What are you doing on your New iPad that you weren't doing before?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KittyKatta, Mar 26, 2012.

1. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Sorry if this sounds like another "Revolutionary vs Evolutionary" thread but I have an honest question.

What are you doing on your New iPad that you weren't doing before?

I admit that I got caught up in the hype and sold my old iPad 2 in order to get a new iPad, but in the few weeks I've had it then I'm really not seeing it changing the way I do anything. I expected to read more, do movie/photo editing or watch more video but I'm finding I'm doing it less.

~ With Books then the retina screen makes text look amazing but even the slightest weight change did make it less comfortable physically.
    ~ With the camera then it still feels dorky, but what makes me use it less is the quality. Unless you're outdoors then it's not very good at all, IMO.
    ~ With Video then the aspect ratio makes movies either too zoomed or have too big a top/bottom border. Plus, I don't suffer from heat issues on any other app but I did notice the video did heat it up enough to be a distraction.

In no way am I saying its bad because I adore the new iPad. But I'm open to trying new things so I'm just curious if anyone else has a different perspective that I may have overlooked or if anyone feels the same way about it not really being "life changing". :D

[BTW. One thing I was thinking was that I would consider an iPad 2 screen on a lighter device OR more battery life in the current shell so hopefully it's not Retina or Nothing for now on.]

2. ljx718 macrumors 6502

If the screen is not the driving force of why someone got the new iPad, they should return it and get the 2. For me, everything could've stayed the same but with the retina screen and I would still love it

3. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

I'm coming from iPad 1, so this may not be a fair comparison compared to upgrading from iPad 2.

Faster processing, more productive and much more enjoyable experience due to no more lag of web page loading. This has to be the #1 advantage along with retina display #2. Extras such as HiRes camera and dictation are nice, but not driving factors.

4. rkahl macrumors 65816

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

This is my first iPad, so I'm sure my experience is a lot different than that of folks who have upgraded from the first or second versions.

I used to reach for my MacBook Air all the time when I wanted to look something up, check my email, etc. Now I find myself using my iPad for all that and more. I've been reading magazines and books on it. Been kinda obsessed with Flipboard. Yesterday was beautiful here, so I sat on my porch and finished watching a Netflix movie I started earlier in the day. In the past, for whatever reason, it never dawned on me to use my laptop for that. I'm not sure why, but there is definitely something in the form factor that makes reaching for my iPad more natural for such things than using a laptop.

I agree with the OP about the camera, though. I can't really see myself using it for either stills or video, but I'm glad it's there just in case. I don't think I'd miss it if the camera was gone, though.

6. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

a lot more gaming on my new one than i did on my iPad 1, otherwise I'm just doing what i used to do, just enjoying doing it even more.

7. superonyx macrumors newbie

I am considering getting the ipad3 or a Galaxy Note in the next few weeks. I have the original ipad wifi 16gigs. To be honest it has been my kids play toy for the last year or more. I used to use it more often but something changed. I am not sure what. It has plenty of games on it. It has a few news readers, netflix, ect. I am a screen nerd though so the hi res screen has me thinking of a way to use one. I am not sure yet if I will buy one. The money isnt the issue since a won a nice 650 gift card at work for bestbuy.

I may end up just upgrading my phone to the 5.3 galaxy note since I know 100% that I will use that everyday. My phone is a big part of my life. In the car streaming music, Taking pics of the kids, checking the internet.

So to the OP I understand what you mean. I dont want to buy another toy that my kids will just take over with angry birds and roller coaster simulation games. I dont read books. I will not buy any magazines since the web gives me the same info free and updated everyday.

Truth be told I dont need anything. I have a 4.5 inch samsung Infuse 4g, a 17inch 1080p dell XPS laptop, a 60inch LED tv, xbox360, wii, psp, ..... I have plenty of toys already..... but man that screen has me wanting more...:)

8. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I'm not doing much of anything differently. I'm just a tech geek and must have the latest and greatest.

9. tehBrad macrumors regular

I've been reading magazines, never did on the 2 or 1

10. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Yeah, I was thinking about this today. I'm using the new iPad exactly the same as I was using the iPad 2. I remember when I got my first iPad i had charged it about 5 times by the end of the first week of me having it. I have charged my new one about 2 times last week. I guess I am just used to the iPad now. It's become a necessity rather than a novelty.

11. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Using it as a free weight since it is heavier.

12. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

It indeed was an evolutionary upgrade instead of revolutionary. That being said, after using the new iPad since release day.. I tried out someone else's iPad 2, and while I never thought the screen looked bad before.. it seems MUCH worse now. I'd never go back :p

13. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

While I'm not doing anything different on my new iPad per se, I am using it more. I just realized Sunday that for the first time in a long time I did not touch my MBP at all over the weekend. The screen on the new iPad is such a pleasure to use for me now that I automatically pick the iPad when I want to do something. I never did that with iPad 2 because the web on the laptop just looked better.

I never thought that the new iPad would start such a fundamental shift for me, but it sure did. It's the first device that I prefer over using a laptop for surfing.

14. PONR macrumors newbie

Gaming alot, was goin to buy ps vita but decided i can wait until it goes down in price. Watching hi def videos.

15. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

4G encourages me to use data a lot more often. The speeds, they are tempting :p

Although I still haven't even come close to hitting my data limit. Used up about 250 MB of my 2 Gb since launch date.

16. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Don't hurt yourself princess.

17. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Still using it the exact same way I did with iPad 2, but I notice game loading screens go by faster, and for the few iPhone apps I had on there, they look FAR better on the new iPad.

The upgrade for me was the screen. The majority of my iPad use is reading books and some magazines, and it's SO much more a pleasant experience now with the retina display.

OH - and if I need to pull up info *fast*, I now use the iPad instead of the iPhone because of the LTE. :)

18. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

Nothing different, just more of it because of the beautiful retina display. :D

19. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I never thought I would be doing anything on my iPad 3 that I wasn't doing on my older model. The screen just makes it a whole lot more enjoyable.

Kind of like how my neighbors BMW doesn't do anything more than my crappy honda. It just does it better.

20. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

The two big things I do are:

1) Take a lot of pictures
    2) voice to text

I wouldn't use the iPad as a primary device for pictures, but when sitting around using it and the kids do something fast, animal pops up , etc.. It's capable of taking decent pics. No longer do I rush for the iPhone.

I have a few web sites and even as a visitor on sites such as this one. I actually find myself posting more with voice rather then just viewing.

21. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Use the Voice Dictation a lot. And I cuddle with it.

22. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Surfing mobile on LTE. I had wifi for my last 2 models. Love this. Even if it is a bit pricey.

As far as actually "do" the iPad does the same thing as iPad 2 just in higher resolution. Not sure what everyone was expecting.

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

24. dell who? macrumors member

OP, shouldn't it be "Resolutionary vs Evolutionary"? Seems like Apple was careful about the wording as usual because they know that the new iPad isn't reinventing the wheel. Wait a couple months for all the apps and the internet at large to take advantage of the retina display and a conversation like this will be a little different. We can already see how productivity would benefit through things like iTeleport and Ignition. A higher iPad screen resolution means you can actually fit your computer desktop in the display without sacrificing any detail. The screen upgrade combined with the performance upgrade will make the device capable of more things and reduce the time we wait for those things to get done. Again, not reinventing the wheel, but why do we all go buy new computers from time to time if our current ones still do roughly the same things? Too many people are looking for Jesus in their iPad. It's another tool among the many others we've come to know. It follows the same rules.

25. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Nothing much more than i did with my iPad 1, but this one keeps my hands warm too :p