What are the problem keys on your iPhone 5 keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sch11, Oct 23, 2012.

1. sch11 macrumors member

Now that I've methodically compared my 3GS keyboard with my iPhone 5's, it's obvious that my iPhone 5's keyboard is messed up. If you slowly press each key in two or three places, you can clearly see error zones on the iPhone 5 that aren't present on the 3GS.

If someone else tries this, let me know if your worst keys are the "i" and "o" ("o" has a bigger touch zone than it should) and "a" and "s" ("a" has a bigger touch zone than it should).

Also, it would be interesting to hear from people who can compare iPhone 4s running iOS 5.x+ and iOS 4.x. Hopefully, this is a software problem. Although I sort of doubt a keyboard this bad could have lasted the life of iOS 5.x without being fixed.

2. Antitorque macrumors member

I have the same problem with I's & O's Also, I will hit N instead of the spacebar quite often. All other keys are fine.

3. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Perhaps it is just the keyboard anticipating what letter you will type next? When I'm just typing these letters by themselves (type the letter, backspace, type the other letter, repeat) I have no issues. I have noticed this while typing rather fast, but I'm never sure if it's just because I didn't move my thumb all the way to the letter I intended or it was just trying to guess what word I was trying to type.

4. sch11 thread starter macrumors member

I have the 3GS and the iPhone 5 next to each other on a table, and if I press the right side of the "i" key on both phones, I get an "i" on the 3GS and an "o" on the iPhone 5. So I don't think the issue is that the iPhone 5 is assuming I want the "o" from context. Also, when I'm actually typing words, the mis-presses never make any sense - I end up with nonsense instead of the correctly spelled word I'd get on the 3GS.