What are the main reasons you use FileVault 2 on your MBPr?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, May 1, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Bank documents?

Passwords?

Business secrets/ideas?

Copyrighted videos, music, etc?

I keep my mine on because if someone steals my MBPr I don't want them to be able to use it :apple:

2. kristenp macrumors newbie

I don't have it enabled yet but I probably should. A computer can be so personal and hold so much information about you, it would be silly not to take the precautions.

All my school work, logins, pictures, embarrassing stuff. All things everyone typically has and that no one wants others to see

3. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Peace of mind and I have a policy of encrypting every single thing.

People around me tend to go through my things when I'm not looking, and I keep just about everything stored on my computers, so there's almost nothing for them to go through

4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I used to enable FileVault until Snow Leopard. It wasn't the perfect FileVault, but it was a mid term between no encryption and system-wide encryption. I like taking anti-theft policies, so I use Orbicule's Undercover and I enable firmware password for blocking new OSX installations.

With Undercover, it's recommended enabling an account without any password so the thief will presumably play with the Macbook while he tries to unlock it. However, FileVault 2 only allows a very dumb Guest account (compare the Guest account before and after FV2). This will probably force the thief dismantling your Mac for selling parts since he can't even try to do something to unlock the machine.

This said, I use encrypted sparsebundles for storing work stuff. I also set its permission to 'chmod -R 700' so if the volume is mounted the thief won't be able to see what's inside. It's not the safest measure, but assuming the thief doesn't care too much about my data, it's enough to prevent him to take a look at my files without any effort.

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't have anything to encrypt :(

And it makes me feel lame. Nobody cares to see that I have dentist appointment or a sticky note reminding me to buy asparagus or my "late night" browsing history.

But I guess the main benefit in my case is that if someone steals it, they can't sell it and profit from the theft, nor can they wipe it and use it themself :apple:

7. krabdb macrumors newbie

But don't forget about problem with TimeMachine when FV enabled.

8. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

What problem? I don't use Time Machine, period.

9. krabdb macrumors newbie

1. Time Machine will not back up a FileVault-protected user account when you are logged into that account.
    2. Home folder will appear in Time Machine as a single large encrypted file. Therefore, restore one or more files won't operate - only entire home folder.

10. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

This is not an issue with FileVault 2.

It was an issue with the original FileVault, which was replaced with a completely new full disk (or rather full logical volume) encryption in Lion.

11. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah I see. Well, I don't see any use for Time Machine anyway so I guess I'm good for now :apple:

12. krabdb macrumors newbie

Yep, my mistake!

13. Honza1 macrumors member

Not true anymore, for long time actually - surely for 10.8 and 10.9...

1. I have FV2 enabled - and if I travel (especially fly) I enable firmware password. Makes computer useless for anyone (except NSA and similar "friends"). If stolen, chances of misuse of my private information is small.
    2. Time machine saved my butt multiple times. Recently I "improved" somehow OS disk (don't ask...) and Time machine recovered me back to my pre-improvement state within ~6 hours. And many times it allowed me to find my years old documents which I needed (I have few TM disks, one going back to before 2010). Great piece of mind.

I tested speed hit on FV2 and it is not excessive - with SSD it is measurable, but not noticeable in real life. IMHO, any Mac notebook today should have FV2 and TM used, they are convenient, reliable, and add functionality 99% of users needs (even though they may not - yet - realize it).

Spoken as someone who had one notebook stolen from locked car (hidden in trunk) and at least 3 hard drives died in the last 5 years (I do have number of computers in my care).

Experience : TM + FV2 = relatively easy recovery from disaster
    Even better : TM + FV2 + recent CCC clone = in operations in minutes

14. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, time machine is useful for only stuff on your hard drive right?

I have mail which is always cloud, calendar which is cloud, messages which is cloud, and all documents are cloud, movies in itunes are cloud, and songs are in the cloud.

The only thing that isnt is my stickies and I'm guessing I don't need them anyway.

15. chrfr macrumors 603

The "cloud", with some exceptions, doesn't protect against accidental deletion or overwriting files. A local backup such as Time Machine does help protect against that.

16. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

What do you mean? DropBox is reliable isn't it? :confused:

17. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

DropBox itself is reliable. But If you accidentally delete a file from DropBox, you can't get it back without a backup.

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I haven't enabled it yet because FileVault and login password are confusing me. It reminded me of Leonard or Snow Leonard when I opened Safari it asked me for password I was confused why it is necessary? :apple:

19. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Don't think Safari is supposed to be asking you for a password, never had it ask me for a password.

It's not really confusing, it's actually easy, you enable filevault 2, you store the encryption key somewhere safely (I store mine in a truecrypt container which is then synced across my devices with BitTorrent Sync) then after that, not much is changed, instead of entering your password to log in after the OS X boots, you log in before OS X boots.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can. Just login to your account at dropbox.com and tell it to show deleted files, then select the deleted file you want and download it.

I get your point about using sync services as the only backup, and it surely would be a hassle getting back 200 files like this, but for a simple accidental delete of a few files it is very easy to get them back from Dropbox.

[​IMG]

21. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Thanks, this is actually nice to know :)

I was not making that point, chrfr was. I don't think there's anything wrong in using cloud services for backups.

22. chrfr macrumors 603

Yes, Dropbox does offer the ability to recover deleted or earlier versions of files, but only for files deleted in the last 30 days. Importantly, iCloud has none of that capability.

23. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Worst case scenario, you could always send a letter to the NSA requesting for the file. They will have it :mad:

24. Doward macrumors 6502a

HIPAA.

My software development consists of PII, so HIPAA stipulates must be encrypted!

25. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Thanks I will try this later this week. :apple: