What are the risks of buying used off ebay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Merkava_4, May 29, 2017.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Used 15.4 inch 2015 MBP. Seller says like new and stored in a hard case all it's life. Here is the item description:

"I purchased this computer new on August 24, 2015 from Best Buy. I am selling this because I just upgraded to the newest MacBook Pro. I have always kept this in a case and there are no signs of damage and it looks brand new. I still have the original box and it will come with the charger and the extension cord."

The bold fonts are the seller's. No warranty and no recourse, but I'd be saving about $400 off the cost of a 2015 Apple refurbished unit. Seller responds very quickly to questions and says there's no scratches on the computer anywhere. Your thoughts are very much appreciated. Please save me from making a costly mistake.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I would research the sellers feedback history. How long have they been a member with eBay? What other items are they selling? If You can, confirm the model number to ensure that's the exact model you're receiving from the seller.

Responsiveness from the seller is important and use your best judgment if you feel the seller is honest. If you feel something is not copacetic with this transaction, then I would not go through with it.

3. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your reply Relentless Power. The seller has a 100 percent feedback rating, but has only sold 24 items. Currently the only item for sale is the aforementioned MBP. The seller responds to questions quickly and uses real good punctuation which to me is an indication of intelligence and good character integrity. The item and the seller both seem perfect. The whole thing has got to be too good to be true. I'm waiting for somebody to say, "Don't do it!"

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Really good advice.

5. Merkava_4, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Come to find out, the seller has not sold 24 items, but has bought 24 items since 2005. The seller has zero feedback from buyers. I'm starting to have my doubts, but the wording of the item description and the communication from the seller is impressive. I was going to send the ebay link to Relentless Power for review, but he or she is not allowing private messages.

6. ascender macrumors 68020

But he's been registered since 2005 which is a positive. If the pics look genuine and match the condition described in the listing, which itself is worded well etc, then that's all good. Presumably he accepts PayPal which will give you some protection in case the machine is DOA for example when the listing clearly says its in full working order?

To be honest, I've been buying and selling stuff on eBay (including a lot of Macs) for 13 or so years and haven't had a single issue. Unless the listing is literally too good to be true (here's a shed load of shiny Mac kit, yours for £1000, just Western Union me the money), its not a bad place to do business. There's far more scammers out there on other listings sites which are much smaller and open to abuse than eBay.

RP's advice is solid.

7. Susurs macrumors 6502

Susurs

There is always some risk. I can share my experience that everything was always ok when I bought something, but that could be just my luck...

8. Gav.Winters macrumors member

They've been a member for 12 years. That's an incredibly long time to wait to pull off one scam so it's actually a positive. If you're paying by PayPal you're golden anyway. The only thing that would raise my suspicion is if the seller said lets do it off eBay to avoid fees or I only accept bank transfer (still not a deal breaker). From what you've said, you're good.

9. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

First of all, If you are only saving $400 off a refurbished, that is a very poor deal for a computer that has been used since 2015.

For $400 more you are buying a new computer with a full warranty, Vs a computer that is almost 2 years with no warranty. It's a no brainer to me.

m

10. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Personally I would never buy tech second-hand.

But I have sold many tech products on eBay -- and I am honest and my buyers have all be satisfied. Actually, that's not true. I once had a spat with a buyer who said the screen had a mark caused by an impression from the keyboard. I knew it didn't, but it could have happened in transit. I recommended he claim from the shipping company. I refused to budge on a return or refund. In the end he resold it on eBay.

So even with "great" sellers like me, there's a risk.

11. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

I´ve bought my part of used Mac´s on the Bay. Never been disappointed. I´m always using the same procedure as Relentless Power mentions + some common sense.

12. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Auctions are often more legitimate than buy it now - which are looking to get money quick and run. :) PayPal covers you anyways.