What are your thoughts of AT&T's "FamilyMap"?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maclover001, May 7, 2009.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I saw an ad for this earlier. Basically what it is, is a place for people (parents/wife/husband) to track your family members exact movements, based on where there cellphone is located. If someone isn't where they're supposed to be, it sends a text message to the parent/spouce. You even get a history list showing exactly where they have been. You can see a demo video here.

My thoughts? It sickens me. Who the hell would want to be tracked the entire day? If you're not following your exact schedule, ATT goes and texts the parent/spouse. Whatever happened to trust?

What are your opinions?

Attached Files:

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Trust now goes out the window when parents have to rely on something like this. Wonder if it works with iPhones.

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

It works on any AT&T phone that is not pay-as-you-go.

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Parents who trust their kids probably don't use this. Kids who don't earn trust deserve to have their whereabouts known. In my opinion, "kids rights" have gone a little far these days.

6. MacVixen macrumors 6502

I'm ok with this in this day and age. When my kids are old enough for cell phones, I'm sure my husband and I will get this service.

Yes, by all means, trust your children - BUT I know that I pretty regularly lied to my mom about my whereabouts as a teen, and I'm sure my kids will do the same. Knowing where your kids really are doesn't have to turn into a major row but could instead facilitate some good conversations about truth, honesty and safety.

7. Go Dog Go macrumors member

Oh no! And did you end up ok? What about children for the last 10,000 years who might have lied about where they are going? Did they end up ok?

It's a part of life.

8. devobail macrumors member

I've had this on my kids Sprint phone for at least a year now. Works like a charm. Whenever you're late getting to school, I'm the first to know, and god forbid if they're ever abducted or incapacitated I've got a better chance to find them. By the way it's only $5 a month for 4 phones on Sprint. ATT is such a ripoff!

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If one's marriage has gotten to the point where a spouse is using this, then I think it's time for a divorce. But for kids, doesn't sound like a big deal to me. There are a bunch of similar devices designed for you to put in your kid's car that tracks location and how fast they were going and no one makes a stink about that.

Although, it is about trust, and if you can't trust your children to stay out of trouble and need this, perhaps they don't even deserve to have their own cell phone.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If I was a kid I would just refuse a cell phone if I was going to be tracked. Either that or a pay as you go one.

11. MacVixen macrumors 6502

Yeah I know, I'm a horrible parent for wanting to know where my kids really are. :rolleyes: You don't have to agree with my opinion and you are certainly free to raise your own children in any way that you choose.

And for the record, yeah I turned out just fine. My two brothers? Not so much. And maybe, just maybe, if my mother would have had this available to her 25 years ago, my brothers wouldn't be the screw-ups they are today as 40 year old men.

If my kids tell me they are *here* and instead they are really *there* I'd like to know it. Because maybe I'd like to have the conversation about why they didn't feel like they could tell me what's really going on.

12. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

If I'm the parent paying for the child's phone, I can make that decision. However, I would certainly tell the child his/her phone had that capability.

13. emt1 macrumors 65816

AT&T would do that for you. If you track a phone with this service they get a text message when the tracking starts and then periodic reminders forever.