What are you running Avid Media Composer 3 on? Can it run on a Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BadDude, Jun 17, 2009.

1. BadDude macrumors newbie

So now that Apple is pretty much NVidia all the way, does this open up new hardware options for running Avid? the Media Composer 3 specs basically say anything Intel/NVidia will run it.

I want to run Avid at home and don't really care what the hardware is, I'm just looking for the least expensive. Low end computers are fast enough to edit standard def these days. Performance wise the Mac Mini is about par with the low end 13" MacBookPro and is $500 cheaper after sales tax in Ontario.

Anyone successful running Avid on a Mac Mini? What do you run it on?

(on a complete side note, I've decided to ditch my ATI graphics Aluminum iMac since Snow Leopard and Avid aren't supporting that video card, which is a shame.)

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

According to Avid's specs Mini's are not supported.

Lethal

3. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I've never tried Avid on a mini since I don't have one. I run it just fine (well, as well as Avid can run) on an iMac with the Radeon 2600 card. Then also on a Mac Pro with a Quadro. And also a PC workstation.

4. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Why don't you just install it and test for yourself? If you don't have it, you can download a 14 day demo these days off the Avid website..
    On a side note, if you plan to buy a 2K editing software system, maybe you should invest in a workstation as well, if you can't afford a Mac, get a cheap XP desktop.

Edited to add:
    I didn't realize you don't have a mac mini...

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Possible OP is a student. The education version of MC 3.5 is a steal.