What AW activity uses a lot of battery power?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Luba, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I used the AW for a few turn-by-turn walking directions and later in the day I get a notification from my AW that I need to be in Power Reserve mode! I probably had the AW giving me walking directions for a total of 30 minutes. Would you say using the AW to give walking directions is a battety hog?

Any other AW activities a battery hog?

2. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

Activity tracking uses the most for me. Since the heart rate sensor is on the whole session.
    Navigation is second place. It uses the screen and vibration alot. So a long walk with directions will deplete the battery.

3. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

The GPS is the worst power thief in the AW2,in earlier versions,it's the Bluetooth when you use navigation or GPS enabled activity functions.

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

You have a Series 2 and didn't have your iPhone? Next time carry your iPhone and the :apple:Watch will use the iPhone's GPS. Also the biggest battery hog would likely be using a Series 2's Workout Outdoor app, without your iPhone. That is continuous GPS and HR monitoring.

5. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Only seen that battery save mode message a few times,always when using navigation or GPS tracking. For my normal daily use,I have no battery problems at all. I got the AW2,use the standard activity tracker,and the music player remote a lot,and sometimes I use it for turn - by - turn navigation too. Other battery consumers for me is news feeds,email and messages.

6. Ffosse macrumors 65816

GPS tracking and streaming music to your earphones at the same time is a battery hog; saying that, I've never had the low battery message yet.

In general use I'm very pleased with the battery on the AW2 - notifications don't seem to use up much power.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

may not be considered an activity but the screen is likely one of the major battery users.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

What % was your battery at before you starting with GPS for the 30 minutes? Might be possible to narrow down why it dropped so quickly.

9. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Had iPhone with me, so supposedly the GPS navigation was from the iPhone.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 20, 2017 ---
    Not sure … 50-60%? Normally, I re-charge AW every day and uses about 30%. I'd say about 20% was used up overnight and in the morning. Then, in the afternoon I used the AW for walking directions.