What are the pro's of the Apple ACD compared to an Ultrasharp Dell?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stateofmind, Feb 14, 2009.

1. stateofmind macrumors regular

I LOVE the look of the ACD but does it have enough positives over the Ultrasharp? From what I remember from a couple years ago, the Dell's and ACD's were the same quality but the Dell's were hundreds of dollars cheaper. Is this still the case?

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Those comparing LED ACD to inferior, cheaper Dell/HP monitors: You might want to double check the specs.

First, those comparing it to cheap TN based panels: Forget it. This monitor is leagues above those. For an immediate comparison, go to an Apple Store and look at this LED monitor, then turn around and look at a 22" iMac screen (TN based). The difference in image quality is startling.

PVA panels, that's a much closer comparison. However, PVA panels (the Dell 24" is infamous for this) typically suffer from mild output lag, which makes them less desirable for gaming. An HP monitor I tried (LP2275W) had so much output lag that I noticed it even on basic mouse movements. I tested the Apple LED and noticed no output lag - in Quake 3, the ultimate litmus test.

Also, 14 ms response is fairly typical for an IPS panel. Comparing response times between panel types is tricky and not as clear-cut as you would think. That said, I noticed no ghosting or blurring in my gaming tests on the Apple LED.

Try to find another output lag free IPS monitor with LED backlighting made with aluminum & glass, integrated camera, mic and speakers, MagSafe charger, three USB ports and Mini DisplayPort for $900.

Ha!

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you need a unibody computer to run the newest 24"; the 20" ACD has a better panel than the Ultrasharp, so it's definitely worth the premium. Now if you are moving to 30", then get the 30" Dell Ultrasharp—best of them all.

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Depending on what Ultrasharp you go for, will depend on the Panel you get. All the ACD's have S-IPS Panels, the Ultrasharps use a variety, the 24"+ Monitors Have high Quality Panels.

For the less money, you get More Inputs, a better warranty, and added features.

Only get an ACD if you can afford one, and are only going be using it with one PC.