what are your views on stem cell research?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Delighted, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

For many years now I have heard a lot about stem cells and its potentials. From my own perspective I only see benefits from such research, cure the incurable diseases of today. But I do live in a very liberal city so I may not be catching as much of the researches drawbacks. Regardless, I still stand by the idea that anything that can help or improve upon any persons life is worth researching.

What are your views on stem cell research?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Now that they can create stem cells from other than fetuses, most of the anti-stem cell rhetoric from the right has to evaporate, doesn't it? Actually no, as we are getting a bit too close to "God's work", the controversy will remain. ;)

I look at it as a valuable health advancement tool.

3. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Stem Cell Research is as big as Quantum Computing research or Quantum Physics research, even the smallest development significantly alters our view of the world and area of science.

I have no issue of Stem Cell research, even when it was taken from Foetuses.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

An avenue well worth pursuing. I don't think its delivered on its promises yet but it really is early days still. Personally, I see no ethical issues.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I believe that stem cell research will benefit many people who are now crippled by various illnesses.

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Sadly stem cell research will continue at a snails place. Resources are limited and our technology is limited.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm altogether in favor of the smart use of stem cells in research.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This statement sounds politically/religiously hedged. If I am mistaken, I apologize in advance. How about an example of dumb use of stem cells in research?

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's neither political nor religious. I'd rather not see researchers being wasteful, same as just about anything else, but that's about it. Stem cells don't exactly grow on trees.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am very much in favor of stem cell research.

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I was disgusted at the legal restrictions on stem cell research, restrictions which were rooted in moral objection from the religious right. Glad we're finally making progress, but as usual - progression has been limited by religion.

The potential of stem cells is exciting and future generations should benefit greatly from work in the area.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm all for it. It's about time someone put those freeloading fetuses to work. They should earn their keep just like the rest of us. ;)

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It needs to be expanded. The controversy is a false one.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Totally for it. Not sure of the consequences for population growth, but meh.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So this can be said of human endeavors. It just seems like an unnecessary qualifier, unless it is based on doubts or something. Not trying to start something... carry on. :)

16. eric/ Guest

eric/

Definitely for it. No logical reason to not do it.

17. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Look at Kobe Bryant, first time in years he's been fully healthy in his ankles and knees, why? Because he went to Europe for a treatment involving stem cells, this treatment is illegal in the states and in this day and age that's just sad.

18. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Stem cell research is great. The naysayers really have no legitimate argument. Stem cell therapy may never be a solution for diseases that require recapitulation of complex biological structures (i.e. the brain) but that isn't a reason to give up without trying.

19. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Funny, although we disagreed once, I agree with pretty much everything else you've posted.

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Yeah same actually (had my beady eye on you :D)

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think it's safe to say that nobody here supports "wasteful" research.

But how do you determine was is wasteful?