What are the futures/performance from new imacs that i will miss if i have this imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bo-waleed, Mar 24, 2012.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

27 inch iMac
    3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

RAM : 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    Hard Drive : 2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

As far as i know i won't have USB 3.

Anything else ? Does IVY bridge CPU worth it ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't know if the new ones will have USB 3.0, either. The difference in CPU is usually wasted on most users, as most don't push the CPU to the limits, anyway.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

What are the futures/performance from new imacs that i will miss if i have this imac?

Nothing tangible. You have an SSD for software, you have a huge hard drive for storage, huge video card, and plenty of power and the ability to upgrade ram to 16 or 32gb depending on the model. It really doesn't get much better than that. As for USB 3.0, if it is mostly for backup then it's not really a big deal at all - Firewire 800 is fine for my uses.

Ivy bridge is less about powerful CPU's and more about power consumption of CPU's - this can make a difference in a laptop (lighter, thinner and/or longer battery life) but does nothing significant for a desktop.

4. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

So it's alright.

But i forget to say that i would like to game on it, Will i have problems running games ?

5. leman macrumors 604

That card is basically (a slightly under-clocked) desktop Radeon 6850. See the benchmarks for that card to get a rough idea about what it can do.

You should be able to run most games in a few years to come at 1080p ~medium/high settings without AA. Some of the games will run well in 1440p also at medium settings (for example Skyrim, WoW, Mass Effect 3 etc).

6. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

What about the frame rate ? well i want to play games on it because of 60fps.

I like playing in 60fps.

i guess i will have to play the next games in low setting for 60fps, Right ?

7. leman macrumors 604

If you want to use 1080p with top games (like BF3), 30fps is more likely. Skyrim runs at 1440p at around 35-45fps, around 50fps at 1080p. If having high framerates is important to you, the iMac is the wrong computer anyway, as its GPU will always be severely underpowered (well, or at least until they figure out how to make powerful GPUs with very low thermal profile).

I think you should be able to get rather good framerates when playing at 720p. Better than consoles, as least. Just make sure you sit far far away so all that blurriness doesn't make your head spin ^^

8. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

lol, Why ? Is playing in low resolution make it bad ?
    Sorry but what did you mean by blurriness ?

9. leman macrumors 604

Sorry, I meant "blockiness", but in the end its more or less the same. iMac has a 1440p display, this means that with the 720p resolution each pixel will be rendered as 2x2 native pixels - and this looks blocky/blurry. haven't you ever used a display below its resolution? Personally, I can't stand it...

10. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

What about connecting with external monitor that have native 720p resolution ?

Does this work for gaming ? will it look better than the imac monitor ?