What are the proper steps to prep my macbook pro for sale?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eggtastic, May 31, 2011.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502

Eggtastic

I have a late 06' MBP. Looking to sell so I can upgrade to the hopeful refresh of the new MBA's. I have searched all over and could not find how to prep my mac for sale.

Concerns:
    1. Security Cleaning (obviously restoring the mac to its original state on day 1, but I need to know for sure anything personal is gone)

2. Microsoft Office 2004 (yes old I know but I want to offer it along with my mac so it will help boost the sale) (how would I be able to wipe my system but have this software remain on it).

3. Transferring music/photos (i guess obtain an external HD, but i also have a pc that i can store files on, suggestions?)

4. I have the original box, paperwork, etc.

Anything to add please do, and thanks again for anyone responding with valuable info.

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you looked at this yet?
    Mac 101: Preparing your old Mac for sale or recycling

And you can't keep MS Office 2004 on the Mac if you want to wipe it.
    Btw, you could either include the installation disc or sell them separately (which might get you more in the end).

3. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502

Eggtastic

i feel stupid. thanks for the link sir. if i can't keep MS office on the computer, how will the key code work if the buyer tries to type it in again. wouldn't the key already be sent to microsoft and not be able to be used again?