What brand/kind of HDD is in iMac 8,1 (early 2008)?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wlow3, Dec 1, 2011.

1. wlow3 macrumors regular

My HDD is in a slow but sure death spiral so I'm shopping around for a new one and I'm wondering what is in it (other than being a SATA II, 500 GB) spec wise.

I'd like to compare its specs to the current crop of HDDs to see what I'd be content with.

I'm wary of say the WD Caviar Black because I think my iMac model notoriously might not exhaust heat well (the video card went out last spring) and the Black may add more of a heat issue even though it's a good HDD otherwise.

If something the the Caviar Blue or Samsung Spinpoint F3 (both of which reportedly run cooler) handily beat out the original HDD from 2008 then I'll still be content with the not quite Black performance. (I wish this could have happened later when the SDD hybrid Barracuda XTs came out or before the cost-jacking Thailand floods.)

Thanks for any input.

2. simsaladimbamba

Find out the model of your HDD via :apple: > More Info / System Profiler > Hardware > Serial-ATA:
    [​IMG]

3. wlow3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. It's a WD Caviar Blue (WD5000AAKS), so now Black seems too risky, heat wise for this model, and I should be ok with Blue or maybe Spinpoint.

4. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

You won't have any issues with heat using a Caviar Black. I don't think you'll see much difference in performance in your machine between a Blue or a Black and you'll pay much more for the Black.

I replaced the OEM 1TB Seagate in my iMac with a WD Green and the Green drive benched ~20MB/sec faster than the 7200RPM Seagate.

However, it's a really bad time to have to pay for a HDD. The 3TB WD Green cost $229.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Digital#2010s

5. Sonhascome macrumors 6502