What are the pros of increased screen size of the MBP 16"?

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, it seems that the resolutions is still the same as previous models. The text size for 15" at the same resolutions is already clear enough. I don't need to make them bigger. So what are the pros of having 16" screen when the resolutions remains the same as that of the 15" models?

seangrimes590

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
Villanova, PA
Hi, it seems that the resolutions is still the same as previous models. The text size for 15" at the same resolutions is already clear enough. I don't need to make them bigger. So what are the pros of having 16" screen when the resolutions remains the same as that of the 15" models?
The resolution isn't the same, nor is the ppi.

Reactions: hajime

Ryan P

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
Text should actually be slightly smaller. The change in resolution is what you would expect from 15” -> 16”, but the screen size has only gone from 15.4” to 16”.

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Thanks for the correction. I wonder how good it is given that I am used to 4K resolutions.
I am used to 4K too, but the MBP (even the 2014 one I have) is the one I keep going to. That thing is better than even the latest laptops. Resolution aint everything. I find Apple's displays consistently notches above everything else out there - I believe its due to their calibration and attention to detail.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Benefit? Not much. You have a few more pixels backing the same logical resolutions as in the previous model, so the sampling density has increased (albeit very slightly), other than that you’d get a bit more real screen estate when working with software that can take advantage of a HiDPI screen. Overall, it’s pretty much the old but slightly different.

Text should actually be slightly smaller. The change in resolution is what you would expect from 15” -> 16”, but the screen size has only gone from 15.4” to 16”.
The logical resolution is still the same, which is what matters. The text will therefore be slightly bigger

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Benefit? Not much. You have a few more pixels backing the same logical resolutions as in the previous model, so the sampling density has increased (albeit very slightly), other than that you’d get a bit more real screen estate when working with software that can take advantage of a HiDPI screen. Overall, it’s pretty much the old but slightly different.

The logical resolution is still the same, which is what matters. The text will therefore be slightly bigger
Thanks but at the cost of heavier weight. My Thinkpad P53 with 4K screen is causing me backpain. Lenovo also seems to have problem with backlight bleeding and IPS glow on their P-series workstations. Hope the 16" MBP screen is as good as those of previous generation.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks but at the cost of heavier weight. My Thinkpad P53 with 4K screen is causing me backpain. Lenovo also seems to have problem with backlight bleeding and IPS glow on their P-series workstations. Hope the 16" MBP screen is as good as those of previous generation.
The P53 is still half a kg more and is a much bigger laptop. The 16” mbp will have a better weight distribution so I doubt you’ll notice that much difference from the 15”...

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Bigger text means I can run more comfortably in the scaled resolution modes. Even perhaps the most scaled one. I am currently on one step in (on my 15” mbp), two steps in makes text too small which I am hoping gets better on the 16 incher. I would love to have a lot more content on the screen at the same time...

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
It's not. Each "scaled" resolution is larger by about the same amount as the physical resolution increase. Max is 2048x1280 instead of 1920x1200 for example. So text size is also about the same (ever so slightly smaller since its 226ppi instead of 220).

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
It's not. Each "scaled" resolution is larger by about the same amount as the physical resolution increase. Max is 2048x1280 instead of 1920x1200 for example. So text size is also about the same (ever so slightly smaller since its 226ppi instead of 220).
That’s weird, since Apple’s documentation states something different. Do you have a 16” at hand?

poorcody

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2013
That’s weird, since Apple’s documentation states something different. Do you have a 16” at hand?
Yeah, the tech page says the resolutions are the same as the 15", but a number of people in other threads have reported that in fact they are higher to match the new panel's resolution.