What are you doing with your old iPhones? How and where to sell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Kendo, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

Kendo macrumors 68000

Will restoring my iPhone 3GS to factory settings with iTunes be all that is needed? Is my phone number still saved on the SIM card?

How much can you normally get for a 3GS?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Look at eBay and see how much they are going for.

3. davelanger, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

davelanger macrumors 6502a

apple also buys them back.
    http://www.apple.com/recycling/gift-card/

If the 3GS is in good shape you can get at least $105 for it depending on what model you have. (how many gigs) and how much wear is on it.

4. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

You can restore the iPhone through iTunes to factory settings making it like a new phone. But I would not leave your sim card inside the phone when you sell it. It will have all your data.

Regarding where to sell you can try Ebay, or do a search on the internet where to sell your iPhone and sites like www.gazelle.com/iphone will pop up and will be your best bet to sell now. If you have a 16 GB in good condition then you may get $121 for it. But check the site for detailed info.

5. moetownslick macrumors regular

moetownslick

lol my old phone is the original samsung instinct...i may actually toss it in the pacific ocean as Siri and i look on...

6. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Three words: EBAY, EBAY, EBAY.

Mac and other sides give you a $150 credit, if even that, sell it on ebay and you will get more than $200, if your phone is in good condition.

I assume you are keeping your phone number? Well, your SIM will be useless once porting is done to your new phone / new micro-SIM. Keep it, it is of no use to the next person after you.

7. LeeRod macrumors member

I will probably keep my 3gs. I doubt I would get much out of it, there is a small crack near the mute button and one down by the connector port. Plus when the switch is on vibrate it will sometimes just start going off by itself.

I should be able to just use it as an iPod right?

8. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

sure.

9. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Just found a 16G iPhone4 for 300. Receipt shows 1 week old. I'm tempted to get it.

No contract and an upgrade from a 3G. Sounds like a win-win.

EDIT: Currently trying to convince the wife that it's a good deal.

10. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

yeah i was just on eBay as well and surprised at how much the phones are going for.

i do have a question though... i warn you, it's a stupid question...

if we are selling our current 3gs phone, that we've been using for the last 2 years, is that phone considered UNLOCKED?

11. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

My phone is the original Droid Incredible. Verizon offered me $70 so i took it. Better than nothing.

12. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

seriously? people are suggesting eBay? has anyone sold on eBay lately? fees, people. lots of em. and Paypal too.

craigslist that ****, y'all. I did. I named my price and had 47 emails in under an hour. cold hard cash and no fees, baby!

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

You'll get more on eBay but you also have to pay the fees. Craigslist is the way to go but it's more work for you. I have my 16GB iPhone 4 on Craigslist right now for $375 and on eBay. I'm hoping someone makes me an offer via Craigslist but it's looking like it's gonna be sold on eBay and I'll have to deal with the fees.

14. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Nokia 1616 here. :D

It's only worth a few quid at most so I'll just keep it. It's on Orange so I'll just keep it for the 2 for 1 cinema tickets with Orange Wednesdays as well as a flashlight and radio, won't harm keeping it as back up too. :) Will be a bit weird going to work or class with an iPhone 4S one day and a Nokia 1616 the next though. :p

15. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

I have an Env Touch.
    Don't think anyone will buy it :p

16. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

eBay has something called "instant sale". There are no fees. They quote you a price, you ship to them for free, they put the money into your paypal. I got $97 bucks for an old 3G. :)

17. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

You never know. If some college kid just broke their phone and cant get a replacement for awhile they might offer you something for yours to tide them over.

18. meder87 macrumors regular

I sold mine on Ebay and got $256 for it. Granted I had the original box, earphones, usb cable with adapter, and 3 cases (1 of which was a nice charging case). I was pretty happy. It paid for most of my 4S.

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm hoping you are just joking around, but just in case: please don't throw your old garbage into the ocean. It doesn't need the toxic chemicals that are in that thing. There are plenty of places (check Goodwill stores, for one) that will take it off your hands and have it properly recycled for you. Please.

20. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

yeah but Paypal still takes a cut. plus, i'm not shipping any $300 electronic of mine without getting paid first. nuh uh. craigslist is the way to go for me.

21. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

A lot of people say Gazelle but I say CL all the way. I get HAMMERED with replies when I post an iPhone on CL, recently sold mine for $250 the first night I posted it. Gazelle pays around $185 for an near perfect iPhone 4 with minimal flaws.

22. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I just checked to see what they give for a 16GB iPhone 4 in "perfect" condition....$260. Anyone who accepts that is a fool. Even with fees you will get way more than that if you do an auction.
    I suppose it may be good for other stuff though.

23. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I got 190.00 for my wife's 3gs last month it even had a screen that would stop responding. posted that and as is with no returns.

24. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Last time I put a phone on Craigslist a nice nigerian prince wanted to give me a handsome sum of money for just cashing a check for him. :rolleyes:

25. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

My iPhone 4 32GB Black is going to my son, then selling his iPhone 4 16Gb Black on eBay and banking the $ this way he gets more space, and I get rid of the extra iPhone because then all three of ours are under warranty until April when my son and wife are elibible to upgrade :)