What are those things on the left and right of older macbook pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arctyler, Aug 20, 2013.

1. arctyler macrumors regular

I am looking at this macbook pro on craigslist, no idea what year it is or what not, and it has these speaker looking things on the left and right side of the keyboard, what are they? Also does anyone know what the date of this laptop is? Thanks
    http://albany.craigslist.org/sys/3983514117.html

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

First of all, it is a 15 inch not a 13 inch like the seller says. Second, those are speakers. Every single 15 and 17 inch MBP has had them. Finally, it is between 2009 and 2012.

3. arctyler thread starter macrumors regular

Is it just me or is this guy braindead? I am pretty sure the 13" didnt have those things next to the keyboard

EDIT: Wizard ^^^
    Btw thanks brah

4. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Speaker grilles (help let sound out).
    Ask the seller what the year/specs are on it (480 depending on the specs you may be ripped off).

I don't remember a 13" ever having the speaker grilles (only the 15" and 17') so it might be an inaccurate description on the sellers part. However, I am not a 13" expert, so ask someone else.

Maybe what you could do is ask for the "About this Mac" menu (the advanced one). Should help you with your questions. Be careful. It's a pretty shady listing... make sure he gives you ALL the info/specs about it. Maybe the S/N too.

5. arctyler thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is probably stolen... Any idea how to check for that? Also what do you mean when you say "480 depending on the specs you may be ripped off"?

6. arctyler thread starter macrumors regular

Also if I do go look at it, should I actually tell him its a 15" or should I just check out the specs?

7. Astroboy907, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

No way to tell it was stolen (apart from checking the S/N with some popular reporting sites but it may not be listed). I have seen quite a few eBay listings similar to this from people with decent feedback so it could just be the seller didn't really want to look into specs and stuff... Theres a bottle of something on the table in one of the pics so that might be part of the reason ;) Worth a question to see how long he has had the computer or how he obtained it. Ask if he has been the sole owner and if so if he has the receipt (serial will be on the receipt I think).

I meant $480 in terms of price (what he is asking). For a 13", depending on the specs, it could be worth $300 or $1000. So you don't want it to be the former!

----------

Umm... thats up to you I guess. Not sure. Lol I've only done a craigslist laptop deal once...

Edit: The other thing is that the listing could be of a 13" and he simply re-used pics from the internet. But from his pics it looks like a Mid '09 or newer 15" MBP

Double edit: one of the pics seems to be taken from a wikipedia commons page
    The other 2 pics don't show up as far as I can tell with google image search so perhaps they are genuine images.
    Triple edit: found one on a russian site
    Edit (MOAR!): last image here (and seems to be a widely used image)

My opinion would be to steer clear!

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My 2009 13" MBP doesn't have speaker grills. I believe none of the 13" models have.

I haven't look at the pictures, but I would take others' advice and avoid it.

9. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

the first picture is a 13" (no audio line in).

(unless there are 15"s that don't have one either that i'm not aware of?)

10. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Pretty good price if not stolen, wouldn't be surprised if it was already sold

11. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

First picture is of a 13" model, second and third are of a 15" model.

The pictures are not original:
    All pictures seem to be taken in different places. Especially with the second and third picture this is a bit strange. Why would the seller take two very similar pictures of the same computer on two different desks? They also look like they are taken with different cameras.

I would be very cautious.

12. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Take the advice of the guys here - just walk away from this, otherwise you're going to regret it.

13. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Yeah all the pics are from various Internet sources (see my last post). Be careful, OP

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You mean the speakers? They're speakers. They make sound.

15. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

There isn't any room left for the speaker grills on the 13.3'', therefore it's only to be found on the 15.4'' and 17'' models. That person clearly doesn't know what he owns.

16. arctyler thread starter macrumors regular

VERY nice detective work brah... thanks for the help, I coulda just got my a** shot up and jumped in downtown Schenectady for $480 bucks lmao

EDIT: Now the fun part, time to call him for the lulz, ask him if it has one of dem der super alien chips in it with the doohicky motherboard

17. ramram55 macrumors 6502

proper procedure will be to get the serial number, check apple site, get concrete mbp model and go from there. If it is too good to be true, keep away.