What are the most popular ways to protect in iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Denis54, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Denis54 macrumors member

My daughter was one of the last persons of her age without a smartphone. She works long hours and has no interest or time to shop. She has asked me to shop an iPhone and a plan for her. That is done. Now I would like to know how to protect it.

What are the most popular ways of protecting the physical appearance of an iPhone? She usually takes good care of her stuff but she will want to protect it somehow. I do not know much about phones so your guidance would be appreciated.

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Moving to a decent neighborhood...

Short of that, case and Touch ID.

3. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

4. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

I use a ballistic jewel case. Doesn't add much bulk but offers good protection. I've had them on multiple phones, multiple drops and knocks, no issues.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Naked, as cases do more harm than good (I'm serious about this).

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Ok Mr.Serious explain a bit more.

7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Don't use it. Keep it in the box.
    Well, if you plan on using it, get a good case from a reputable manufacturer. Otter box and life proof are two high protection popular ones.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Stuff can get in the case and cause scratches and more often than not, it's too late. If you screen the ebay listings for used iPhone 5s, quite a bit of them claim the said scratches were caused by the case.

9. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

AppleCare or carrier insurance. A good case and a screen protector. What phone and color did you get? If you got the gold i6, I recommend the Tech 21 clear Evo Mesh case that you can get from Apple. It protects and you can still see the gold and the white sides look good too. I use a Spigen clear plastic screen protector that I got from Amazon.com in a 3 pack.

10. ROYCE 415 macrumors newbie

ROYCE 415

11. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Cases on all of my iPhone's., and never had an issue as you mention. When I traded my 5s in for my 6,, the sales rep said my phone was the best he has seen to date.

12. azhava macrumors regular

I had a Lifeproof case on my iP5 almost the entire two years I owned it. Never removed it to clean it out or clean the phone, and it was exposed to plenty of dust, dirt and sand. When I took the phone out of the case at the Apple store to trade it in, I gave it a quick wipedown with my t-shirt and it looked just as immaculate as it did the day I got it. Not a scratch on it anywhere.

As to the OP - I've used a protective case of some sort on every one of my iPhones. In fact, I've never left the Apple store with any of my four iPhones without at least a temporary case of some kind on them to hold me over until I could find one I really wanted to stick with. I don't like the idea of using a "naked" phone because it's just too vulnerable to drops, water exposure, dirt/dust, etc. My phone goes a lot of places with me that are "dangerous" to electronic devices (off-roading, boating, beaches, etc.), so I prefer a sturdy waterproof case. Even if my lifestyle was less active/outdoorsy, I'd still at least use a silicone case of some kind with some protection against scratches, drops and inadvertent water exposure (spilled drinks, splashes, etc.).

13. cuongnq macrumors member

I'm uing Ozaki case, just 0.3 mm and fit with my hand.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If the sales rep has to say your phone is the best he has seen to date, yours is most certainly the exception as most people use a case and so they get scratched :cool:

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

While I fully understand where you're coming from, this is going to vary largely based on how the phone is treated. If you drop the phone even once in a hard material, such as concrete or asphalt, chances are the cases prevented far more damage than it could ever cause. Women also tend to keep their phones in purses with various abrasive objects. I know my wife's ohones come out looking mich better with cases on than without.

For those that never had an sccident with their device, always keep it in a pocket with nothing else, but also decide never to remove the case, I can certainly see the inevitable debris causing some light scuffing.

16. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I've used a case on all 4 of my iPhone's and the only one to ever have any scratches was my iPhone 4.

I certainly don't understand how you can claim that 'most' people who use a case end up with scratched phones. I certainly wouldn't use eBay as a measure.

17. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

A good case and screen protector go a long way to providing a secure environment for your phone. A cheap silicone wrap around your phone is not going to do a good job. Buying a well made case will. So spend the little extra money.

Yes I have heard of people complaining of their phones becoming scratched in the case, but it is not very common, they probably have a cheap case and these people are most likely to treat their phone poorly in the first place.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I prefer the following
    Ghost armor for the front and back of the phone - protects against scratches.

A case, just because it makes this slippery phone less likely to fall.

Safe phone habits, i.e., not flaunting it when out in public or suspect areas. Keeping it close to your body or pocketbook. Not leaving it around for someone else to pick up.

Find my phone, so if it is stolen, it won't work and the data is protected.

Touchid to make it that much more secure.

19. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Not true for me. Had my Black Slate i5 in a case with a screen protector on it for two years and it doesn't have one scratch on it.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You've hit the nail on the head. Those light scuffing are what people blame on the case in ebay listings.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

When I had an iPhone 4 my apple bunoer actually out some pretty good gouged into the phone. It was pretty clear that it was the bunoer itself, not even the dirt.

I've also had speck cases add some light marks to the phone. Admittedly I don't take cases off as much as I should, though no case maker rally recommends routine removal as far as I know. I've used other cases too, but not for a long enough time that I feel it's a fair comparison.

The last two years I've been using apple leather cases and have been happiest with these. My wife has had good exoeriences with various otter boxes; she also drops her phone rather frequently, throws it in her purse with jeys and the rest of the world, and sets it down just about anywhere when her needs to. Now that I have a one year old I tend to treat my phone rougher than I ever did in the past. I think that it's just too hard to generalize either way. The best thing, imo, is to tell the op about the potential damages a case may cause and allow him or her to go from there.

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Popular is irrelevant. She needs to take whatever precautions she feels is necessary. For some nothing is the solution. Others may use multiple solutions (e.g. case and screen protector and insurance).

23. srltzz342 macrumors member

I would say getting a case and a screen protector would be more than enough. Get something pink, though, since she's a girl

24. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo

I really like the Apple leather case in black