What are your thoughts on missionaries?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, Aug 6, 2011.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I can't stand them. Had one come to my door today trying to discuss his religion with me and I was pretty annoyed and the whole ordeal got me thinking of past encounters and just my thoughts in general on this topic.

Going back to my days in hs, I was confronted by a ton of these door salesmen trying to save me from my life when at the time, I was fairly active in church but not their "church" and obviously I was wrong and they were right. I remember being tricked into going to church activities by my mormon friends (under the illusion of playing basketball or flag football, etc) as well as having girls I was interested in send their church missionaries over to my house to convert me to jehova's witnesses.

Then I go to college and I could not walk through the campus without these fellows asking me about my beliefs and if I have been saved and whatnot...argh. At this point in time I knew the game and I would say I was already a member of their church and that got them to leave me alone. That was one thing I could not stand in college was the constant attempts to recruit me to a religion or to a cause....multiple times a day. I am not kidding. These individuals would stake out the corners of major walking intersections and pick apart the walking mass to get people into their schemes. You know it is bad when wearing sunglasses and earbuds wasn't 100% effective as sometimes they would grab your arm!

Then I get to grad school and by now I thought I would have had pretty thick skin to ward off these attacks. Little to my knowledge would I know I would get stuck with an officemate (mind you 4 years younger than I) who was a christain zealot. I remember going out to lunch with the guy and him asking me straight up if I was a "brother in christ" and his religious overtone dominated the conversation. In fact, pretty much every convo I had with him would lead to him steering it into talking about religion...no matter what topic I had brought up, like football. How does that even happen? The same guy lectured me on how it was a sin to have a female roommate because I would be tempted out the wazoo to supposably bang her. well guess what, she is now a close friend and our relationship dynamic has never hinted nor been anywhere close about what he lectured me on. Yes, I guess it is possible to have female friends and not need to get physically involved you religious nutjob officemate!

In short, the visit I had tonight just made me angry at how people feel the need to insert their foolish doctrine upon me in my own place of residence. I do not care and I do not appreciate this gesture. I live a happy life and I do not go out of my way to tell people how to live. Just let me be in peace and leave people alone.

With this mindset, I can't help but become slightly angry and how all these church folk feel they are bettering the world by going on missions and making people adapt to their culture at the expense of their own and then feel they are helping these people see the light. It is aggravating that they have this superiority complex when it is often times these very religious beliefs that are the cause of most conflict and the retardation of civil rights progress.

/rant

I know my thoughts may be a bit chaotic but what do you think about people that think they are helping you but in reality are trying to force their beliefs upon you?

2. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Next time just pull your pants down and ask the guys in. They will disappear in an instant. Even more effective, wear a black leather mask while doing that.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Unless they are very young and cooked slowly they tend to be leathery and excessively hard to chew on.

4. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Missionaries and phone salesmen are the same deal, no deal.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I can't stand them and I agree that college campuses have become infested with them. It's shameful.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Come on. You could at least have made the title: "What is your position on missionaries". Softballl. :p

B

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Excellent idea :p:D

I've found saying "I'm not interested" and walking away, or closing the door, or hanging up the phone works pretty well.

Of course, if that doen't work I stab them in the eye with a red-hot knitting needle. :eek:;)

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I just look them in the eye and repeat 'There is no God'.

Usually gets rid of them.

9. iJohnHenry, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Assault, In The Name Of Christ" - Diana Ross ???

That individual would only do that once to me.

As Desmond Morris opined, I have my personal space, and you best be aware of that, for your own well-being.

10. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I work on the assumption that Christianity is a religion of forgiveness, so when Saint Peter, at the gates of heaven finds my sins in the book, I say "sorry" and he opens the gates and lets me in.

11. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

missionairy ...hmm some phrases sprung to my mind there

Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"

"Without religion, we'd have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

"There is not enough love and kindness in the world to give any of it away to imaginary beings."

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it."

". Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain."

..so why are we not allowed to kill missionairies as self defence

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've told a few to "**** off" before. It's rude, but IMO, not as rude as coming to my door (usually at an early hour on the weekend) and basically telling me that my religious beliefs are wrong and their beliefs are right and that if I don't believe what they believe, their god is going to damn me to hell for eternity. I'm nicer to telemarketers (despite being on the no-call list. I usually just chew them out with no profanity) and door to door salesmen than I am with missionaries.

My college campus wasn't infested with them. It was a science and engineering university, so there weren't a ton of religious students since religion and science don't mix. A majority of the students were Atheist, Agnostic, or might claim to be Christian if asked but not be practicing or very religious. But there were a few evangelicals, and the Christian student groups would do their jesus stuff every now and then but never bothered anybody - one time they were in the student center singing some songs about jesus. I had Slayer's song "Cult" on my phone - if you don't know that song, the chorus goes "Religion is hate, religion is fear, religion is war. Religion is rape, religion's obscene, religion's a whore" so I stood as close as I could get and blasted it, but I don't think my phone speaker was loud enough for many to hear :(

My college was good about not letting outside nutjob groups on campus. The problem was that the campus was not continuous. To get from the dorms to campus, or between 2 different buildings you had to walk through public streets not owned by the college. So a few times a year, the whackjobs would stand in that public area before the entrance to campus and hand out bibles to students and there was nothing the college could do about it.

The town itself where I went to college, let's just say parts of it were featured in Jesus Camp and not in a good way. Anyone who was not Christian felt very out of place outside the confines of the campus. The worst "missionary" experience I had there was I was at a Denny's with a few of my friends eating when some preacher comes up to us to try to convince us to go to his church. My friends said they were Christian and but not interested, and then thought it would be funny to point at me and say "But he's Jewish!" The preacher seemed extremely shocked and scared, he took a step back and was like "Oh my...you're Jewish?" and seemed even more shocked when I said "Not really, Atheist". I think he expected Jews (or Atheists for that matter) to have devil horns coming out of their head or something.

My cousin claims he once answered the door for some missionaries completely naked - but he's a pathological liar so I don't know if I believe him. Does seem like a great way to get rid of them though.

13. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I know this is a joke but it's worth noting that this mindset does exist (and has been practiced). And it goes some way towards proving the point that religion isn't humanities only major problem.

Religion is an excuse not to think but it's hardly the only excuse.

People will use literally anything as an excuse to act like total ***** morons for no good reason.

-Differentiation between schools
    -Differentiation between sports teems
    -Differentiation between skin color
    -Differentiation due to imaginary national boundaries
    -Differentiation due to language

...literally anything

I hate religion because it teaches people not to think, but without religion people find other reasons not to think.

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

OP, where the hell did you go to school? That's horrible. I'm blessed to say I've never experienced missionaries in my life. I'm getting my first tattoo hopefully next week, and it will be an atheist symbol. That should get rid of them if i ever encounter them.

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Frayed knot,it'll just turn them on,they like a challenge.

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

We get like maybe one a year? tops.

They're as irritating as any other door to door salesperson, I generally just tell them to go away.

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

A nice pleasant "**** off" usually sends the right message. But if any of them went as far as to grab my arm, I'd probably clock them in the face. Then ask them why their god didn't prevent them from getting a broken nose.

That's crazy. I'd ether tell the guy to stop bringing up his fairy tales in every conversation, or just stop talking to the guy all together. Preaching doesn't belong in the work place.

18. IntelliUser, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

IntelliUser macrumors 6502

And even if they're hot it doesn't help because you know you have no chance.

19. 184550 Guest

I remember when I was growing up in the '90s there were a ton of Jehovah Witnesses that would come up and down our street, like four or five times month.

TBH, it really doesn't bother me at all. I just tell them I've already got a religion and I'm not interested. Firm and polite, that's all you have to do.

There's no need to let it ruin your day/ week/ month/ year as it seems some people let it do.

I don't freak out when I get spam emails, junk mail, the rare telemarketer call or door to door salesman.

20. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

They push their agenda on me, I push my agenda on them. It's not my fault that my arguments make them lose faith.

21. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Last time Jehovah's Witnesses came I took one of their pamphlets and agreed to go to one of their meetings, in the mean time I studied everything I could on how to prove to them that their beliefs were wrong and self contradictory. I reduced a couple of them to tears, I felt like a dick for doing that, but man was it fabulous to never get another one of them.

22. 184550 Guest

Mind explaining how that is related to my point(s)? :confused:

23. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

You talk about how we should "let them be", why should we when they won't let us be?

In retrospect, I might have misread your comment, did you imply ruining the missionarie's day/week/whatever, or my own?

24. 184550 Guest

No, I was stating that person who received a visit from a missionary shouldn't let it ruin their day/ week/ month/ year.

IMO, it's not something worth getting bent out of shape over.

25. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Of course not. Getting the ability to tear apart someone's life would make it a great day, wouldn't it? :)