What Are You Going To Do To Celebrate Obama's Victory?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Oct 14, 2008.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Since all polls and almost all non Fox news analysts are predicting not only a big win for Obama, but practically a landslide.

As soon as I hear he's over 270, I will cheer with such vigor. :D

My neighbors will be so upset. ;)

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well, it is the patriotic thing to do according to Joe Biden.;)

3. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Poor wealthy people. :( I feel for them....

Let me guess. You don't mind the war and think it should be paid for with funny money b/c all we do is lower taxes on rich people these days.

4. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I myself won't pay more taxes, but my family would certainly be negatively affected by it. Will have to see what happens on election day, but I sure hope it isn't what the OP just posted...

As for the war, I say whatever it takes to keep our country safe. I live in a family of Marines, and my brother did three tours in Iraq while he was a marine, no hard feelings at all towards Bush and the Administration. Is the war expensive, yea... but so is NASA (which to me is an extreme waste of money)

Also, it is definitely too early to predict a winner so soon. Didn't this same news come out before Bush got elected for his second term?

5. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    If Obama wins, we're going to move forward with our short-term plans to buy a house next year before the government begins to hide all the foreclosures on the market. I'll make sure I'm signed up to the right newsletters, for Obama's inevitable broadcasts/updates on America's movement for renewal (and practical instructions on what we can all do to help strengthen our standing).

If McCain wins, I guess we'll make long-term plans to watch the dollar-plummet after a series of manic short-sighted attempts by the new administration, the GOP turn in on itself is McCain becomes a lightning rod for a larger Republican civil war, an epic Democratic implosion of self-immolation and finger-pointing, and America's global influence evaporate as the last vestiges of respect and reputation vanish into the beginning of the twilight years of the last super-power on Earth.

~ CB

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Probably.

:eek:

The main tax base is the middle class personal income tax.

I find it interesting that there is so much animosity and jealousy on this board against wealthy people.

Anyhow, I think that it is a bit early to predict the winner. Let's see what happens after the election.

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I probably won't celebrate until it's a done deal, which means a long day.

Polls mean nothing. Votes are what count.

I'm a little concerned that "the surge" (of Obama's poll numbers) is working (in McCain's favor). Meaning it might add to complacency, especially in groups that usually have low turnout.

8. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

The war had nothing to do with our security. That is a fact. Perhaps now, today, that isn't 100% true like it was back in 2003, but that's beside the point. I hate the fact so many "military families" find any conflict as "defending our freedom". Please. Now I don't know if that is exactly what your family thinks but my point in general stand.

Research done at NASA helps civilian life sooner or later. It's come up with things even better than that pen on Seinfield.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

You should, they pay all the taxes.

10. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

To be prepared for an upset by the McCain smear campaign, I will have my Bible and my guns right at hand, with all my money buried in the back yard.

To celebrate Obama's victory, I will put away my Bible and my guns and breathe a deep sigh of relief. I will leave the money buried in the back yard.

11. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

How much money are we talkin' about and is Paradise Beach nice in mid-November?

I could use a little vacation.
    I will bring my own shovel.
    :p

12. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    There is a special App on the iPhone App Store. It is called "Show me the Money". Download it for FREE in the privacy of your own home, and when it asks if it can locate you, choose "OK". When it is done, you can quit the program. We will contact you if we need any further help.

~ CB

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Isn't this a tad premature? And that's coming from someone who was one of the first people here to call the race for Obama. I still believe he's gonna win, but he hasn't won yet.

All I know for sure is that if he wins, I'm gonna watch my sales plummet, because the election will be over and the market for pro-Obama and anti-Bush gear will be so over. :D

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Drink :D

If McCain wins, it will be angry drinking. If Obama wins, it will be celebratory drinking. And since I don't have any personal days left, Wednesday at work is going to be rough ;)

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

In 21 days when the polls open in the morning PST, ask me when the winner is announced as it will probably be projected accurately by the time I wake up on online sources. Though it seems unlikely, there is still a four or five percent chance McCain can turn things around. (fivethirtyeight.com)

I would hope Obama wins, but if he loses, it's for him to lose at this late stage in the game. There is one more debate left, but I can't see that being a big factor either way or the effect of it to be felt in time if Obama is less than perfect against McCain. People will probably vote their party and nearly two thirds of the independents will vote for Obama. I see more republicans crossing the line than democrats. The indys have had a long time to mull this over and it would be unlike undecided voters to be that flighty.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It took NASA 50 years to spend what Bush spent on the wars. Your concept of the scale of the problem is seriously out of sorts.

Can I presume that you earn more than $250,000 per year, in that case?

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

But we had to invade Iraq to capture the rest of the 9/11 terrorists. You know it was those Iraqis who flew the airplanes into those buildings.

18. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

And I agree with him. Do I enjoy it? No, but I absolutely believe it's patriotic to pay my fair share (the definition of which we can argue over) toward the education, safety, security, health, and welfare of my fellow citizens.

As for the OP, I'm not counting on any outcome until the end of the day three weeks from today. I'll stumble into my home from running my local precinct's election, turn on the tv for the results, and go from there. I won't be able to watch or hear anything all day at the polls, so I'll be frantically trying to catch up starting at probably eleven or later.

19. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

No, but my millionaire Libertarian father does. He been working for forty years, plus, and doesn't deserve to pay more taxes. He started sweeping the floors of the warehouse and went to regional manager, and then opened his own business. he shows up for work at 6:00a.m. and doesn't leave until 5:30p.m.. He donates mad money to charities, especially "Habitat for Humanity", and is helping with me with the birth of his grandson.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So do I. It is what constitutes "fair share" that I disagree with.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree....I don't know why some people are against paying taxes. Where the hell do you expect the government to get their money from? Who's going to pay for the schools, and for the roads, the police and firefighters and all of that? Are there abuses? Yes, definitely, and those need to end, but you don't end them by getting rid of taxes.

I have no problem paying taxes. I've used the schools. I use the roads. I've used the police. I hopefully never have to use the firefighters but I'm glad to know they're there and ready in case I do need their services. I have nothing against paying my fair share. And yes, I have nothing against my tax money going to help someone who's not as fortunate as me.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Finally be proud to be american again.

Yes, i went there. Terrorist fist bump anyone?

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'll cry and then say goodbye to any chance of me ever becoming rich.
    Actually I'll probably just look a little harder at colleges outside of the US

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Right, and what's Obama going to do to stop you from getting rich? :rolleyes:

And also, doesn't just about nearly every other industrialized nation have higher taxes and social programs such as universal healthcare? Good luck....