What are you happy/unhappy about with today's MacBook Pro refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keitherson, Apr 13, 2010.

1. keitherson macrumors member

Hopefully this thread will keep some of the flood of new threads in one place!

I am happy with:
    - no significant price increases
    - longer-lasting battery
    - use of NVidia Optimus

I am unhappy with:
    - no Blu-ray
    - no default hard drive space increase
    - no MacBook Air/mac mini refresh
    - charging people for widescreen 16:9 aspect ratios
    - no i3/i5/i7 in the 13" MBP
    - no FireWire update

I will not be buying this time around.

Let's hear your thoughts :D

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Happy about everything. Of course the 13" doesn't have Arrandale but it got a whole host of other things while dropping price (in the Canadian Store) at the same time.

3. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

We really don't need any more of these threads. Just go to the Arrandale thread and watch people throw mud at each other.

4. webtoker macrumors member

- longer-lasting battery
    - use of NVidia Optimus
    - high res option on 15in
    - Core i7 option on 15in

5. highscheme macrumors regular

Happy with resolution bump option on the 15"

Normal about the jump to i5/i7 (everyone knew it)

Disgusted with the fact that they changed nothing else.

6. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Well since I always wanted the 13" and since they barely did anything to the 13" model I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of core i3/i5 processors for the 13". I really hoped for a resolution increase to at least 1440x900 in the 13" The graphics, well at least its a small improvement. Having a 10 hr battery will be awesome though :D I was also considering the 15" model too but now its definitely the 13". Raising the price $100 was a very very foolish move. Why are they using such low end graphics for their "pro" line? 1680x1050 should be standard. Overall I'm pretty upset I waited months and months and they didn't even deliver an Arrandale processor in the 13" MBP. I would have definitely bought months ago if I would have known THIS was the update.

GET WITH IT APPLE!!!!

7. sioannou macrumors member

sioannou

As a potential buyer of the 13-inch MBP i can say I am generally happy with the upgrades.

More memory , better gpu , better battery time. The only drawback for me is the C2D but hey, we can't have everything right?

I am going to order one of this kities over the next days. :D

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

1680x1050 is 16:10. An aspect ratio change would require a hardware redesign, no?

9. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

It makes me a little unhappy to see the princesses complaining about how the new updates to their luxury items aren't enough. It's not like anybody was promising a total redesign with this refresh. Maybe it's just me, but some people have some real entitlement issues.

I am glad that I went ahead and got a 13" MBP last month and upgraded the RAM and HD myself. It's a pretty great little computer.

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I'm happy.

Except for the £516 cost for a 256 SSD upgrade. I'll pass. I can't justify that, but it's something I really wanted.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would hardly call a laptop a luxury item for all. You can't really blanket that statement here and expect to not be corrected. However, for me the laptop would likely be a luxury item as I have a mini, a MP, and my work PCs which I have to travel with while on business. Travel for leisure means I take whatever notebook I own.

What is odd to me is that Apple calls the 13" a MBP but is sort of treating it like a MB. Without the inclusion of the new processors (notwithstanding the lack of the anti-glare option), it seems to me the 13" MBP is just a nicer MB. With all of this, I'd probably buy the 13" MBP today if available in stores.

12. keitherson thread starter macrumors member

sorry i meant 4:3; right now its at 3:2, and Apple charges for a 4:3 screen

which means the screen is 1440x900 instead of 1680x1050‎ to watch widescreen movies, unless you want to pay the extra money

13. twilightrose macrumors member

Very upset about the lack of a good gpu. Optimus is a good idea tech, but combined with nvidias current barely 'meh' level gpus, it's a waste

14. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

So it went from being outrageously overpriced to just ridiculously overpriced...:mad:

15. magallanes macrumors regular

Comparing the competitor, all of them are lowered their price while they are increased the features.

So in comparison, Apple is even more greedy than before.
    :mad:

16. highscheme macrumors regular

Has nothing to do with being entitled. We have to pay money for what are getting. Where do you come up with these ideas?

17. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I'm happy about the resolution bump on the 15 inch, it's one of the main things I wanted, although I'm unhappy about the price of it... Kind of hoped it'd be the default.

Happy about the CPU options on the 15 inch.

Generally happy with most stuff. GPU is more or less what I expected. Only unhappy about pricing really.

Would also have been nice to have USB 3, as that'll be what shows up the laptops age in a few years, but I wasn't really expecting to get it anyway.

18. keitherson thread starter macrumors member

Nevermind, I was originally right but i meant 1920×1080 for widescreen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

MBP's cannot play 1080p natively without being stretched unless you get the 100-dollar upgrade that Apple charges for the screen

laptops like the HP Envy natively support 1080p

but i guess it doesnt even matter because we dont have a blu ray drive to play HD movies on our laptops :rolleyes:

19. moocat macrumors member

It was a great update except for the 13's. I am only interested in the 13 and only interested in a processor improvement so it's a big let down for me personally. However, it seems like they may just be getting rid of their excess c2d processors on the 13 and I will be expecting them to update the 13 again within 6 months. hopefully they will not let the whitebooks overtake the 13s again. I think they could have at least given us i3.

20. keitherson thread starter macrumors member

You might as well wait for Sandy Bridge then, that's slated for January 2011.

21. phrint macrumors 6502

Happy with how long Apple took to release such a non-revolutionary update and see all the posters on MR piss and moan.

22. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

I would not consider a laptop a luxury item. It is a necessity for many of us. Is a Mac specifically a necessity for me? No, so in that sense I suppose it could have a luxury component.

Entitlement? where did that come from? I want to get my money's worth when I buy a product. Given the other options out there with Arrandale processors at a much lower price point, this "update" to the 13", the first one in close to a year, is a major disappointment. It has nothing to do with feeling entitled.

23. moocat macrumors member

No i dont think they can keep c2d in there for another 9 months to a year without looking bad. They will update the processor prob soon after US back-to-school. Right now it still looks good to the average non-techie. Also the battery life is fantastic and that is really important to apple so it has been a success of engineering in that way.

isn't it Sandy Bridge?

edit: hey you secretly edited that. don't put your elbows on the dinner table! :)

24. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Should have future-proofed last year. The people waiting for this bad boy pro line up surely have egg very much all over theior faces now.

25. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

Do y'all think it will come after the back to school is over, or with the promotion? That is when I am planning to buy anyway.