bought one of these to replace my MBA and I was actually wondering what the difference was between the MBU and the MBP and after seeing that comparison it doesn't appear that there is a massive difference, especially considering that the MBP would have been about £200 more than the Macbook I bought, I was actually able to use some of the money that I saved to buy a 4GB RAM upgrade :D

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The screen difference alone is huge. The MB screens are just god awful (viewing angle wise) for the price.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
The screen difference alone is huge. The MB screens are just god awful (viewing angle wise) for the price.

I don't think the difference is THAT big, I mean I work in retail and we sell all of the current generation Macbooks and to be honest they all pretty much look exactly the same, I mean I've not properly looked in depth and used each one for longer than it takes to set up and have a play with them but to me they all look about the same

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I don't think the difference is THAT big, I mean I work in retail and we sell all of the current generation Macbooks and to be honest they all pretty much look exactly the same, I mean I've not properly looked in depth and used each one for longer than it takes to set up and have a play with them but to me they all look about the same

Are you talking about the new macbooks (the unibody plastic)? I don't know if things have changed that much but even last gen the viewing angles were terrible!

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
Are you talking about the new macbooks (the unibody plastic)? I don't know if things have changed that much but even last gen the viewing angles were terrible!

Yes, the ones we have in at my work are the new unibody plastic ones, I've not received my new Unibody Aluminium one yet so I can't comment on how the screen looks

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I've been comparing specs between the Late 2008 Macbook 2.4 GHz (unibody aluminium) http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/stats/macbook-core-2-duo-2.4-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html and the mid-2009 Macbook Pro http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/stats/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.26-aluminum-13-mid-2009-sd-firewire-800-unibody-specs.html and I can't see much difference except the processor being a P8600 vs a P8400, the Pro having a higher max RAM limit, the battery time and lack of SD and FW400 ports on the 2008 model.

What am I missing? Unless one needs the extra battery time (no biggie since one can replace the battery on the 2008 model) and the SD and FW ports then the 2008 model would be a good buy, right?

Cheerio
/p

If you put the same amount of RAM in both the MacBook Late 2008 and MBP 2009, and put in the same speed hard drive, the late 2008 MB will be faster. It has a faster CPU, and the GPU is the same in both models. You do get a better battery in the MBP though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.