What are the resolutions of HD itunes movies?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Sean Dempsey, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I've never bought or rented a movie or show from iTunes before. All my ATV movies are rips of SD movies.

That being said - are the HD movies from iTunes as good as Blu Ray? Are they 1080p or just 720p?

Thanks guys!~

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Per Apple's website, the HD rentals via AppleTV are 1280x720/24p. I think I've read where the movies are typically around 5 Mbps.

As for it being compared to BluRay, the answer is no. BluRay is 1920x1080p at bitrates approaching 40 Mpbs. BluRay will look much better in most situations.

Probably the only situation where aTV rentals will look equal to BluRay is if you sit about 25 feet away, wear glasses that are smudge with Crisco, and have someone punch you in the nose (so that your eyes tear up). ;)

3. mkaake macrumors 65816

Or maybe if you have a 720p set?

:eek:

bitrates are still a bit lower, but at a normal viewing distance, I'd really want to do some a to b comparisons to see if there's a difference... (of course, if they're that close, I'm not sure how much it really matters unless you're only watching movies so boring that you're paying more attention to the quality of the picture than the picture itself...)

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Widescreen formatted are 1280x534. No, they're not as good as a Blu-Ray disc movie.

5. kolax macrumors G3