What are the i3 chips in the new iMac capable of handling?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rmlred, Sep 25, 2010.

1. rmlred macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    I'm thinking of buying a iMac and using it mainly for editing 2-3 minute promo videos for a promotion company.

So basically the iMacs main purpose would be running these programs 90% of the time:
    Final Cut Express

And these programs would be running rarely, but it does happen:
    Microsoft Messenger

Will the i3 with 4GB of RAM work flawlessly and not lag, or do I need to upgrade it to the i5?
  2. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2009
    From what I've been told the CPU bump will get you 10% faster rendering speeds. So if you're rendering out a video on an i3 that will take 1 hour to do, if you have the i5 it will take 55 minuets. I don't really see the point in the upgrade. But then again, I won't be using the machine for work. Basically it might be worth it to you because time = money for you.

I think what's more important is more RAM and a fast hard drive. So you might want to think about spending that money on buying more RAM instead of bumping up the CPU.

Buying the i5 'futureproofs' you a little bit. But I personally don't buy into all that. There will always be something better/faster coming out.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Always Barefeats... to see where CPU/GPUs stack up against one another.

And the [​IMG] button at the Apple store to see if you can stretch out the cash and grab the next CPU/GPU upgrade by going refurb.