What are the US Police up to??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Dec 16, 2014.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps a police apologist will contribute a positive explanation for this spectacularly sensitive bit of police work:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ent-inspection-violation/?tid=pm_national_pop

...or perhaps not.

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Reading this only makes me more worried about the Role of America playing the World's policemen.

Back in the 1960's they called the police "Pigs" well even pigs are generally better behaved.

I think "THUGS"

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Didn't know that this ended in the 60s.
    Everyone I know still calls them that.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Well, we are taking about Texas! Ha.. I kid of course.

5. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sounds like an open and shut case of aggravated assault. What's the penalty for that in Texas? What are the odds that a police officer will get convicted?

As for who else gets painted with a broad brush? Banksters, I believe.

6. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Depends on the nationality of the victim.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

No, depends on the I.Q. The lower it is, the more likely Texas will decide on lethal injection.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

There should be a federal civil rights investigation into this, as well as the man with Down syndrome who was killed. Enough is enough. If you're not mentally competent enough to treat people with respect and subdue situations in the right way, then turn in your badge and gun. You're unworthy of law enforcement.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think the biggest problem is that this new generation of police don't understand the concept of unspoken authority. It's something they feel they have to rub in someone else's face, rather than imply. If the cop got smart with the guy, it's not against the law to throw some snark right back at him, so long as there wasn't implication of that.

What is wrong is when the cop takes simple snark as a question of his authority, and responds with unnecessary force the first chance he gets.

10. gertruded, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

gertruded macrumors regular

In the US, the police treat you according to your race. No white man is convicted of killing a black man, it just doesn't happen. Other minorities are also harshly treated. We live with it every day. Mr. Vasquez was lucky he was only tazed.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sounds like there is a lot of this - most of the instances I have seen that have turned ugly have been when people do not comply with the police. The police do not seem to handle this well.

12. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

It doesn't?

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/10/01/3574868/breaking-florida-man-who-shot-unarmed-black-teen-after-loud-music-dispute-convicted-of-murder/

Certainly you knew by making that statement that it would get thrown back in your face. But don't let facts get in the way of a good broad brushing.

13. astrorider macrumors 6502

What compels people to think resisting arrest is their best option? Does it ever end with the officer saying, "oops my bad, since you resisted I'm just going to let you go. Have a nice day". It's like when you're driving and another car is barreling at you from a side street towards a stop sign. Do you say, "he better stop because I have the right of way, and if he doesn't we're just gonna have to collide", or do you give yourself a little leeway so you can avoid an accident? It seems for some people righteous indignation is a higher priority than getting home safe.

14. sim667, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

sim667 macrumors 65816

One success does not change the tide of long term accepted practice.

This was an interesting read as far as I was concerned. Edit, actually reading that article a little more it literally would have been farcical for a not guilty verdict

And just as a bit of advice, try reading the article to check they don't totally disprove what you're trying to claim

On another note this is an interesting article about police violence I read today, its makes an interesting point at british prisons too. Whilst in the UK we didn't slavery or devisive laws in the same way, black immigrants did have a hard time when coming to the UK in the 50's and 60's

http://www.theguardian.com/global/2...es-us-all-the-way-back-to-the-days-of-slavery

15. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Hussein draws the ever ambiguous red lines and his men & women in blue are obligated to be his enforcers. Anything resembling a live human being is fair game.

16. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Just one? Certainly you underestimate the power of Google.

17. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

18. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

You never seem to pass up the opportunity to turn something into a political circle jerk don't you?

Some may say your obsession with the president is a bit creepy and over the top.

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

To which I acknowledged ;)

You may have missed the other thread where obeygiant has been lying about what I've said..... under the guise of "Logical conclusions" and "inferring"

----------

Get googling then ;)

20. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

A political circle jerk in PRSI? You have been here long enough to know it is common.

----------

Nope.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well the defense attorneys for a former Texas justice of the peace seemed to be trying to broadbrush that guy's capital murder conviction out of the death penalty category into a life term during the sentencing phase. Their appeal to the jury was based on... the mercy and forgiveness of the Christmas season? Reuters link

This guy whacked two district attorneys and the wife of one of them in a revenge killing for their having gotten him convicted for theft, which of course had cost him his job. This trial is for having killed the woman. But hey, he used to be a justice of the peace, so... so... umm.... meanwhile, yes, Texas does seem to fight tooth and nail against sparing the life of low-IQ people on death row.

22. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

Cops worldwide behave badly. In my country a car driver said loudly to the cops they did not have the right to do something. He wanted to take a picture. They took the camera away. He pushed them upon taking his camera demanding it back. He demanded their names. They refused. Upon entering his car he was thrown violently against his car, shoved in a police vehicle and taken away like a criminal, cuffed and all. In my opinion the driver behaved foolishly but the cops reaction... well... You can see it partly at http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/120355-man-door-het-lint-bij-politiecontrole