What are the pros and cons of running Bootcamp parition from Fusion?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Feb 2, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Could anybody please let me know the answer? Also, do 3D applications run faster/slower if I do it this way?

2. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Obviously, you can reboot into windows if you want to play games or have Windows have the full speed of the hardware.

Bootcamp partition also has it's own dedicated partition on the hard drive, whereas with a standalone VM you're using a dynamically-allocated file on the hard disk, so in most cases you're getting better hard drive speeds running from a boot camp partition as opposed to a virtual disk.

Do 3d applications run faster or slower than what? Booting into bootcamp? Slower for sure, whether you're running from a boot camp partition or from a virtual machine, just the nature of virtualization.

In pretty much every case I would say Boot Camp Speed > Virtual Machine Running a Bootcamp Partition Speed > Standalone Virtual Machine Speed

3. MurphyM macrumors 6502

I posted about this a few weeks ago. For me, the biggest issue was that I couldn't suspend the Windows session when running under Fusion. It's not supported (and is unlikely to be) when you're using Fusion to access a Bootcamp install.

So every time I wanted to use Windows, even in Fusion, I had to wait for it to boot up. The snapshot feature doesn't work either.

I didn't notice any loss of functionality when running under Fusion, so I eventually converted from Bootcamp to a regular Fusion vm. By doing so it's easy to back up your Windows install, just copy it to another machine or drive. That's nice when you want to reclaim some space for a special project or emergency. My post covers how to convert.

4. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

unlikely is an understatement as suspending a boot camp virtual machine will undoubtedly result in a corrupted partition

5. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

As far as I know, the virtual video card on the VMWare VM is not as powerful as the real video card on the Mac, and does not support 3D as well. This could be an issue for gamers or if you are doing 3D graphics such as AutoCAD.

Anyone know what the actual hardware specs of the VMWare virtual machine are? Obviously you can choose amount of RAM, processors, hard drive, etc, but what about the video card? Does it just 'pick up' what real card is installed in the system? I'm having a hard time trying to find this on VMWare's site.