What are the media thinking??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Knowlege Bomb, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

So I just happened by a TV that was tuned to CNN and they were discussing the attack that the Marines are engaged in with the Taliban. One of the reporters pointed out that the plans for this attack have been broadcast on the major media channels here in the US for a while now. They guy agreed and said the Taliban have had knowledge of the attack and ample time to set up numerous IEDs in preparation.

Historically, the Taliban are more into the "blitzkrieg" warfare and are obviously not going to stand and fight when the Marines actually get there.

Shouldn't the US be a little more careful with the information that they broadcast for everyone to see or do you think this is an intentional spread of misinformation to give us an advantage?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Thread moved. Carry on :)

4. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8513665.stm

5. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I'm also reminded of the FIRST gulf war when Norman Schwarzkopf announced the military's plans publicly - and then did something completely different.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We're fighting cowards who hide behind civilians.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

8. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

That strategy is probably more effective. Sometimes... I think the media is our enemy and should attacked as such. :eek:

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think we sent Geraldo on ahead to inform the Taliban as to our troop dispositions. Wouldn't want to surprise them or anything.

I'm not sure what the strategic situation is, but it may be that the Taliban made it clear that they intended to try and hold the town. In which case they'd probably have some intel of an attack anyway, and the civilians can be warned.

10. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Who warned Al Capone that Geraldo was going to break into his vault?

11. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

This is the only logic I could find in it but it doesn't seem to be the plan.

Civilian preservation is something to be considered but the fact that these people can (and do) dress and blend in as civilians proves that the notion is a little far-fetched.

12. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Here's a plan dress like the locals talk like the locals blend in open up a few storefronts pretending to sell missile launchers and brief case bombs and kill the people who come in to buy those specific kinds of items in bulk. A villager comes in to buy a rifle no problem there is more likely a legitimate reason, but say a group of men come in looking for explosives and RPGs make sure they don't leave the marketplace alive.

Buying a gun is not suspicious activity in any country guns have legit purposes for sport, hunting or personal defense in my opinion--buying explosives and shovels on the other hand or buying 100 bags of fertilizer when you live in a trailer park or an apartment complex and have nothing to do with a landscaping business pretty much says you're gonna **** some people up and should likely raise some red flags.

13. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Geraldo... Good memories and fortunately, I didn't even have to watch Fox...

Once, when I was in NYC, I stopped on one street and started watching the television production that took place behind the glass of a building. Soon, other people joined. They were shocked to hear that I just thought it was interesting to watch how the TV crew worked. Apparently, everybody knows Geraldo. Maybe in the US. Maybe those, watching Fox. But I don't watch Fox, I occasionally follow US news on CNN and NBC. The ignorance of some Americans is just shocking.

When I saw Geraldo on My Name is Earl, at least I recognised him.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think you mean guerilla warfare, not blitzkrieg. Guerilla is hit and run tactics while blitzkrieg is a large, fast mechanized (planes, tanks, etc.,) assault designed to overwhelm in short order.

Lethal

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You apparently have never seen the Taliban Luftwaffe. ;)

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Delicious ambiguity. Keep up the good work.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The Taliban were in Iraq?

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Nicely done :)

19. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You're right. My mistake.

20. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

They are thinking, "if we air this, people will watch, attracting sponsors and their money." Was this a trick question?

21. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Precisely. Expecting the media to do anything but try to make a profit is just silly.