what are the real issues in the election?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by furcalchick, Nov 29, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i saw a thread like this on another forum, asking the people what issues do they think were the big issues for them in the upcoming election. because honestly, they felt that many of the issues we want to hear about aren't being talked about by the media or otherwise.

i'm going to propose the same question to those here at macrumors, what issues do you think are the most important to you in the upcoming election.

i personally think there are two biggies that are going way under the radar. first is who has more influence in america now: big multi-nationals or individuals? i ask that since it seems like sometimes, things are done to only benefit the corporations with no benefit to us, and i feel this is just getting worse.

second one is related to environmental policy, with emphasis how to deal with the impending oil shortage. more than likely, we'll have 5 buck gas during the next administration, and we'll have to figure out a way to either get more oil (which could have dramatic environmental impact) or use oil more efficiently (by either using alt. fuel or using oil less and finding other ways to get around). i know some people that would like to drill off the florida coast line, but is a few extra years of oil worth potentially ruining the local beaches and ecosystem forever? i don't. and also, i know many people think protecting the environment is hippie and we should do whatever we want to the land, which causes a bunch of problems i don't want to get into right now.

another one i think won't be in play too much for now but will probably get started up in the next five years is gene discrimination (i.e. will someone with a cancer gene be treated as less of a person than someone that doesn't). will we be headed down the road of genetic perfection or of diversity and acceptance? the health policy is going to be huge i think for me.

that's it for me, at least right now. what are yours?

2. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Getting as many Republicans out of office as possible. And sending Democrats who went along with their policies to the unemployment line as well.

Hmm...maybe that's a goal more than an issue.

Issues: personal freedom is big one with me. Also the eminent domain issue. The city is trying to level an entire city block of businesses in my neighborhood because they have decided their isn't enough tax revenue coming from that area. And of course, you guessed it- they're all small, local businesses. We have community meetings going on to fight it. Also, we need a better supreme court.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Getting as many Democrats out of office as possible. And sending Republicans who went along with there policies to the unemployment line as well.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good luck with that. ;)

6. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

as always - the economy

and the sub issues currently believed to be effecting it - healthcare costs, oversea jobs, unregulated immigration, oil and tax rates.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Depends on where you live. They can't even find a democrat to run for Hagel's Senate spot in my state.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...do any democrats even live in Nebraska? ;)

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Just to throw it out there, one thing I always try to keep in mind with presidential elections is how successful they usually are with domestic versus international policy when they are actually in office. Just look around for some stats. While we might say that a lot of domestic issues are very important to us, the president is actually at a significant disadvantage to get unpopular domestic issues through. This is, of course, just looking at the raw data.

Anyways, just something to keep in mind :)

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The only thing I want is for you guys to get someone competent.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I wouldn't hold your breath.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The real issue is representation, at the moment we have none from either party and both don't seem to be interested in our borders nor our own sovereignty nor the People (except when forced to during an election).

Both have shown eagerness for one way trade deals to help anyone but the U.S.

13. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

we're on the same page; i think the big mega corporates are the only ones really being noticed by politicians (besides themselves) right now, and as we've seen more than once, mega corporates are usually against the people.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You too!:)

15. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

There are always a few candidates that are willing to stand up to the corporations on both sides of the aisle, but for some reason no one votes for them.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

For me the real issues are the environment, health care, and the Iraq and Afghan campaigns.

Abortion is, in my opinion, a non-issue useful only in its ability to bring out the extremists who can argue relentlessly while the real policy work gets ignored. I feel the same way about illegal immigration.

17. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

1) Environment

This is such a major issue that only the disastrous middle-east foreign policy comes close. Actually, you can break this down into many smaller issues, and each of them would be one of the most important issue we have (global warming, water pollution, loss of habitat, depletion of ancient wells, corporate control of the food chain, etc).

2) The Middle-East Foreign Policy Disaster

We not only have to shutdown the current war, we have to prevent our current leadership from getting us dragged into another one. It is apparent to many, Iraq has always been a target for an imperialistic grab for the Iraqi oil fields. They now have the right dupe in place, if they can keep him in power. We must ensure we do not elect a 'hawk' democrat too. There are people on both sides of the isle being heavily lobbied.

3) Re-building the economy

Study what the republicans have done each time they have come to power, then do the opposite. We have to begin paying down our national debt. Not going to address this lengthy issue in detail.

4) Begin Comp Plan for Health and Social Programs

These need to be developed concurrently with 2 & 3.

5) Election Reform

We have got to get this under control.

6) Lobbying Reform

Can be worked concurrently with 5. We have to get these parasites out of running the government. They siphon off billions, which impact our ability to address the issues above.

Taxes and abortion? Not even on the radar screen.

I know that taxes are a big deal for some people, and I am not just talking about the purely financial issues involved. Some people believe in microscopic government, and little (if any) tax. For them, it is a 'pay as you go kind of affair. I do not mind paying taxes, when they are spent wisely and on good programs. Previous administrations ran up huge debts.

We actually had a positive cash-flow under President Clinton. His proposal was to do the fiscally responsible thing and pay-down our debt, and buckey-up the Social Security System, which everyone knows, has had a black cloud of uncertainty hanging over it for many years. But, the republican congress, and the new administration, got their grubby little mitts on it. They decided to send us all a check. We all received a tax refund. Naturally, the big winners were those who needed it least. But, hey .... what would you expect, fairness? Their rationale was, "This money belongs to the American taxpayer and the government should not keep their money. It should be returned to them. That sounded good in the media, but only an idiot would not see through the thinly-veiled illogic of that statement. The reason we have a national debt is because we already spent the damn money, and still are paying on the debt service. In most cases, we have not paid a penny on the principal. :eek: Taxes, well I suppose it depends on what kind of world we want to have our children, and future generations inherit. :(

As for abortion, that is only an issue for a relatively small segment of society. And, it is only an issue because they choose to make it one. Abortion made it to the Supreme Court and was ruled on. A woman's right to choose was upheld by the court, and is a protected law of the land. Those who do not believe in abortion, are not compelled to have them. The vast majority of Americans are either pro choice, or indifferent. The anti-choice rabble are the ones that keep trying to make an issue of this. They are just mean little people who have ordained themselves as the guardians of righteousness. :rolleyes:

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But Hagel isn't a Democrat, no matter how badly you and others on the right might try to paint him as one.

Really the only Senate seat I see the GOP having any prayer of flipping from D to R is Landrieu's seat in Louisiana.

Top issues for me? Iraq, the GWOT, and the economy. All going poorly due to gross incompetence. I'm sick of strengthening Iran and China's influence by our actions.

It's time to put the adults back in charge.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

is that even possible. Far as I can tell all the canidates right are are crap and when was the last time we had some one competent. Far as I cam tell more presidents are crap.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I guess by the posts you mean the upcoming US election. This is a International forum to the best of my knowledge and the thread title could be more specific.

21. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

To the GOP candidates it seems to be who stole what money and questioning if Rudy is noe-con enough.

For the DFL the issue is, Is Hillary really just W. with less balls?

I hate them all

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

For me: separating government from corporate influence; breaking up the near-monopoly ownership of the media by a few corporations; limiting our adventurism around the world; much more emphasis on critical reasoning and the scientific method in schools; health care for everyone; rebuilding the military that Bush has all but ruined; saving Social Security (by increasing the taxable amount); creating a national living wage; and I'm sure I'll think of some others. Somehow hindering gay marriage and banning flag burning did not make my list.

Oh yes, and taxes are a big issue. I want to see the capital gains and inheritance (so-called "death") taxes restored, and I want the wealthy taxed until the budget is balanced.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

1. Iraq
    2. Iraq
    3. Iraq
    4. Health Care
    5. Iraq
    6. Environment
    7. Iraq
    8. Economy
    9. Iraq

In that order.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think you forgot to put Iraq in there :p

But yeah, it's pretty much the same for me.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You must not have been paying attention lately, because that's not going to happen. As frustrated as people are with the Dems, myself included, they are really not happy with the GOP. The Dems win on every issue against them, even the economy and terrorism. And the longer they continue to support Bush and his policies, the worse it's going to be for them.

The best you'll be able to hope for is to replace a moderate Republican with another one, or one further right. Almost everywhere else, and especially overall, the GOP is in trouble. You can't tell me you don't see that.

He won't need it, you will.

My list is simple. National debt/deficit, our failing war on terror, the healthcare system, and a responsible environmental policy. In that order.

Barring the unforeseen, the House will gain a bunch of Dems, and Senate will probably get close to a veto proof majority of Dems, and there will probably be a Dem in the WH, even those most of us probably won't like them. They have a lot to prove, and will probably be criticized no matter what and held more accountable than the previous administrations, but as long as they're not as bad as their predecessors, and actually do something positive about the issues listed above, a lot fewer people are going to be as upset. Not that the talking heads won't still be complaining, but it'll fall on deaf ears it things are going better.

If they aren't, we can all be pissed off together, and those things some of you were ok with Bush and the GOP Congress doing will suddenly become terrible again.