What are your favorite nuances of the MBP that you don't find out of box in other PCs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bobby Corwen, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

BRB I can just close the lid, and then open it it, and it will be like instant on or off no delay.

BRB fastest boot times.

BRB I can highlight a word and just use the built in thesaurus

BRB I can hold down shift 4 and make a screenshot and it saves it to my desktop ready for uploading anywhere

BRB built in text to voice reader with the tap of a button. Highlight text and read. Especially combined with Reader.

(They don't have to be advantages that PC Laptops can't ever do, just as long as its not a typical feature that comes in box on most laptops. It can even be something that is executed in a way that encourages you to use it due to convenience. Also not talking about the major obvious ones like battery, trackpad, unibody)

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Another one??

How many threads do you need about this very same topic?

Also, its Command Shift 4 not shift 4.
    And why does it say BRB before every line?

3. Bobby Corwen, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

The other one was confusing. I wasn't sure exactly what my question was so I rephrased it.

BRB is a euphemism for non-chalantly trying to show off.

Pretty much something that you enjoy or are proud of.

I need help to put together a list of all those little things that add up to the elegant ownership experience. Little things that are too small to bring up on their own as advantages for ownership, but still there are so many of those little things that do add up, that it makes a difference.

4. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

There is an edit button.

5. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I've never seen BRB used in that context, er, I just assumed you were leaving between each line item :D

Magsafe power connector. I think it's a fantastic design detail ... especially once you've had a notebook (or two) become unusable as a result of the power connector coming loose from the motherboard.

6. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Please keep this thread on topic. Thank you.

It's people like above who derailed the last topic. Not a single on topic answer was given that day.

----------

Yeah true. Mag safe can seen gimmicky until I think back to how many of my own fathers Toshibas (3) had power connector problems

7. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Like what? Specifics? Anything software or hardware is relevant.

Runs quieter than the average laptop is another one....

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

do you think it was the thread that caused that? ... BRB to the topic ... the trackpad

9. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Another one is the plug and play nature of things. I have an external USB sound card and even as a song is playing, if I plug it in, the sound will auto switch to the sound card.

I dunno if that happens now naturally on all WinPCs.

Also when you plug in other USB items, it seems like the little thing on the bottom right of windows installing drivers takes longer than "instantly" sometimes right?

Macs do still have better plug and play capabilities in 2012 right?

10. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

The lack of preinstalled bloatware

mission control/spaces/dashboard

system wide spell check

multitouch gestures

easy to use system preferences

mail client

Apple care

and damn good looks

11. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Strong entries!

12. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

I'm not sure where you're from but for everyone on the web BRB stands for "be right back".

13. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Think of them as bullet points...

14. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

That's… uh… odd. I use a MacBook Pro because I love OSX.

15. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I just installed Windows 7 on my Mac. In order to get Windows completely up-to-date it took a number of hours of download, install, and reboot for hundreds of updates. Sure, Macs need updates. But, the task of updating isn't nearly as cumbersome as on Windows.

Windows is fine, but OS X has that consistent, polished look that makes it a pleasure to use.

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I've seen "brb" used in that context. Like for instance, sometimes when me and my friend are chatting and we see something cool like "AT&T gets ultra-super-mega-amazing phone" I'll be like "brb going to AT&T".

• Backlit Keyboard
    • I can check the battery without needing to turn on the computer
    • bigass trackpad with multitouch

That's it.

17. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Haha! I did the same a few days ago. I only had the Vista disk and the Windows 7 Upgrade so I had to install Vista first and then 7. I think it took 6 hours to download and install almost 400 updates in total.

18. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I installed Win 7 on my 17" MBP 2011 and it took around an hour or less.

Around the same as a clean install of OSX on a formatted disk.

Also:

LOL.

What a nebulous claim. Compared to what, exactly?

19. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Windows 8 boots faster. :D

20. jammypop macrumors newbie

That I don't have to take forever uninstalling all the rubbish that comes pre installed on PC's!

That i then don't have to take ages updating Windows etc!

Don't have to worry about viruses!

Don't have to force the computer to have to close programs before it will shut down!

Windows these days is just a behemoth that needs serious looking at!

21. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

pros:
    no ******** sofware like norton or windows :D

multi touch when i do use the trackpad

backlit keyboard

easily replace the optical bay with a 2nd ssd, or hdd if your into that kinda thing

the customization on so many levels

system preferences and easy up keep

quality of apple products

cons:
    not enough usb or 3.0

no express card on the lower end models (a lot of pc's have them)

dummy proofing for novice users (they spent the money, they can buy a book with it)

constant changes, if it aint broke, dont fix it. my first mac ever, and it seems like they rushed into lion and took more out than putting more in.

time machine. works for some, but i can manage a back up on my own without local screenshots and constant backing up hourly, daily, and weekly. (but to most, i see the bigger picture)

22. thundersteele macrumors 68030

BRB :D

Win 7 on my old macbook pro does the same.

No. Not sure if Lion or Win 7 is faster currently, but without SSD Lion boots relatively slow. 20 seconds to desktop with a SSD is also not particularly fast.

These are all features of OSX, and would be available on any PC if Apple would sell licenses for OSX. Has nothing to do in particular with the MBP.

For me the most important feature of the MBP is that it can run OSX. The second important feature is the good quality of the screen and touchpad and of most other hardware components. It's difficult, but not impossible, to find other laptops with comparable or better build quality.

23. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

oh and another thing that I ********** hate about windows, on a mac when a program freezes, its right click -> force quit, and BAM! its closed. On a PC it freezes, its ctr-alt-dlt, start task manager, end program, "are you sure you want to end the program" YES!, "windows is waiting for the program to respond" FFFFUUUUUU END NOW!!!!. This is my almost daily experience with windows vista, not sure if 7 does the same thing.

Also for simple programs it is so much easier to install on a Mac

24. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I thank you very much for that tip. I don't know if windows has these type of features, but I'd be lost without Target Disc Mode and Screensharing.

Attached Files: