What Bank in the US do you have account? want to move out from Wells Fargo

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheGenerous, Jan 22, 2014.

1. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I have an account in Wells Fargo and would like to open an account in another bank. Please recommend me another US bank.

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

Local credit union. Really isn't a use for a major bank when credit unions offer all the same services with better rates and better customer service.

3. Pkupman57 macrumors regular

This.

Though, that being said, I also have accounts with Citi Bank. They aren't always the easiest to deal with though, and have certain things you need to do, to avoid having to pay monthly fees for checking accounts.

4. Bear macrumors G3

I would also recommend a decent credit union. As for regular banks, you might want to look in to PNC if there are any branches near you.

5. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I bank with Chase but most Credit Unions have better rates.

6. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I'd recommend the credit union I work for. ;)

Free checking with 2.5% APR earned on all balances up to $15k, no minimum balance, no monthly fees, free debit card, $20/mo back on ATM fees. :D

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Credit union, for sure.

I heard it put this way once, and it still hits home:

When you belong to a credit union you’re a member of a not-for-profit financial institution. That means any profits made go back into the credit union in the form of better rates and lower fees for the members, who own and control the credit union.

When you belong to a bank, any profits made go to the shareholders of the bank, regardless of how well or how long you keep/maintain your account at that bank.

That info and the banking collapse in 2008 leading to TARP were the biggest catalysts to get me away from banks as fast as I possibly could.

BL.

8. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Well put!

9. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i just moved from a credit union to chase, i like the chase app so i know where my money is. The credit union only had like 2 branches and the online banking sucked.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I use a small, local bank.

In addition to the very good suggestion to check out credit unions, you might also check small, local banks in your area.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I've been using credit unions since I started banking.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Of course...six months experience does not an expert make!:rolleyes:

:p ;)

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Okay fine! I defer to your near-century of grand wisdom!:p

14. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Most big banks can go to hell.

I use a regional credit union, they've been great to myself and my business. And none of the fees that banks charge.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Touché...:eek:

And remember to always respect you elders...especially extreme elders!:eek:

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Another vote for credit union.

Have my bank accounts, auto loan and mortgage with the same CU. The service can't be beat.

17. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Only problem with CU's are lack of branches when you need them. Had my first car loan with a credit union and never had a bad experience.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I guess that is where I am lucky.

Of course, major national banks are going to have locations where you need them. I went back to my hometown, and thought I would be screwed because to my knowledge, the closest branch to my bank was a 300 mile drive. Luckily there was an ATM run by my bank in a mall, so I went there and avoided any service fees.

But again, being nearly screwed out of my home (My bank was Bank of America; you can guess the rest of the situation) soured me with them severely. Then add in the fact that they charged a maintenance fee just for having my account there (an account I had for 10 years prior to owning a home), plus 3 counts of fraud activity that took them over a week to reverse those charges, plus encountering another fee after moving one account away which had direct deposit, and that was it.

My current credit union only has one requisite: Live in one of 34 of the the state's 58 counties. If you're in one of those, you're eligible to join; family members included.

Plus, most credit unions talk to other credit unions, letting you avoid any further ATM withdrawal charges should you need to pull cash from anywhere. and 80 branches.

And there is nothing I can't do in my CU's app that I could in BofA's app.

So CU versus a bank? at least for me, Credit Union all the way.

BL.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You can use another CU's ATM and even do deposits and withdrawals at other branches. I've never found it to be an issue.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I suggest a credit union. Most accounts have no fee. You are not being nickeled and dimed or have services shoved up.

Like any ATM card, you can use CU ATM card when you get grocery for cash back.

Most of them are affiliated with other CU and you can use teller / atm for free.

My CU reimburses x amount of ATM usage from third party bank if further than certain distance from home.

21. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I have accounts with both a local Credit Union and a smaller regional bank. They are pretty competitive against each other, but the bank gets the edge in lending products due to its size. Wouldn't go to a national bank for nothing.

I walk into either bank and they know me and my family by name. That's worth something right there.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Frost bank. Texas based though, so probably not available where you live :(

24. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

BoA. Never had an issue with them.

But a local credit union is a good choice too.

25. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I use Chase too. They've saved my behind multiple times, so I've been very happy with them. QuickPay is nice too, we use it all the time.