What are the REASONS why someone would want to UNLOCK an iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Katin, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Katin macrumors regular

It sounds cool to jump from one carrier to another but what's the REAL reasons? .... Is it cheaper than AT&T? Better MMS? More Minutes? Better Service?

2. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

I just bought a 3GS in Sweden recently and now I'm moving to another country soon. The carrier that it's locked to won't let me pay full price and get out of my contract.. and they won't perform a software unlock either before my 6 month contract ends.

When you get caught in a pickle like this there needs to be some rebels that offer untraditional unlocks like devteam, geohot etc..

This is all apples fault btw.

3. IlliniDude macrumors regular

I'm on a T-Mobile family plan with my parents and brother. Instead of $70 + taxes and fees for the cheapest ATT iphone plan, I pay about $35 for my share of the minutes, data, and texts.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Better plans and service, particularly when it comes to think like text messaging. Or if you are on an existing plan, but just want that new phone.

5. tboooe macrumors regular

6. Katin thread starter macrumors regular

okay... T-Mobile actually sucks! I remember I had no service in my area and I live in King of Prussia, PA. Otherwise, I notice T-Mobile doesn't have the greatest 3G network either.... Thanks everyone.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's not just sold in the USA. :rolleyes:

If you look at the number of mobile network operators in Europe, you can see the majority of them are GSM. If you travel a lot, you can save a fortune by using local SIM cards.

It's also about choice. If you are happy with your current network and they don't have the iPhone then unlocking is the answer.

8. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Don't be silly. Sure the world ends at the US border. No-one outside the US could possibly have any use for technology. ;)

Why do people unlock? To get away from the woeful networks the iPhone is locked to.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sum it up

You unlock so you are not restricted to one carrier, great for traviling. It also it improves the resale value because now anybody on any GSM network can use your phone.

10. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

11. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

For me:

• T-Mobile has far better coverage than O2
    • O2 charge £10/month for internet, whereas T-Mobile you just need to top-up £10 and you get unlimited texts and internet the following month
    • Resale value increases by over £100

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Many people travel to or live outside the US. When I go to the TT this spring I'll run my unlocked phone; I already checked with IOM's telcom that it will work.

In the US some people don't get 3G service so Tmobile is a lot cheaper or they want pay as you go.

13. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

I was going to go on the O2 simplicity plan when my contract expires as I thought that was the best value on out there.

You got any info on the T-Mobile one?

14. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I live a little west of you (coatesville kinda) and the only decent carrier around here is ATT, but thats not always the case in other places. Unlocking gives consumers the choices apple wont.

15. Badfoot macrumors 6502

To make it a viable business user/traveller phone rather than the anarak lovers toy it is at the moment. Especially EU users, where we are encouraged to travel and 'deal' more with our new 'family'.

16. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

is this a joke?

cant you think of the most obvious reason

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I have T-Mobile which is cheaper for the iPhone and the resale for an unlocked iPhone is higher. Two good reasons i think. If you use AT&T then you have no reason to unlock unless you want to sell it for a little more money.

18. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

My reasons are :
    1)T mobile is cheaper
    2)why should i pay over $1500 just for slow internet over 2 years when I am already paying $60 for my home connection?
    3)unlocked iphones sell at higher prices.
    :eek:

19. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

20. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I'm not exactly sure what the deal is called, I just went into the store and asked about internet for my iPhone and they went on about this £1/day thing, then one of the staff remembered about this deal. Just go in and ask about the £10 a month top up for unlimited texts/internet, they should help you out :D

The reason I got it rather than a contract or anything else is because all it requires is for you to top up £10, then the next month you get the unlimited internet and texts, and you still get to keep your £10 credit for calls.

21. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

£simple answer better value for money on your tariff

currently in the UK we have only O2 as the carrier (which is changing within the next few weeks)

their cheapest iPhone tariff (18 month contract):

£29.38 a month
    75 mins
    125 texts
    unlimited data

I'm on Orange (18 month contract)
    I pay £30 a month
    200 mins
    unlimited texts
    500mb data

yes I only get 500mb but I still see it as more value for money than what O2 is offering plus I get added bonus of 2 4 1 at cinema.... this is why I unlocked my iPhone

22. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Finally! Is that the latest baseband that he hacked.

23. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yes it is and it has NOT been released yet

24. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Does your phone need to be jailbroken also using his software or can you unlock with Geohots if you used the dev team to jailbreak?

25. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1