What are your favorite nuances of the MBP that you don't find out of box in other PCs

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
BRB I can just close the lid, and then open it it, and it will be like instant on or off no delay.

BRB fastest boot times.

BRB I can highlight a word and just use the built in thesaurus

BRB I can hold down shift 4 and make a screenshot and it saves it to my desktop ready for uploading anywhere

BRB built in text to voice reader with the tap of a button. Highlight text and read. Especially combined with Reader.

(They don't have to be advantages that PC Laptops can't ever do, just as long as its not a typical feature that comes in box on most laptops. It can even be something that is executed in a way that encourages you to use it due to convenience. Also not talking about the major obvious ones like battery, trackpad, unibody)

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Another one??

How many threads do you need about this very same topic?

Also, its Command Shift 4 not shift 4.
And why does it say BRB before every line?

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
The other one was confusing. I wasn't sure exactly what my question was so I rephrased it.

BRB is a euphemism for non-chalantly trying to show off.

Pretty much something that you enjoy or are proud of.

I need help to put together a list of all those little things that add up to the elegant ownership experience. Little things that are too small to bring up on their own as advantages for ownership, but still there are so many of those little things that do add up, that it makes a difference.

Last edited:

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
The other one was confusing. I wasn't sure exactly what my question was so I rephrased it.

BRB is a euphemism for non-chalantly trying to show off.

Pretty much something that you enjoy or are proud of.

I need help to put together a list of all those little things that add up to the elegant ownership experience. Little things that are too small to bring up on their own as advantages for ownership, but still there are so many of those little things that do add up, that it makes a difference.
There is an edit button.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I've never seen BRB used in that context, er, I just assumed you were leaving between each line item :D

Magsafe power connector. I think it's a fantastic design detail ... especially once you've had a notebook (or two) become unusable as a result of the power connector coming loose from the motherboard.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Please keep this thread on topic. Thank you.

It's people like above who derailed the last topic. Not a single on topic answer was given that day.

----------

I've never seen BRB used in that context, er, I just assumed you were leaving between each line item :D

Magsafe power connector. I think it's a fantastic design detail ... especially once you've had a notebook (or two) become unusable as a result of the power connector coming loose from the motherboard.
Yeah true. Mag safe can seen gimmicky until I think back to how many of my own fathers Toshibas (3) had power connector problems

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Another one is the plug and play nature of things. I have an external USB sound card and even as a song is playing, if I plug it in, the sound will auto switch to the sound card.

I dunno if that happens now naturally on all WinPCs.

Also when you plug in other USB items, it seems like the little thing on the bottom right of windows installing drivers takes longer than "instantly" sometimes right?

Macs do still have better plug and play capabilities in 2012 right?

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
The lack of preinstalled bloatware

mission control/spaces/dashboard

system wide spell check

multitouch gestures

easy to use system preferences

mail client

Apple care

and damn good looks

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
The lack of preinstalled bloatware

mission control/spaces/dashboard

system wide spell check

multitouch gestures

easy to use system preferences

mail client

Apple care

and damn good looks
Strong entries!

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I just installed Windows 7 on my Mac. In order to get Windows completely up-to-date it took a number of hours of download, install, and reboot for hundreds of updates. Sure, Macs need updates. But, the task of updating isn't nearly as cumbersome as on Windows.

Windows is fine, but OS X has that consistent, polished look that makes it a pleasure to use.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I've seen "brb" used in that context. Like for instance, sometimes when me and my friend are chatting and we see something cool like "AT&T gets ultra-super-mega-amazing phone" I'll be like "brb going to AT&T".

• Backlit Keyboard
  • I can check the battery without needing to turn on the computer
  • bigass trackpad with multitouch

That's it.

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
I just installed Windows 7 on my Mac. In order to get Windows completely up-to-date it took a number of hours of download, install, and reboot for hundreds of updates. Sure, Macs need updates. But, the task of updating isn't nearly as cumbersome as on Windows.

Windows is fine, but OS X has that consistent, polished look that makes it a pleasure to use.
Haha! I did the same a few days ago. I only had the Vista disk and the Windows 7 Upgrade so I had to install Vista first and then 7. I think it took 6 hours to download and install almost 400 updates in total.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Haha! I did the same a few days ago. I only had the Vista disk and the Windows 7 Upgrade so I had to install Vista first and then 7. I think it took 6 hours to download and install almost 400 updates in total.
I installed Win 7 on my 17" MBP 2011 and it took around an hour or less.

Around the same as a clean install of OSX on a formatted disk.

Also:

Bobby Corwen said:
fastest boot times.
LOL.

What a nebulous claim. Compared to what, exactly?

jammypop

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
That I don't have to take forever uninstalling all the rubbish that comes pre installed on PC's!

That i then don't have to take ages updating Windows etc!

Don't have to worry about viruses!

Don't have to force the computer to have to close programs before it will shut down!

Windows these days is just a behemoth that needs serious looking at!

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
pros:
no ******** sofware like norton or windows :D

multi touch when i do use the trackpad

backlit keyboard

easily replace the optical bay with a 2nd ssd, or hdd if your into that kinda thing

the customization on so many levels

system preferences and easy up keep

quality of apple products

cons:
not enough usb or 3.0

no express card on the lower end models (a lot of pc's have them)

dummy proofing for novice users (they spent the money, they can buy a book with it)

constant changes, if it aint broke, dont fix it. my first mac ever, and it seems like they rushed into lion and took more out than putting more in.

time machine. works for some, but i can manage a back up on my own without local screenshots and constant backing up hourly, daily, and weekly. (but to most, i see the bigger picture)

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
BRB :D

BRB I can just close the lid, and then open it it, and it will be like instant on or off no delay.
Win 7 on my old macbook pro does the same.

BRB fastest boot times.
No. Not sure if Lion or Win 7 is faster currently, but without SSD Lion boots relatively slow. 20 seconds to desktop with a SSD is also not particularly fast.

BRB I can highlight a word and just use the built in thesaurus

BRB I can hold down shift 4 and make a screenshot and it saves it to my desktop ready for uploading anywhere

BRB built in text to voice reader with the tap of a button. Highlight text and read. Especially combined with Reader.
These are all features of OSX, and would be available on any PC if Apple would sell licenses for OSX. Has nothing to do in particular with the MBP.

For me the most important feature of the MBP is that it can run OSX. The second important feature is the good quality of the screen and touchpad and of most other hardware components. It's difficult, but not impossible, to find other laptops with comparable or better build quality.

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
oh and another thing that I ********** hate about windows, on a mac when a program freezes, its right click -> force quit, and BAM! its closed. On a PC it freezes, its ctr-alt-dlt, start task manager, end program, "are you sure you want to end the program" YES!, "windows is waiting for the program to respond" FFFFUUUUUU END NOW!!!!. This is my almost daily experience with windows vista, not sure if 7 does the same thing.

Also for simple programs it is so much easier to install on a Mac